Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

First Comparison- SRT, R/T & SE

Old 08-17-2008, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Comparison- SRT, R/T & SE

The Detroit News reviewed the three Challenger models. See:

All Challengers deliver, but SRT8 is built to perform

NEW YORK CITY The trio is complete.

The 2009 Dodge Challengers have arrived and they're starting to roll into dealerships. There's the mega Challenger, the SRT8; the high-charging R/T and the base model SE, which starts at $21,995. The wide range creates the possibility that everyone in American can have a Challenger. Wouldn't that be a sight? A sea of orange racers cruising down the road, windows down and the drivers' left arms folded neatly out the window in repose.

Recently, I had a chance to test all three around New York City and even after the flight back to Detroit, I could not pry the grin off of my face.

These cruisers share stunning good looks: Part modern retro with carefully drawn lines that point back to its inspiration, the 1970 Challenger T/A, and part present day beefcake. It's a head turning mixture for certain.

Advertisement
While driving the R/T to Raceway Park in northern New Jersey, most of the people I passed (and you'll pass more people than people pass you) did a double take, hitting their own accelerator to catch up and pop off a few pictures with their cell phone. Normally in New Jersey, when people speed up next to you, it is not to take your picture but rather suggest you're No. 1 at least that's what I think that hand gesture means. Even though the 2008 SRT8 arrived in May with more fanfare than an Obama rally, people still take a few moments to look over any Challenger.

To a layman, all of the Challengers look the same: Long hood, short deck, big tires and small windows. But there are subtle differences. The V-6 SE model only has one tail pipe, the R/T has a smaller, body-colored spoiler and the SRT8 has a larger black spoiler. And new for the 2009 lineup, the SRT8 and R/T include manual transmissions with the legendary pistol grip shifter.

All three models share lots of parts, of course, and they measure front to rear and side to side exactly the same. Inside, the SRT8 has upgraded seats that hold you tighter in place than its road riders that cost less, but most of the changes inside are minor.

Really, I'd like to have seen a little more luxury in the SRT8, maybe leather on the dash or a few more touches that show me it's good value for the $40,000 check someone cuts for it. But even in this top-of-the-line Challenger, you're supposed to be driving it, not stroking the dash. The point of this car is performance, not petting.

Here's what I like: All three's engine notes, with the SRT8's rumbling through your spine and lifting all the hair on your neck with a throaty song when you mash the gas.

The SE tends to strain more than sing when it takes off from a light. You would too if you were trying to launch 3,700 pounds a lot of weight for any car. The R/T has a little more tenor in its note that you can almost sing along with as you laugh and bop behind the leather wrapped steering wheel.

The interior is fine. The black single-piece dash flows across the cabin nicely and there's lots of room in the Challenger. The only thing unsightly is the top of the dash that stretches out to the base of the windshield. There's a lot of real-estate there and it's distracting. But the suede door inserts, and nice details such as the large control knobs on the center stacks keep the look clean.

More important, all three models are very quiet on the road. You won't have to crank the 368-watt optional stereo just to hear yourself think. You can talk to the person in the second row which is larger than that of any current muscle car. You also can talk on the phone without using your hands via the UConnect Bluetooth phone system. This works very well and helps you not look like one of those people with an electronic growth on their ear. Additionally, Dodge added an iPod interface that allows you to plug in your musical player, recharge it and operate it through the touch screen on the nav system.

Speaking of the optional navigation system, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Chrysler LLC the owner of the Dodge brand has moved away from the awful system that uses a little joy stick on the bottom right corner. The touch screen is easy to use, the maps are clean, and when I got lost, I was able to find Raceway Park after a detour on Route 287.

There are other differences with each model. Most striking is that performance improves exponentially with each step up, making the $20,000 difference between top of the line and base model worth every penny.

On a track, the ultimate choice is the SRT8 and its battle tested 6.1-liter Hemi V-8. The racing-tuned suspension, which includes independent front, Bilstein monotube gas-charged shocks on all four corners and a five-link independent rear, keeps the car stuck to the ground like a soldier during a mortar attack. I tried to get the back end to buck around on 180 degree turns but even with 425 horsepower, I couldn't budge it with the electronic stability control on. This is mostly because the stability program cuts out the car's throttle and won't let you power your way out of turns it's electronically saving me from myself. Even when I turned off the traction control, which shuts down the throttle override (but leaves on the stability control), the SRT8 stays well planted and requires very bad driving to push the back end around something I still managed to do.

The R/T, with its 5.7-Hemi V-8 that produces 376 horsepower, helped me look like Drifter Dan on the track. The softer ride lets the R/T spin in style. It's a hoot on the track and a pleasure on the road. The suspension, which is not as high strung as the SRT8, remains stable on the track, but the body will roll a little more and the car has a little more give and take. Also, the braking is not nearly as precise or strong.

The SE, with its 3.5-liter V-6 still offers a good ride and with only 250 horses (still an impressive amount) is fun to drive. It gives you all the same looks as the SRT8 but without the speeding tickets. The SE only comes with a four-speed automatic.

Here's the dilemma I find myself wrestling with when considering either the R/T or the SE. Both have a starting price under $30,000 and one is a V-8 while the other is a V-6. Today, if your biggest concern is mileage, the SE gets 18 mpg in the city and 25 mpg on the highway. Meanwhile the R/T gets 16 mpg in the city and 23 mpg on the highway. That's only a two-miles-per-gallon difference.

