Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Challenger News (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/challenger-news-27/)
-   -   Head-to-Head Comparison: 2008 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/challenger-news-27/head-head-comparison-2008-ford-mustang-gt-vs-2008-dodge-challenger-srt8-2612/)

lear4406 02-21-2008 12:56 PM

RE: Head-to-Head Comparison: 2008 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8

Well said Bootcamp, my sentiments exactly. Either join in and have the memories or live vicariously through the joy and excitment of others. I will be one who will be living it as I have for all these last 35 years. A torch bearer so to speak. I have paid for it in MPG no doubt. But a 440 is a nice daily driver and exxon does need the support;) All kidding aside, this is the way I like it and I do thank all those who drive the gas sippers that make my daily commute so much fun as well as possible.:D

RLSH700 02-22-2008 12:13 PM

RE: Head-to-Head Comparison: 2008 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8

To respond to this comparison, I'm going to restate what I said in another thread:

As for the debate about the GT vs. SRT, I already commented that comparison is a completely illogical comparison. One of the biggest flaws in that comparison is that they are comparing an automatic SRT to a manual GT. I know that the 2008 does not have a manual yet, but the fact of the matter is the GT is not limited to a manual; therefore, you compare apples to apples in transmission offerings. The tests of the GT I have seen with the automatic places the GT acceleration times at around 5.2-5.4 secs in 0-60. For the sake of using averages in this comparison, lets look say its 5.3 secs for an automatic. Now let's compare the top speeds for a minute Challenger: 170+ vs. 148-150, the Challenger outclasses the GT in this category. Let's see if the GT500 is more closely comparable. The GT500 accelerates 0-60 in 4.5-4.7 secs and the top speed is around 155-157. If again we want to average things, we will say 4.6 secs. Now between the two the Challenger is almost equally between the two in acceleration times having a margin of .3-4secs on it; however, the fact of the matter is the Challenger's top speed is undeniably faster than the GT and still faster than the manual only GT500 (due to being electronically limited) and between the two it is still closer to the Mustang when you use the "official" numbers Chrysler has given. Then when you compare how the other SRT-8s have done (which are heavier and less aerodynamic), they do 0-60 runs in 4.7-4.9 secs. 4.7-4.9 secs is much closer to 4.5-4.7 than it is to 5.2-5.4. The Challenger should not be compared to a less powerful model that it is undeniably faster than just so then GT owns can argue "bang-for-your-buck," when the simple fact is that a GT owner can use the same argument to a GT500 owner. A GT owner could easily modify their GT to beat the daylights out of the GT500 and still have money leftover for gas for the next five years. It is a slanted, bias comparison plain and simple. No credible media source would be foolish enough to compare claims against facts. That is our job that we don't charge people for. If they are charging people, they need to give a real comparison.

We will see how the Challenger really stacks up when it is in full production against the Mustang and Camaro, just don't be surprised when they have rigged comparisons(expect a lot of V6 matches with the others using manuals so then they can rip on the Challenger instead of comparing the models people are really interested in). The fact is the automotive media like everyother type of media in the world is very bias and they have their favorites just like we do.
I have never, ever seen a comparison where the GT got 4.9 secs nor 5.0 secs either. The absolute fastest I've read the GT go is 5.1 secs and that is with a manual. The 4.9 secs for a GT is a total lie/pipe dream. The SXT is pretty much just a trimming package, once again they are going to just offer the 3.5L and drop the 2.7L (thank goodness) in the SE; therefore, it would be illogical to compare the SXT to the GT unless you are referring to the other options. Also something to think about, before long the Mustang is going to be replaced with a new model and I would bet that some of the pricing advantage will disappear with it. The current GT is plenty more expensive than the old GT was (granted it is faster due to a more powerful engine). The true comparison will come when they RIGHTFULLY compare the SRT-8 to the GT500 when BOTH will have manuals. The R/T will be comparable to the GT. Does anyone remember the "Bullitt Rematch" comparison that I believe Motor Trend did when the Charger first hit the market? There was a .4 sec difference between the two in favor of the Mustang, but now the 5.7L will have at least a 30hp & 14 ft-lbs of tq boost with the added advantage of now having a more consistent power band with VCT, which the Mus

MGDMike 02-22-2008 02:07 PM

I'm looking at Road & Track (Feb 2007) right now (thank you deranged!), and in the Road Test Summary section it is showing 5.3 for 0-60 for the the Mustang GT.

RLSH700 02-22-2008 02:16 PM

ORIGINAL: MGDMike

I'm looking at Road & Track (Feb 2007) right now (thank you deranged!), and in the Road Test Summary section it is showing 5.3 for 0-60 for the the Mustang GT.
And here's a link to prove it.

