Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Challenger News (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/challenger-news-27/)
-   -   Head-to-Head Comparison: 2008 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/challenger-news-27/head-head-comparison-2008-ford-mustang-gt-vs-2008-dodge-challenger-srt8-2612/)

Jeremiah 29:11 02-18-2008 05:57 AM

Head-to-Head Comparison: 2008 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8

The Muscle Car Wars are starting.

Head-to-Head Comparison: 2008 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8
From Jonathan Lamas,

The Muscle Car Wars Return

Well folks, the muscle car wars have returned. It seems like ages since the Mustang faced a solid contender. Pretty soon it will have two: the existing 2008 Dodge Challenger as well as the upcoming 2009 Chevrolet Camaro. For now, let’s focus on the recently introduced 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8. It’s sleek, it’s fast, and it’s coming to a dealership near you.
In compiling this comparison, we’ll be looking at the new 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 and the 2008 Mustang GT. In evaluating the Mustang, we’re leaving Shelby models out of the mix for now. We’ll definitely evaluate those later. Yes, these Mustangs are the bread and butter of Mustang performance. For this article, however, we’ll focus solely on Ford’s most readily available performance Mustang, which is the GT.

We will also evaluate only one Challenger model in this article, the SRT8. In 2009 Dodge plans to offer three models. This will include a 3.5L V6 version with a 4-speed automatic transmission, as well as an R/T model with a 5.7L V8 and the choice of five-speed automatic or a six-speed manual. The SRT8 model would return with its 6.1L V8, as well as the option of either a five-speed automatic or a six-speed manual. The current SRT8 is only available with an automatic transmission. For now we’ll include information pertaining to the SRT8, as it is the only model currently being built for 2008.

Powertrain: The Challenger is More Powerful...and Heavier
If a car is going to complete with the Ford Mustang it should have a solid engine. The 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 features a 6.1-Liter SRT HEMI beast under its hood. Okay, that’s pretty “solid.” As for output, Dodge says the vehicle can produce 425 hp and 420 lb.-ft. of torque.
The Challenger features a 5-speed automatic transmission with overdrive. Unfortunately it’s only available with an automatic option. This is somewhat of a downer for those seeking to feel out their shifts via a manual transmission setup. The Challenger won’t see a manual option until next year. The car also features 20-inch wheels with size 245/45 all-season tires. Braking power comes courtesy of 14-inch Brembo brakes fitted with four-piston calipers.

Ford’s most powerful standard lineup Mustang is the Mustang GT. This vehicle features a 4.6L V8 engine which is capable of producing 300 hp and 320 lb.-ft. of torque. The car offers both a manual and an automatic 5-speed transmission with overdrive. It comes standard with 17-inch aluminum wheels and P235/55ZR17 tires. Its braking power is controlled by 12.4-inch ventilated front brake discs with 11.8 inch brake rotors in the back.

POWERTRAIN
2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8

6.1-Liter SRT HEMI V8 Engine

5-Speed Automatic Transmission

425 hp and 420 lb.-ft of torque

2008 Ford Mustang GT

4.6L V8 Engine

5-speed Manual Transmission or Automatic with overdrive

300 hp and 320 lb.-ft of torque

Sure, the Dodge Challenger SRT8 has a more powerful engine than the 4.6L V8 featured in the Mustang GT. With 425 hp at its disposal, the Challenger can really tear it up. It should also be noted, however, that the Challenger is also bigger than the Mustang GT, which results in its overall curb weight of 4,140 lbs. Bottom line, it’s heavy. The Mustang GT has a curb weight of 3,540 lbs. In all, the Challenger has a wheelbase of 116 inches, overall length of 197.7 inches, and overall width of 75.7 inches. To top it off, the Challenger is 57 inches in height. In comparison, the Mustang has a wheelbase of 107.1 inches, an overall length of 187.6 inches, and an overall width of 73.9 inches. The Mustang GT is 55.7 inches in height.

On the track, Car and Driver magazine (January 2005) clocked the fif

Albeeno 02-18-2008 11:35 AM

RE: Head-to-Head Comparison: 2008 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8

Jeremiah,

Very interesting comparison / article. Thank you very much for posting.

What I took from this: In a nutshell - It's gonna cost ya roughly $13 - 14K more to beat the Mustang GT by 0.2 seconds (0-60) and be nose-to-nose with it all the way thru the 1/4 mile (if the Challenger is lucky). Nice... I'd be absolutely kicking myself right now if I bought / ordered a Challenger!