The reason, of course, is the 5.7-liter V-8 uses Chrysler's cylinder shut off system that allows the R/T to travel down the highway with four cylinders shut off. I'm leaning toward the R/T.

But if performance is what you crave in a Challenger, the SRT8 is the one.

The lineup mix is simple and complete.

Find a Challenger that fits your needs and race from there. They're all good rides.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First Comparison- SRT, R/T & SE

good little right up
Old 08-18-2008, 04:16 AM

This certainly answers a lot of questions that have been floating around this board for a while as to which Challenger a person should buy. I will keep on saying, buy the car you can afford and the car that you want.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:11 PM

The Sunday printe edition of Detroit News has small lead in paragraph and photo (silver SRT 8) directing readers to DetNews online.

Thanks for posting.
Steve
Old 08-27-2008, 10:28 AM

Agree, good write up. Though again, it appears they're testing only automatics...I guess so it is apples to apples.

Was curious to hear if the EPS off really is OFF when you want to "play a bit"
Old 08-27-2008, 12:27 PM

Combine this with the Dodge's estimated curb weight of 4,041 pounds and you get our 0-60-mph run of 5.9 seconds (5.5 seconds using a 1-foot rollout like at a drag strip). The quarter-mile is dispatched in 14.1 seconds at 100.8 mph. We tested the R/T (as well as the V6-powered SE and the SRT8 with its newly available manual tranny) at the well-known Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in Englishtown, New Jersey.

If these numbers seem pretty close to those you might expect from an SRT8, give yourself a cookie. The 425-hp, 6.1-liter SRT8 fitted with the new Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual transmission cranks out a 0-60-mph run of 5.5 seconds (or 5.2 seconds using a 1-foot rollout like at a drag strip). The higher-revving but heavier SRT8 will get through the quarter in 13.8 seconds at 103 mph. Good numbers, but not much better than the R/T. And as our test driver noted, the SRT8 could break 60 mph at the top of 2nd gear thanks to the Hemi's 6,400-rpm redline. The R/T's 5.7-liter Hemi V8 redlines at 5,800 rpm and had to be shifted into 3rd instead, and the time spent on the gearchange accounts for almost all of the time difference to 60 mph between the two cars.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=130955

Seriously, what is with all the discrepancies? Is it 4.7 seconds, 5.5 seconds. How in the Hell could the SRT8 post 0-60 of 5.5? Am I reading this wrong? I'm sorry, but if the top of the line Challenger cannot beat the entry level V8 Mustang, I'll probably just hang onto my `05 GT and keep the $32,000!
Old 08-27-2008, 12:45 PM

For the record I've kicked the CRAP out of four GT Mustangs so far and my car only has 760 miles on it.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:01 PM

For the record, Paladin - I simply do NOT believe you. I will, however, become a believer if and when I get the CRAP kicked out of me by an SRT8. Needless to say I ain't holdin' my breath...

PS: Notice how I did not even bother mentioning the R/T?

ORIGINAL: Paladin06

For the record I've kicked the CRAP out of four GT Mustangs so far and my car only has 760 miles on it.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Albeeno

For the record, Paladin - I simply do NOT believe you. I will, however, become a believer if and when I get the CRAP kicked out of me by an SRT8. Needless to say I ain't holdin' my breath...

PS: Notice how I did not even bother mentioning the R/T?

ORIGINAL: Paladin06

BEENO baby cmon man your better than this. This test was done by edmunds. They are the worste testers out there and everyone on here and even on the camaro forum agree.

IF THIS DOESNT GET YOU TO BELIEVE PALADIN THEN YOU MIGHT AS WELL GET AN 09 STANG WITH THE CUTE LITTLE CLEAR GLASS ROOF.

OK HERE WE GO:

THE OLD RT WITH 340HP AND HAS BEEN OUT FOR A WHILE NOW DOES 0-60 IN 5.5-5.6 CONSISTENTLY WITH A CRAPPY AUTO.
EDMUNDS TESTED THIS NEW RT ENGINE RATED AT 376 HP AND 400LB OF TQ TO DO 0-60 IN 6.1 AND 5.9 WITH A STICK!!!
ARE YOU KIDDING ME, THERE IS NO WAY A CAR WITH MORE HP AND MORE TQ AND SAME OR LESS WEIGHT WILL GO SLOWER.....

UNLESS ..........

YOU READY BEENY?

ITS BEING TESTED BY A BIAS AND CRAPPY CAR MAGAZINE THAT DOESNT KNOW HOW TO DRIVE THESE CARS.
THIS IS THE SAME MAGAZINE THAT TESTED THE CHARGER SRT8 AND GOT 0-60 IN 5.5..............5.4 WHEN EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHERS WERE GETTING 5 AND UNDER AND AVERAGE 4.8.

SO WHAT IS THE LIGICAL EXPLANATION FOR THIS? EDMUNDS BLOWS AND CANNOT BE TRUSTED NOR CAN ANY OTHER MAGAZINE. IT NEEDS TO BE DRIVEN BY PEOPLE WHO WANT TO DRIVE IT.......ENTHUSIAST LIKE US.

BEENO dont believe that the rt beat a stang stock in a race...but you better believe that a srt8 stock beat a gt stock. If not then there is no convincing you.

sorry for caps.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:04 PM

I know I beat the Shelby and I gave him a door lead.He was really thrashing his car.
You can say what you want but the New Shelbys are for looks.
It is not a Shelby per say.Now a Super Snake at 90K will win but not Apples for Apples.
There are people on forum that have both cars.
Any input from them yet?

Quick Reply: First Comparison- SRT, R/T & SE