Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Get your motor runnin’

Old 02-13-2008, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Get your motor runnin’

http://searchchicago.suntimes.com/au...lenger.article

[quote]Get your motor runnin’
February 13, 2008
BY JEFF TAYLOR SearchChicago – Autos Contributor

“Head out on the highway, lookin’ for adventure …” Ah you know the rest of that classic Steppenwolf song. That tune not only describes Dodge’s new Challenger reincarnation, it’s also what I would like to have blasting through the speakers if I were taking a 2008 Challenger for a drive.

Born in late 1969 as a 1970 model, the Challenger was Dodge’s answer to the Mustang, Camaro/Firebird and AMC’s Javelin. Launched last week here at the Chicago Auto Show, Dodge hopes Challenger can have the same halo effect that the Viper did 16 years ago and pull customers into showrooms.

Challenger has a head start as it is immensely popular, has a strong performance history, and classic examples still make headlines selling for hundreds, even millions of dollars. So the opportunity to get a new modern engineered version with all the performance and safety bells and whistles is irresistible for some. The first two production versions, sold through charity auctions, went for $400,000 and $500,000-plus respectively. For 2008 Dodge will only produce 6,400 limited edition SRT8 versions each carrying a starting sticker price of $37,995. If you don’t have one already on order forget about a 2008 version as this year’s short production run is sold out. How strong is the demand for a Challenger? Well, there are reports of some dealers asking -- and getting -- up to $20K more than sticker, a practice Dodge strongly discourages.

So what’s behind the Challenger’s popularity and rebirth? For starters this car is a throwback to the fast rolling times of the early ’70s when every manufacturer offered a pony car with pavement ripping performance and racing inspired looks that presented a bold, macho image. Politically correct -- I don’t think so!

Developed by Chrysler’s in-house performance engineering organization, the 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 was engineered with a focus on the five pillars required of every SRT vehicle: bold exterior design, a race-inspired interior, world-class ride and handling across a dynamic range, a standout powertrain and benchmark braking.

This year the short run of Challenger SRT8s will be available in three colors: HEMI Orange, Bright Silver Metallic and Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat. During the media preview all three were rolled out. The black version was production No. 0004, and the silver was No. 0006. Color is the biggest differentiation, as all 2008 Challengers will sport a numbered dash plaque, carbon fiberlike hood stripes and will come powered by a 6.1-liter HEMI V-8 engine boasting 425 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque. Unfortunately, a manual is not offered at this time, so a five-speed automatic is all you get. If you want to “tech it up” GPS navigation, “Keyless Go” entry, a MyGIG infotainment system and UConnect hands-free communication are all available options.

During the media preview for the Chicago Auto Show, I spoke with Jeff Gale, Lead Designer – Dodge Challenger Exterior Design, and Brian Nielander, Manager - Dodge Challenger Exterior and Interior Design. Both are real “car guys” who are passionate about Chrysler muscle.

“We took the memory of what was good and then just improved upon it working within the confines of the platform,” Gale said referring to the styling.

The production Challenger rides atop the Chrysler 300/Charger platform and is 3 inches shorter in length at 197 inches and 1 inch shorter and narrower at 57 inches and 74.5 inches respectively than a production Charger.

“The aerodynamics were the toughest part as early versions tended to lift,” Gale said. “We eventually got the drag coefficient down to .35, which is reflective of today’s cars.”

[b]Unlike previous speculation the Challenger production model was not a given.

“Th

Old 02-13-2008, 04:33 AM

Default RE: Get your motor runnin’

Well this is more disappointing news.

"When they are, an SRT-exclusive Reconfigurable Display (RCD) with Performance Pages will provide instant feedback on 0-to-60-mph time, 60-to-0-mph braking, g-forces and 1/4-mile time."
Old 02-13-2008, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Get your motor runnin’

“The aerodynamics were the toughest part as early versions tended to lift,” Gale said. “We eventually got the drag coefficient down to .35, which is reflective of today’s cars.”
Good to hear the aerodynamics were improved to compete with today cars even though it is a retro body style.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.