I have to be honest, I'm having a lot of second thoughts right now about buying one, myself. The SRT8 is probably a little too rich for my blood anyway, but the R/T is in my price range. Now why the hell would I spend $31-$32K on an R/T Challenger only to watch a 5th generation Mustang (which I'd be trading in) absolutely, unequivocally....blow my doors off?!?!?! Looks? (I don't know - I'd put the Mustang's looks up against the Challenger's any day of the week (they're both beautiful)...and there's not even a comparison when it comes to the interior). Price? Not exactly... Practicality? They're both RWD, 2-door V8s...not much practicality there. Performance? I don't think so, the top-shelf Challneger is 0.2 seconds faster than the entry-level V8 Mustang! Can somebody please help me out? I really do like the Challenger, but I'm struggling right now to make sense of this.

Now I perfectly understand that it's not all about performance. I get it! There are certain other factors that come into play, but performance is a pretty big one...let's be honest. Even with all that power and the "semi-Hemi" breathing thru big bore plumbing, the wimpy little 4.6 L V8 that Ford puts in the Mustangs, really ain't lookin too bad right now...

Jeremiah 29:11 02-18-2008 12:01 PM

RE: Head-to-Head Comparison: 2008 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8

Albeeno, I am not sure I can help you out.

If have to ask yourself ultimately why you like the Challenger and why you like the Mustang.

You can do a spreadsheet and put points in each category but in the end, it is all about what the car does for you emotionally.

For me, not only do I think it is the baddest and meanest muscle car that there ever was but I used to own one and dated what became my future wife in one.

By the way, it is a practical car.......3 seats in the rear, 2 in the front and it has a good size trunk. That is why it is heavy but they were back then too.

Don't forget IRS for cornering for the performance category.

BootCamp 02-18-2008 12:21 PM

Interesting article. Pretty much what we expected though.
While it did put SOME specs out there, a lot of important ones were omitted - more because the Challenger is only available in one flavor right now. That'll change in '09.
I'd be curious to see how the skid-pad numbers compare, as well as interior (rear seat leg room in particular) and trunk area. I also think the 6 speed manual transmission in a shorter gear ratio (3.93 in the 6 speed vs. 3.06 in the auto) will significantly change the acceleration numbers for the '09 SRT8.
Can you imagine how much HP the Challenger 6.1L would have if it were comparably equipped to a GT500? Supercharge that bad-boy and we're talking about 600 horses under the hood. Yikes!
Actually, the more I think about it, the '09 R/T with the smaller wheels (18"s vs. the 20"s on the SRT8), slightly shorter gears (3.73 vs 3.06 on the SRT8) and possibly a slight weight savings with the manual tranny and less "bling" MAY very well kick out nearly identical numbers to the '08 SRT8, - with the exception of getting much better gas mileage.

As long as we don't have all of the numbers, we really can't accurately compare the two cars. I'll reserve judgment until all of the numbers come out.
As far as looks, I think the Challenger is just as true to the original as the Mustang.
Right now, in 10 minutes on the interstate, I'll see at least a dozen Mustangs going in either direction. I don't think you'll see as many Challengers, and honestly, I like that idea. I want something that not too many other folks have.
I'm not taking anything away from the Mustang. It's a very good value - lots of bang for the buck. But for all of the multitude of variations it's available in, and the fact that I've been seeing them everywhere for four model years now, the attraction (for me) is long gone.
If Ford keeps coming out with more variations on the Mustang, they might want to consider changing the name to the "Ford Opinion" since it'll seem like everyone has one.

Jeremiah 29:11 02-18-2008 12:34 PM

As long as we don't have all of the numbers, we really can't accurately compare the two cars.
Certainly a good point and I agree. We haven't even seen the numbers yet. But we have until next month.....we shall see what we can find out.

kevin2323 02-18-2008 01:34 PM

alright guys i posted this on redletterdodge couple weeks ago wen they released the specs.
in order to get a good estimate of what the challenger will do compared to the mustang you go buy a similar car with similar weight , power train, and transmission. In this case its the charger srt8.
the charger srt8 is suppose to do 0-60 in 5.1 sec. or 5 flat according to dodge (they said chally in 4.9).
As i was very into buying the srt8 for performance i researched from forum to forum and found out these cars are far beyond what dodge tells you they are. sort of how bmw underrates the 335i. well what i found through my research and forum trolling for about 2 years or so is that the charger srt8 stock does 0-60 in 4.8 avrg dead stock. most owners say it gets better as you learn how to launch and you start getting better grip on the roads. So my conclusion is that this car will be in the 0-60 4.7-4.8 basically high 4s due to it being shorter more aerodynamic and slightly lighter than the charger srt8 4 door. this car shouldnt even be compared to the gt this car is in competition with the gt500. yes i know the gt500 has more horsepower and goes 0-60 in 4.6 but thats the beauty of it and were the modification nuds like myself come in. this car will be close in numbers with the gt500 and it should be in the same category, save the gt comparisons for the R/T challenger which with the power gains from the new engines should be a good comparison to the gt.