Not that anybody would call a 5.3-sec. blast to 60 mph slow. It isn't. It's just that in this hallowed group of pricier iron, the GT, by comparison, seems a bit docile.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=4374

Albeeno 02-26-2008 10:09 AM

How u doin'?

Head-to-Head Comparison: Shelby GT500 Mustang vs. Challenger SRT8

Last week I pitted the Mustang GT against the Challenger SRT8. This "Basic" Mustang vs. "Performance" Challenger comparison was designed to see if the most basic of V8 Mustangs can compete with what Dodge calls the "Performance" Challenger. After all, a lot of people say the Challenger will hurt Mustang sales, so I wanted to see what impact, if any, the SRT8 would have on the base 4.6L Mustang. In the end, the GT was able to keep up with the SRT8 in the numbers game. It was also cheaper and achieved better gas mileage. That's a given. It's a basic model and the SRT8 is a performance model vehicle. What really surprised me, though, was the performance comparison. I thought the SRT8 would boast superior performance numbers against a basic V8 Mustang. It didn't.

[quote]ORIGINAL: RLSH700

To respond to this comparison, I'm going to restate what I said in another thread:

As for the debate about the GT vs. SRT, I already commented that comparison is a completely illogical comparison. One of the biggest flaws in that comparison is that they are comparing an automatic SRT to a manual GT. I know that the 2008 does not have a manual yet, but the fact of the matter is the GT is not limited to a manual; therefore, you compare apples to apples in transmission offerings. The tests of the GT I have seen with the automatic places the GT acceleration times at around 5.2-5.4 secs in 0-60. For the sake of using averages in this comparison, lets look say its 5.3 secs for an automatic. Now let's compare the top speeds for a minute Challenger: 170+ vs. 148-150, the Challenger outclasses the GT in this category. Let's see if the GT500 is more closely comparable. The GT500 accelerates 0-60 in 4.5-4.7 secs and the top speed is around 155-157. If again we want to average things, we will say 4.6 secs. Now between the two the Challenger is almost equally between the two in acceleration times having a margin of .3-4secs on it; however, the fact of the matter is the Challenger's top speed is undeniably faster than the GT and still faster than the manual only GT500 (due to being electronically limited) and between the two it is still closer to the Mustang when you use the "official" numbers Chrysler has given. Then when you compare how the other SRT-8s have done (which are heavier and less aerodynamic), they do 0-60 runs in 4.7-4.9 secs. 4.7-4.9 secs is much closer to 4.5-4.7 than it is to 5.2-5.4. The Challenger should not be compared to a less powerful model that it is undeniably faster than just so then GT owns can argue "bang-for-your-buck," when the simple fact is that a GT owner can use the same argument to a GT500 owner. A GT owner could easily modify their GT to beat the daylights out of the GT500 and still have money leftover for gas for the next five years. It is a slanted, bias comparison plain and simple. No credible media source would be foolish enough to compare claims against facts. That is our job that we don't charge people for. If they are charging people, they need to give a real comparison.

We will see how the Challenger really stacks up when it is in full production against the Mustang and Camaro, just don't be surprised when they have rigged comparisons(expect a lot of V6 matches with the others using manuals so then they can rip on the Challenger instead of comparing the models people are really interested in). The fact is the automotive media like everyother type of media in the world is very bias and they have their favorites just like we do.
I have never, ever seen a comparison where the GT got 4.9 secs nor 5.0 secs either. The absolute fastest I've read the GT go is 5.1 secs and that is with a manual. The 4.9 secs for a GT is a total lie/pipe dream. The SXT is pretty much just a trimming package, once again they are going to just offer the 3.5L and drop the 2.7L (thank goodness) in the

kevin2323 02-26-2008 10:48 AM

HELLO PUPPET!

hey albeeno it diddnt post superior numbers but guess what, it beat it, just like you said OUT OF THE BOX.
so keep the good work up ill be waiting to counter attack at any moment.

:D

you cant win albeeno ....NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

kevin2323 02-26-2008 10:50 AM

OH BY THE WAY , THAT COMPARISON is done not on the track but by guesses on the numbers since they havent taken the challenger to the track. so another loss for the ford fanboys.

RLSH700 03-14-2008 01:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Albeeno

How u doin'?

