Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Dodge Using Journey To Get Buyers Pacifica Could Not

Old 02-27-2008, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Using Journey To Get Buyers Pacifica Could Not

Man, I wish there was a grass root effort drive and try for the Challenger!

Dodge Using Journey To Get Buyers Pacifica Could Not
by Karl Greenberg, Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 5:00 AM ET
THIS IS THE YEAR OF Dodge. That's what marketers at the company are hoping for. Dodge, a division of Chrysler LLC--best known for its Ram pickup--is launching several vehicles this year, including a new crossover, called Journey, which goes on sale this fall.

At a press event in New York Tuesday, Mike Accavitti, director of Dodge Brand and SRT Global Marketing, says Journey is an effort to win buyers where the larger Chrysler Pacifica--a much larger vehicle--could not.

"We had a product strategy meeting where we had a chart with PT Cruiser on one end and Pacifica on the other," he says. Journey is in the middle. "Pacifica was too big."

He says the target buyers for the new vehicle, which starts at $19,985, are couples in their 20s to 30s who aren't ready for a minivan and empty-nesters. "We think Journey will also get people into the Dodge brand. We think about 70% of buyers will be from domestic brands, but a good portion will come from imports," says Accavitti.

Mass-market TV ads for the new crossover with three rows of seats will not make an overt pitch to moms. He says ads won't cut into minivan territory with shots of little kids leaping in and out of the vehicle. Nor will TV ads focus solely on twenty-somethings using Journey as a cruise-mobile. He admits that the company is trying to figure out how to address both active-lifestyle consumers without kids and young couples with.

Accavitti says that however the vehicle is positioned, the ad message will be about the vehicle's flexibility. "The ads will focus on how Journey can enable you to enjoy much more of life--if you can dream it, you can do it. That's the message." The car has all-wheel drive optional, Chrysler's MyGig entertainment and navigation system. He says he expects about 80% of drivers to be women, as was the case with Pacifica.

Also on tap will be a national grassroots effort. "We want people to see the vehicle, so there will be a heavy ride-and-drive campaign around things like the PTA, Little League, soccer matches and the like," he says.

Accavitti says the campaign will be weighted toward Internet and print efforts, which allow Dodge to execute creative for each buyer group. "Print and Internet will allow us to tailor our ads to match the target," he says.

Dodge also unveiled its redesigned Ram pickup at the Detroit auto show last month, and its forthcoming Challenger coupe in Chicago. The Challenger goes on sale this spring. The company is also rolling out a hybrid version of its Durango SUV.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:01 AM

Default RE: Dodge Using Journey To Get Buyers Pacifica Could Not

They'll be OK as long as shoppers don't compare a Journey to a comparable Toyota, Mazda or Nissan model, all who have 268+ hp out of their top V6s, while Dodge can only muster a measly 235 out of theirs... [:'(]
Old 02-27-2008, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

And probably better mpgs too? With ya....where am all the smart engineers?

Old 02-27-2008, 11:26 AM

ORIGINAL: DamnSkippy

And probably better mpgs too? With ya....where am all the smart engineers?

No engineer in his right mind would work for the auto industry, they treat their engineers like crap! when I first left college I was an engineer for a Tier 1 and it was a mess. I'm glad I'm out of that. my Dad's been a Dodge engineer for 35 years and is amazed at the way they treat younger engineers. no one gets hired in anymore, your contract for years with poor benefits and lousy pay. they don't pay you any overtime and expect you to put in 50-60 hours a week. no thank you not for me...

ok, sorry about the rant.

It's not that the engineers aren’t smart. It's the executives who care more about their paycheck then good cars.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Yankee

They'll be OK as long as shoppers don't compare a Journey to a comparable Toyota, Mazda or Nissan model, all who have 268+ hp out of their top V6s, while Dodge can only muster a measly 235 out of theirs... [:'(]
Precisely the problem. Bite down on your lower lip and pry open the wallet for the EGG version of the 3.5L already and drop in the 4.0L as well until they finish the Phoenix engine. I have my doubts that the Journey will be what they are expecting it to be. I'm afraid it will go down the same road as the Pacifica, at least I can understand the appeal of those.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 02-27-2008, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

It's not that the engineers aren’t smart. It's the executives who care more about their paycheck then good cars.
Fallacy of thrift, save money chintzing on those who allow you to make a superior product, until people aren't buying your product then wonder why you're not making profits.

Maybe the new management will understand the gospel of marketing and address your points. :-)

Old 02-27-2008, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

It does sound though that the new Phoenix engines should be quite competitive.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 02-27-2008, 05:15 PM

ORIGINAL: DamnSkippy
Fallacy of thrift, save money chintzing on those who allow you to make a superior product, until people aren't buying your product then wonder why you're not making profits.
That precise practice is what got GM in such a pickle in the 80s and 90s with their inferior products - release a half-baked product, upset your customers and lose sales... then improve it in a few years, but by then the damage is already done and nobody really cares anymore (take any GM minivan to use as an example). It so puzzles me to see Chrysler doing the exact same thing with this Journey (and the Avenger and Sebring, to name 2 others).
Old 02-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Amen, Yankee. Never give your competition a chance at making time with your customers. Keep'em happy and not wandering.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Honestly, just like the electronics industry, I think we need to have another automotive manufacturer in the U.S. that can build cars, build them right, and build car that people want to buy. Get somebody like Chip Foose and a team of designers to build some cool looking cars that can also be daily drivers.

Driving down the freeway looks boring as all I see are look alikes. Sorry, I know that is pie in the sky thinking.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

Quick Reply: Dodge Using Journey To Get Buyers Pacifica Could Not