I hope my post has helped, I always wanted to post more than often but i can never elaborate on certain subjects like this one. I for one hope to see a gt pull up and start revving because that would just indicate to me the war has just begun. oh by the way I was originally looking to get a gt or a charger srt8 so thats why i know alot about both.

P.s: albeeno if your all about performance stick with your mustang because the gt will be slightly quicker than the R/T but dont expect to run into any stock R/Ts on the road most dodge owners hate ford so theyre out to destroy the stang.

mopar2ya 02-18-2008 02:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Albeeno
... I'd be absolutely kicking myself right now if I bought / ordered a Challenger... the Mustangs, really ain't lookin too bad right now...
Sounds like you probably outta get a new stang or keep the one you got. As for me... Challenger all the way without a second thought. I have been waiting a long time for a Mopar of this caliber to hit the streets and wouldn't even consider a ford or chevy of any sort... they just don't do it for me...

However, a Ferrari might be a consideration if there was no Challenger coming out. ;)

Goodbye... I hear there are a lot of good mustang forums out there...

BootCamp 02-18-2008 03:29 PM

ORIGINAL: mopar2ya

... I'd be absolutely kicking myself right now if I bought / ordered a Challenger... the Mustangs, really ain't lookin too bad right now...
Goodbye... I hear there are a lot of good mustang forums out there...
Once I finished choking on my pizza, I started ROFLMBO!
[sm=smiley36.gif]

RLSH700 02-18-2008 03:54 PM

Jeremiah, I thank you for posting this and with all due respect this is a very stupid comparison. SRT-8 to GT? That is a very slanted match up. This is just as dumb as comparing a base level Corvette to a Viper, "well yes the Corvette is slower, but look at the price difference, the Viper cost's almost double." Yes and the price tag between the Z06 and the Viper is much closer and the Viper is still faster. Based on Price tag and performance the SRT-8 can only logically be compared to the GT500. As kevin said, the 4.9 sec projection is conservative. They gave more competitive and still give the 300 and Charger conservative low-5 sec range when it has done 4.7-4.8 secs pretty consistently. That is closer to the GT500 than it is to the GT, besides this it sounds like they were comparing the manual version of the GT and not the automatic against the automatic only 2008 model. Some of these people need to be fired and/or ignored because they are so slanted in their reviews. The real test will be next year when both parties have manuals and when they ACTUALLY DROVE BOTH OF THE COMPETING MODELS instead of comparing paper stats to past performance tests.

Jeremiah 29:11 02-18-2008 06:14 PM

The real test will be next year when both parties have manuals and when they ACTUALLY DROVE BOTH OF THE COMPETING MODELS instead of comparing paper stats to past performance tests.
That is very true, I just post them when I see them. I do not grade their reporting abilities.

I am too am looking forward to actual real life comparisons......next month hopefully.

RLSH700 02-18-2008 06:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

That is very true, I just post them when I see them. I do not grade their reporting abilities.

I am too am looking forward to actual real life comparisons......next month hopefully.
Well that is why I thanked you for posting them. Even if the comparison is illogical, I still appreciate reading them.

Albeeno 02-19-2008 08:40 AM

I appreciate the input / advice from you guys. Thank you. More leg room in the rear and/or being able to seat three in the backseat isn't a factor for me, really. I guess it really boils down to looks and performance. The Challenger is so sexy and I'm sure it will be a beast when it comes to actual performance. I just never thought the SRT8 would be so close to the GT I already have. That really shocked me! And therein lies the problem.

Anyway, one thing I failed to note in my previous post was top speed. Chances are 99% of us will never reach the upper limits but the Challenger is rated at 170 mph vs. 143 mph on the GT. No comparison there obviously. One last point I wanted to make was that it's pretty absurd to think that Dodge is fudging performance times. I can see them fudging output ratings so insurance rates aren't as astronomical as they could be with the "real" horsepower, but I find it extremely difficult to believe the perfromance times are inaccurate.