Last week I pitted the Mustang GT against the Challenger SRT8. This "Basic" Mustang vs. "Performance" Challenger comparison was designed to see if the most basic of V8 Mustangs can compete with what Dodge calls the "Performance" Challenger. After all, a lot of people say the Challenger will hurt Mustang sales, so I wanted to see what impact, if any, the SRT8 would have on the base 4.6L Mustang. In the end, the GT was able to keep up with the SRT8 in the numbers game. It was also cheaper and achieved better gas mileage. That's a given. It's a basic model and the SRT8 is a performance model vehicle. What really surprised me, though, was the performance comparison. I thought the SRT8 would boast superior performance numbers against a basic V8 Mustang. It didn't.

This is the basis of why you don't understand, the SRT-8 was never made to compete against the GT, that was never its intention and I'll never understand why you so desperately want that to be the comparison (actually I do and that is why your insisting to compare these two against each other). A $40K car is not going to take sales away from a $27K car, an argument of such is completely illogical. The other way is certainly possible, but the inverse is not on a large scale. When the R/T model comes out, there will be some crossing over, but the Mustang will hold the sales lead no matter what happens. I've been saying it from the beginning that no matter what the Mustang will remain the sales leader thanks to its almost 45 year momentum behind it.

The fact of the matter is the GT500 is not that much better than the GT, so you could also use that argument in the case of the GT vs. the GT500. The Challenger SRT-8 is going to take some sales from the GT500 thanks to the fact that it is a bit cheaper and provides similar performance and a higher top speed. Again, this comparison was not based off of REAL results, it was a comparison done by a bunch of guys who were probably drunk at the time and needed something to argue about. It's entirely irrelevant.

Justinec101 03-14-2008 07:44 PM

That's the clearest way I've heard it put. I guess at the end of the day the camaro has the best shot at coming out and beating the gt500 and the srt8 since for whatever reason ford and dodge couldn't eek out more performance above the GT and R/T models. Why is it that the difference in power and price between the V6 to the R/T is more balanced than the price between R/T and SRT? Is it just that it becomes harder to squeeze performance out at that level?

MrKrisSullivan 03-16-2008 09:18 AM

I think the price difference between the 6 and 8 is smaller than the 8 to performance 8, just because most people don't customize their vehicle to get the extra push or hp but they'll pay more because they know what their getting. It's like cornering the market really. Why pay a boat load for a gt500 when you can just spend 7grand for a super-charger and you have one. Because people think it's some kind of hassle or risk, if you ask me. The auto industry brain-washes people.

lear4406 03-16-2008 02:52 PM

In honor of the paper road test I have cut a picture of a 426 Hemi and put it under the hood of my Challenger. It was fast (on paper).:) Then I cut a picture of a top fuel Hemi and well... now I have to upgrade my brakes;) So on paper I run as fast as a top fuel and stop even better:D Moral of the story is wait until they line them up side by side or at least test both cars involved. Too many of you cross over guys looking for a reason to stay loyal to your brand. I don't have a problem with that, but at least wait for goodness sake for a real test before you down the new Challenger. If you don't want one because its a tenth or two slower or a tenth or two faster then you really missed the whole picture of what its like to own a Challenger SRT-8. When the people start to stop and ask you about the car and your running late constantly from all the info you have to give.:D But when was the last time you were in a new Mustang and folks stopped you and asked about the car. As long as I have driven my Challenger I have folks who want to relive the past for a few minutes and tell me some really cool stories of their Challenger experience.

Albeeno 03-18-2008 11:49 AM

First of all I didn't author the article, did I? Secondly, whether you choose to accept it or not, the SRT8 was made to CHALLENGE the Mustang! Even the most basic of V8s, such as the GT. You've seen all the articles and hype that I have about there now being another contender in the muscle car wars, etc. Therefore, I'm really surprised by your lack of thoughtful, reasonably intelligent comebacks. Last and certainly not the least of which was this: "it was a comparison done by a bunch of guys who were probably drunk at the time and needed something to argue about."? You just keep tellin' yourself that...whatever gets you to sleep at night RLSH...

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

How u doin'?

This is the basis of why you don't understand, the SRT-8 was never made to compete against the GT, that was never its intention and I'll never understand why you so desperately want that to be the comparison (actually I do and that is why your insisting to compare these two against each other). A $40K car is not going to take sales away from a $27K car, an argument of such is completely illogical. The other way is certainly possible, but the inverse is not on a large scale. When the R/T model comes out, there will be some crossing over, but the Mustang will hold the sales lead no matter what happens. I've been saying it from the beginning that no matter what the Mustang will remain the sales leader thanks to its almost 45 year momentum behind it.