DSkippy 02-19-2008 09:31 AM

They do have a storied and cherished tradition in the underestimation trend as for torque and hp.

kevin2323 02-19-2008 11:53 AM

albeeno open up your eyes. Car companys have been doing this for a long time. they underate their cars performance times, trust me i did my research. Also why are you suprised your car is so close to the srt8s performance times? first of all the 4.9 sec is underated but lets go by what you believe , the gt is 0-60 5.1. so your saying .2 of a second off 0-60 is nothing? that is alot in my book. people modify their cars to hell to shave off .1 off their 0-60. this car will eat the gt in top end and 0-60. i guess you should stick with your stang because if .2 off 0-60 is nothing for you then a .4 sec difference between the gt and the gt 500 should be nothing to you either. enthusiast and car mod nuts by srt8s and z06 and gt500 because they want the more performance oriented model of their company of choice. looks like you want viper numbers out of .4 liters added to an 5.7 liter engine, sorry you need to come down to earth.

ps: I still love ya, ;)

awsure 02-19-2008 12:48 PM

Not to nitpick with you but 98% of the buyers do not really care about .2 seconds. I do not plan on drag racing mine and I think that's the only reason I really would insist on that finger snap.

I want to hear a Hemi rumble when I put my foot down and I want to feel some Pony power push me back in the seat. I am pretty sure 425HP gets me there. To Albeeno's point this car is damn sexy. Yeah, it weighs over 4000 lbs. So what! It does not need to apologize for the weight because the lines and dimensions of the car are extremely well done. If you chopped it down to lighten it you would lose the look.

Albeeno 02-19-2008 01:15 PM

kevin, I realize there is a pretty sizable difference in 0.2 seconds and I fully acknowledge that the Challenger bests the Mustang GT in every performance category imaginable. But it doesn't best the Shelby GT500 (which in my opinion would have been a better comparison) 0-60. Please don't give me the whole supercharged thing either. Both cars, out of the box, the GT500 is faster. The Challenger does however best the GT500 top speed (170 vs. 155). But then again, who's gonna do 170 mph or even 155 mph? I don't happen to frequent drag strips, etc. and I certainly don't live and breathe car mods. I'm an all-original guy. So, for the purposes of this discussion, let's leave the multi-thousand dollar mods out of the discussion and all of the what-could-be and just talk straight up stock.

Personally, I'm more concerned about light to light performance than I am about competing on Speed TV's show Pinks... Light to light - I'm confident enough in my own driving abilities and my trusty 5 speed that I'd leave the SRT8 driver scratching his head. I certainly won't beat him, but I'm willing to bet I'd be a helluva lot closer than he probably imagined. Oh, and all the money in my bank account that I saved by not getting the Challenger, would make me quickly forget about the 0.2 second variance. On the other hand, chances are I'd be looking at any stock R/T Challenger from my rearview.

Not that I'm doubting you kevin, but I'd be curious to know what findings your research has turned up to prove your point that manufacturers are underrating their cars' performance times. I don't doubt for a minute that they underrate horsepower and torque, but actual performance times is hard for me to wrap my head around. Believe me, I'm not doubting that you've done your homework, I'm just curious if you can cite one example of a car that is faster then what it is actually being advertised as. Again, I'm not saying it's not true, it's just that I'm not aware of any. Enlighten me.

PS: And while we're splitting hairs on performance here is something to think about - the SRT8 has 9.74 lbs / HP and the Mustang GT is 11.81. That's like, what..... a 0.2 second difference? And just for good measure - the GT500's power to weight is 7.84 (3,920 lbs / 500 HP) http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=115578

Love ya too bruh :)

ORIGINAL: kevin2323

albeeno open up your eyes. Car companys have been doing this for a long time. they underate their cars performance times, trust me i did my research. Also why are you suprised your car is so close to the srt8s performance times? first of all the 4.9 sec is underated but lets go by what you believe , the gt is 0-60 5.1. so your saying .2 of a second off 0-60 is nothing? that is alot in my book. people modify their cars to hell to shave off .1 off their 0-60. this car will eat the gt in top end and 0-60. i guess you should stick with your stang because if .2 off 0-60 is nothing for you then a .4 sec difference between the gt and the gt 500 should be nothing to you either. enthusiast and car mod nuts by srt8s and z06 and gt500 because they want the more performance oriented model of their company of choice. looks like you want viper numbers out of .4 liters added to an 5.7 liter engine, sorry you need to come down to earth.

ps: I still love ya, ;)

tdub2112 02-19-2008 03:19 PM

ORIGINAL: awsure

I Yeah, it weighs over 4000 lbs. So what!
I'd go for fatter women.;)

kevin2323 02-19-2008 03:33 PM

yea my point is albeeno is that all these mustang guys yell and scream about the gt500 being so much better than dodge cars or w.e. a supercharger is a mod. so if you compare out of the box the chally and the gt500 the gt500 has the slight edge do to the supercharger which ford had to do to make that IMO puny 4.7 l engine make something remote of 500hp. im sorry in my eyes albeeno if your gonna pay 45-50k for a supercharged 4.7 L car, might as well get a car aka the challenger which i believe has slightly better styling and retroness to it and use not even the full 10k your saving just 4-5k to drop a sc in it and it will put out wayyy better numbers than the gt500. out of the box yes the shelby is the winner. i believe top end the chally would destroy the gt base, thats just me. oh and i will be posting my articles soon, i just got home from work and ill get right on it because albeeno im not one of those forum trolers that hates ford and just goes out to bring them down, and im not saying your claiming that about me. ill post it up in a bit. im liking these discussions more and more albeeno.:D

Justinec101 02-19-2008 03:38 PM

SRT8 - 9.74
R/T - 10.55
Mustang GT - 11.81

Is the SRT8 really worth the extra 9 grand over the R/T?

kevin2323 02-19-2008 06:58 PM

Despite what you might think, there ARE examples of cars that come “underrated” from the factory. I stated the BMW E90/E92/E93 335i as an example and I’ll show you some concrete information on that below.

The BMW 335i is claimed by BMW to have 300 hp and 300 ft/lb from the factory (at the flywheel). Average sport cars come with a drivetrain loss of about 15-20%. Let’s assume 15% to be on the “high” side HP/TQ wise. A BMW E9x 335i with 15% drivetrain loss on a Dynojet Dynamometer (Dyno) should dyno somewhere around 245 HP and 250 ft/lb of torque on the HIGH side (since we are assuming the lower average of drivetrain loss). Most 335i dynoed properly on a Dynojet with the right correction factors and correct smoothing are putting down 265-275 HP and 280-300 ft/lbs AT THE WHEELS. This means that either somehow BMW achieved <7% drivetrain loss, or
they seriously underrated the published numbers.

Here are some Dyno graphs (all on Dynojets for comparison purposes):

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...dyno_chart.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...hp/Dyno2-1.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/1badzhp/dyno3.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...hp/dyno3-1.jpg

2 of these dyno’s are stock VS chipped, so I underlined the stock numbers for your convenience.

Moving on to performance numbers, the BMW stated 0-60 time is: 5.3 seconds for 6MT (Manual Transmission) and 5.5 seconds for AT (Automatic Transmission)

Here are some actual 0-60 times from magazines & owners (stock of course):

Car and driver TEST RESULTS: *6MT*
Zero to 60 mph: 4.8 sec

Edmunds Test Result: *AT* This 2007 BMW 335i test car blazed from zero to 60 in 4.8 seconds.

Rob: *6MT*
0-60 in 4.75

[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/1badzhp/Gtech1.gif[/image
]
** One of my best friends Leandro has a BMW 535i (N54 equipped) that has the same sequential Bi-turbo 6 cylinder as the 335i. BMW rates the car as having a 0-60 of 5.7 seconds for the Automatic Transmission. With me present, he ran a 5.34 0-60 with his G-Timer (that was calibrated in expert mode using vehicle weight, aerodynamic drag coefficient, drivetrain loss, and rolling resistance to secure accuracy).

BMW Doesn’t state a ¼ mile time for the 335i, but drag times (with drag slips to confirm) are from 13.3 to 13.6 (average). A bit faster than expected for a car that does 0-60 in “5.3” seconds for the 6MT and “5.5” for the AT.

*** Oh, and just for kicks, it is remarkable what the N54 equipped BMW’s can do with a little software tuning, some better tires, and a good driver! They’ve hit 11.8 in the ¼ mile with some software tuning. Another company is claiming 11.2 (still on stock turbos, stock internals, etc etc) but no slip is up for that yet so it is still “uncomfirmed”

[quote]ORIGINAL: Albeeno

kevin, I realize there is a pretty sizable difference in 0.2 seconds and I fully acknowledge that the Challenger bests the Mustang GT in every performance category imaginable. But it doesn't best the Shelby GT500 (which in my opinion would have been a better comparison) 0-60. Please don't give me the whole supercharged thing either. Both cars, out of the box, the GT500 is faster. The Challenger does however best the GT500 top speed (170 vs. 155). But then again, who's gonna do 170 mph or even 155 mph? I don't happen to frequent drag strips, etc. and I certainly don't live and breathe car mods. I'm an all-original guy. So, for the purposes of this discussion, let's leave the multi-thousand dollar mods out of the discussion and all of the what-could-be and just talk straight up stock.