The fact of the matter is the GT500 is not that much better than the GT, so you could also use that argument in the case of the GT vs. the GT500. The Challenger SRT-8 is going to take some sales from the GT500 thanks to the fact that it is a bit cheaper and provides similar performance and a higher top speed. Again, this comparison was not based off of REAL results, it was a comparison done by a bunch of guys who were probably drunk at the time and needed something to argue about. It's entirely irrelevant.

kevin2323 03-18-2008 12:32 PM

albeeno will never learn......ahh ignorant ppl suck :([:'(]

Albeeno 03-18-2008 12:45 PM

Dude, how is that ignorant? I could see if I made some comment about your Dodge Dart beating my Mustang...now that would be ignorant.

ORIGINAL: kevin2323

albeeno will never learn......ahh ignorant ppl suck :([:'(]

lear4406 03-18-2008 02:38 PM

I really don't think its the article as it is the reason, that gets you Ford guys all wound up. Every negative article written that puts a negative light on the Challenger finds its way here to a corus of reasons to not purchase a Challenger. Only to be followed with a positive rebuttle comment. Seems that if we first look and think of what we are reading... then the comments would not be made to begin with. Dodge Challenger Forums and more than likely Mopar guys on said sight. And with that said, I would expect to see people point out the falacy of paper bench racing. The test will come soon and whatever it is is what it will be. I want the new Challenger for reasons other than 0-60 or 1/4 mile. I like the retro looks and will purchase one... as far as the Mustang GT goes. Well we know about that because every Mag has tested one and it will need some more ummmph to keep up with an R/T Challenger. That is just my prediction and I'll have to wait until they hit the streets to prove that point;) But is this not what we all want... all the American car manufactures having pony cars that are close in specs and fun to drive?

RLSH700 03-18-2008 03:30 PM

First of all I didn't author the article, did I? Secondly, whether you choose to accept it or not, the SRT8 was made to CHALLENGE the Mustang! Even the most basic of V8s, such as the GT. You've seen all the articles and hype that I have about there now being another contender in the muscle car wars, etc. Therefore, I'm really surprised by your lack of thoughtful, reasonably intelligent comebacks. Last and certainly not the least of which was this: "it was a comparison done by a bunch of guys who were probably drunk at the time and needed something to argue about."? You just keep tellin' yourself that...whatever gets you to sleep at night RLSH...

Remember who you are talking to Albeeno and remember rule # 2.

2. While debating and discussion is fine, respect your fellow enthusiasts. Being of a diverse background, members are likely to express different opinions, and while opinions may differ from yours, they are just that, opinions; and everyone is entitled to express theirs freely. We will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, or personal attacks. Do not flame, bother, bug, disrespect, hound or taunt ANYONE on the forums or through private messaging or chat room. If we feel a thread is getting out of hand we will close or delete it. You can/will lose your posting privileges if you continue this type of behavior.
I never said you were the one who authored it, so don't make arguments as though I did. Albeeno, I don't know why you struggle to understand this, but the top level Challenger does not compete against all levels of the Mustang, such a comparison is completely illogical. Based on your point here, that would be like trying to compare a V6 Mustang to a Challenger and the outcome will be exactly the same. The Challenger IS faster, but this version of the Mustang is cheaper and can be made as fast as a Challenger for less money than what the Challenger cost. Why is this? Because the SRT line is a limited edition run and was never intended to be a value fighter. What you do instead is compare the most similar models in price, in power, in performance, in options, etc. to each other, not which one will give the favored one a better bang for their buck.

The issue is the writers at Edmunds lack a professional approach to writing their articles, they instead like to rip off bad jokes from other writers. The fact of the matter is they are supposed to be performing an objective review comparing two cars as they want to be considered an official and objective source for reviews and all they do is yap on in an unprofessional manner in a way that I would expect to find on a forum not a so called "professional" outlet for news. When they make it as apparent that they favor one car over the other on an outlet like this, they are opening themselves up for criticism. When they rip off jokes from others without giving credit and call people who disagree with them "liars," they open themselves up for criticism. Also by comparing cars not by DRIVING them, but going on manufacturer stats, they open themselves up for criticism since they DON'T know how the two will actually do against each other.

Jeremiah 29:11 03-18-2008 04:38 PM

Albeeno, we have warned you about those kind of remarks before on our "family friendly forum".

You are certainly burning your candle very short.

Don't be surprised if all of a sudden you cannot access the forum.

This is your 2nd and last warning.

Albeeno 03-20-2008 12:08 PM

I think you need to ligten up a little Chief...

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

Albeeno, we have warned you about those kind of remarks before on our "family friendly forum".

You are certainly burning your candle very short.

Don't be surprised if all of a sudden you cannot access the forum.

This is your 2nd and last warning.

RLSH700 03-20-2008 06:01 PM

I think you need to ligten up a little Chief...

No, you need to back down. We have rules on this forum and you are going to follow them if you want to continue to post on here. Understand?