Personally, I'm more concerned about light to light performance than I

davecpa 02-19-2008 08:31 PM

I would not be surprised if dodge came out with a super charged challenger... but i personally would not buy one because mine is going to be a daily driver... but yes an SRT.. if i wanted a pure race car \ garage car... i would buy the viper or a new vette. But albeeno has always been fair in his opinion and i salute him for sticking to his guns

DSkippy 02-20-2008 02:09 AM

Hear, hear, Dave. He takes an unpopular stand with an unpopular opinion on a forum with pretty bright folks, and stands up to the cacophony of counter opinion. That has to be admired. His confused taste in automobile allegiance, however.....;)

Blue nO-Val [:@]

OK, ok, I like some of their cars...and if I were more economically independent, I would certainly consider a stable mate to my pending Chally, to be a Mach 1 Fastback when/(if) they come back with one. Favorite non-Mopar muscle was the 70/71 fb.

Yankee 02-20-2008 04:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Justinec101

SRT8 - 9.74
R/T - 10.55
Mustang GT - 11.81

Is the SRT8 really worth the extra 9 grand over the R/T?
Yes

DSkippy 02-20-2008 04:43 AM

But mine goes to "11"......;)

kevin2323 02-20-2008 07:12 AM

testify !

Axel 02-20-2008 08:18 AM

Unfortunately, I'm with Albeeno on this all the way. I mean I remember posts from people who were stating that the bragging rights doesn't come from what's slapped on the car after it's been tuned, it's what the car comes with straight out of the box. We have a car that produces 125 more hp then the Mustang, yet can only keep up with it. We have an engine coming out with 80 more hp and it will probably drop behind the Mustang a bit. What happened to those bragging rights? "My car has 125 more hp, but can't beat your car." I don't get it.

Ford puts a truck engine into a car and calls it a sports car, Chrysler drops a race car engine, in my opinion, in a truck and calls it a truck engine Hemi, though tq and hp ratings are just way to high when towing. They drop it in a car and call it a Hemi. To me that Hemi pulled my truck around quite well, where I'm baffled at is why won't it make this car more like a monster? Why doesn't it any of the cars? Is it because we haven't had a Hemi with a stick in it yet? Will that make it move better with the right gear ratio and driver, or not really?

Why am I paying $5-$10k more for a vehicle that can't beat or keep up with the Mustang? Really, the only two things I ask for is unique interior, even if it's all plastic, and something that keeps up with the Mustang. That would make me happy. I would still have a hard time paying the extra money for a comparable performing vehicle, but I would be more apt to do it. I'm mean honestly, if the performance doesn't matter that much to people, as I've heard on here, if the interior doesn't matter to people, as I've heard on here, why not just slap a Challenger body on the underpinnings of a Focus. It wouldn't fit, but work with me here. That's what I felt what happened. To me this car has lost value and should be at the same price as the Mustang. I would be more then happy to pay for that, but Chrysler seems to put this car above the Mustang, and probably above the Camaro, price wise, with lower standards then those two on performance and interior.

In reality I love Chrsyler and hate Ford, I hate everything that they stand for and support if you know what I mean, but when I saw the Mustang I had to have it. The only Ford I will ever own unless they give one to me. I know it doesn't sound like that, but I have pretty much owned Chrysler all my life, Plymouth Sundance, 3 Dakotas, 2 Rams, Plymouth Breeze, and I've been happy. This though has let me down.

I work hard for my money and I love the muscle cars even though I wasn't around, but I thought this was going to be a war like in the old days and that performance and styling was going to be a factor. Seems price and flash is what Chrysler is going for these days. Sell what you can so we, the new company, can get rid of this Chrysler to a foreign operator.

I can't wait to go back to Chrysler, but they have to give me a decent reason to. The Avenger is close, but doesn't cut it. The Charger would have, but no stick. The Ram may be the way to do it, but gas is a huge factor so I may not. I may have to sit and wait this one out and I'm very disappointed. I hope that I have a chance to change that soon.

kevin2323 02-20-2008 08:55 AM

axel your not making sense to me read the post i made earlier in this thread, the srt8 beats the mustang and no only people who can afford over msrp are paying over msrp. i have one on order for 40k msrp, and by the numbers this car will destroy the gt. and when the 6.4 l engine which will probably cost 47-50k msrp will destroy the gt500 which is running for about that price if your lucky or smart. look at the numbers , the charger srt8 already destroys gt mustangs, and now the challenger will do even better. the only thing that has to keep up is the mustang not the challenger. and out of the box is what counts than buy a turbo charged ricer that does 0-60 in the low 4s if you consider that out of the box, modding is a big part of this industry, and most people who buy performance cars are to be the fastest or when they see someone else thats faster they dont just say hey hes faster than me i cant do anything about it. no they start modding. either way i can go on and on about how the srt8 is better than the gt but this forum is great and has great people that speak out on their opinions such as axel albeeno and myself.

Albeeno 02-20-2008 09:53 AM

Yeah, I definietly take it on the chin once in a while in here, but it's nothing I can't handle. I appreciate the spirited debates. I hope others enjoy it as well and find it somewhat informative regardless of which side of the fence you're on. I can't even begin to tell you how much I've learned from you guys since registering on this site. I love it!! On the other hand - I'm willing to bet my downpayment that there's an Albeeno voo-doo doll dressed in a #12 Tom Brady jersey with a 1/18 scale replica 2005 Mustang GT next to it, somewhere in Boot Camp's house, but I'm not offended!

As I've stated previously, I'm not in anyway married to Ford. After taking some more time to think about / justify getting an R/T Challenger I have concluded that I'm still gonna do it! Somebody made a comment recently about seeing 10 Mustangs or something like that, on their way to work one day. For whatever reason, that really stuck with me. Obviously the Challenger is going to be very unique. To be one of the proud and the few will be awesome! I mean chances are you won't see three of them in every parking lot. Now, as long as it's comprable (performance-wise) to what I have now and I can get it at MSRP, in a color I want...I think I'm still on board. It's good to be back fellas!!! :D

DISCLAIMER: Albeeno hereby reserves the right to change his mind in the future...

Overpowered 02-20-2008 10:43 AM

Gear Ratios!!

Here is my opinion - take it for what its worth.

The Challenger car is geared for some higher top speed potential (which may help fuel mileage).

The auto trans SRT will be final geared with 3.06:1 gears and the manual will be 3.92:1 and assuming red line and trans gearing for each model will get the car to the top speed of 170 MPH.

Lets just use the manual version - assuming same redline & trans gearing - what if the rear end gearing was changed if your just concerned with 0-60 & 1/4 mile times.

4.11:1 would drop the top speed to 162
4.56:1 would drop the top speed to 146

These 2 changes would deliver 5% and 16% deeper gearing potential - what does that mean for 0-60 and 1/4 mile times - I don't have a performance calculator to get the expected performance or even the magnitude of the improvement, but the Challenger would improve acceleration #s.

I know the comparison is on stock vehicles so the Chrysler chosen stock gearing is it.

Put the Challenger against the Mustang GT on a superspeedway in stock trim, and you'll see the substantial difference in lap times.

We dont drive superspeedways and if we really wanted to drag the car we would gear it for that (or buy the SS version)

If your doing the stoplight to stoplight race, please stop and save some lives.

Bragging rights are reduced in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times in order to add to the top speed bragging right and maybe the gas mileage in a relatively heavy car.

I may be wrong, but I'm still pursuing the 2009 SRT to get a hot car in all respects - no mods required.

Eric

lear4406 02-20-2008 12:41 PM

OK my 2 cents worth.:D No comparison! There is not one stock Challenger test. Only what someone thinks it will do. Lets wait until the tests are out and then do our bench racing. Do I think the GT is in the same league with the SRT-8s... no they are not. But a better run would be a 5.7 R/T against a GT. I would give the nod to the R/T. And to back it up, I know of several GTs to go down to a stock Go-Man-Go Charger Daytona. And it was'nt pretty. So my feelings are that a 6-speed SRT-8 Challenger will be closer to a GT-500 than you might think. It will be nice to hear the rhetoric as it ratchets up. So we all have opinions and until the test show what they will, it will be conjector. And then it will take a great driver to get the best out of each cars. So until we have the numbers.. its any ones best estimate. But since I'm not partial;) you should take my word for it:D:D:D The Challenger will be the one to beat, just like the 70s all over again. This is the car they will measure all others by. Again, just because I own only Mopars does not mean I'm partial;)

mopar2ya 02-20-2008 01:13 PM

I'm willing to bet my downpayment that there's an Albeeno voo-doo doll dressed in a #12 Tom Brady jersey with a 1/18 scale replica 2005 Mustang GT next to it, somewhere in Boot Camp's house...
Hey BootCamp... I swear I wasn't the one that told Albeeno... really I didn't... ;)

Axel 02-20-2008 06:13 PM

Ok, here's what I'm hearing, the SRT-8 will smoke the GT, the SRT-8 this- the SRT-8 that. From what they are showing, the SRT-8 is only slightly faster then the GT. I'm not trying to compare these two to each other, but I did throw it in to say that with that much more power it can't really beat it hands down. By the books I believe the GT is 4.9 and the Challenger is low 5s. Go by the books and the GT can out run the SRT-8. These two shouldn't be in the same category. Now I'll wait to see the official numbers to make a basis off of that, but off of those numbers the GT can keep up with the top of the line model Challenger. Again, I have to see reality tests, not book numbers.

What I'm really trying to compare this to is the R/T. That should be the competition for the GT, but if the numbers show that the SRT-8 has trouble beating the Mustang, then what is a car with a lot less horsepower going to do?

Now what I was saying earlier is bragging rights. Just because you have it doesn't mean that you should be racing at stop light to stop light, but it does mean that you can take it to the strip and drag. See, when it's N/A then that's what I mean by bragging rights and what comes out of the box. Anyone can throw things on a car and make it more powerful, but when you come out and say that my straigh N/A engine can beat your N/A engine, or even supercharged, that is when you have bragging rights.

As for the light to light racing, no, I don't believe in that. I think it's stupid these days and that it shouldn't be done unless you live in Dukes of Hazard county and you out run cops for fun. You can take that to the track and do that. What I want is a car that can keep up with the Mustang and this is why, I like the fact that when I get on that highway that I can get my butt moving so that I don't get ran over with the short on ramps that they have. If I go slower that means that is less time for me to get out of the way or to get up to speed. And, of course I like the occasional "race" on the on ramp to get on the highway when the light signals are flashing even if the traffic isn't that bad.

Lastly, axel ratio. I can get, and have, the GT with the 3.55 axel ratio, up from the 3.31 while the Challenger has a 3.06. Now I'm not good in this area, but someone can explain to me why there is a 3.06 on a muscle car. Save gas? Automatic? Really, save gas in a muscle car. I'm confused at the direction that they are going with this car to tell you the truth. I'm just mixed up.

As for seeing Mustangs all over. Please, come to my state. You won't see many sports cars at all no matter what they are. lol.

Overall though I still stand behind what I said. If they make the interior different and this car actually does keep pace with the Mustang, I'll take it. But I have a hard time swallowing the extra money just for the body of the car. Just me.

Justinec101 02-20-2008 06:32 PM

Beyond comparing just the SRT and R/T to the mustang GT, think about this:

26,080 - Mustang GT base price
26,360 - Charger SXT base price

If they keep the bells and whistles of the SXT model charger on the challenger the V6 could well be more than a mustang gt. If they make it more like the SE it could go as low as 23k. The R/T and SRT at least give you more HP for the money. But paying MORE money for less power? Granted I'm getting it regardless, but they really need to keep the price of the V6 down.

cncpt2prod! 02-20-2008 06:33 PM

I thought the SRT is a 4.9 second car, and the GT is 5.1 seconds.

Jeremiah 29:11 02-20-2008 06:46 PM

Let's wait for the test drives from the magazines to tell us about the performance. Sounds like a bunch of noise on the chicken farm.

kevin2323 02-20-2008 08:36 PM

concept is right the gt is 5.1 and the chally is estimated 4.9( might be lower). so i dont know where you got 4.9 from for the gt. yes axel i agree they are similar in performance but the srt8is faster and is a more performance oriented version of the r/t with the 6.1 in it just as the gt500 is the upgrade from the gt ( well in fords case roush stage 1 2 3 6748588 saleen bullitect ect lol jk) so to say oh the srt 8 is comparable to the gt is great but u can also say the gt is comparable to the gt500 because its only .5 slower in 0-60 and the r/t challenger with the srt8 theres only a .5 difference. you compare by the levels of performance. you should be starting this argument against the r/ts when they come out and the numbers come out.

Overpowered 02-20-2008 09:04 PM

The saving of gas with low numerical gear ratios is that while cruising (highway speeds) the engine will be turning fewer RPMs than with a higher numerical gearset thereby the potential of better MPG.

The lower numerical gearset will get to a higher top speed (if there is enough power/torque based on the aerodynamics) with the consequence of acceleration. The higher the numerical a gearset is, the quicker it can accelerate (if you can actually hook up to the ground). Watch monster trucks with extremely high overall numerical gear ratios will accelerate from 0-60 in 2 seconds (guess)? but thats probably their top speed too.

Let's see how the SRT-8 really performs in real tests not on paper. Tests need to include more than a drag race to 60 or a 1/4 mile - this is the "New Challenger" that can also stop and turn which wasn't a major goal or achievement with muscle cars in general in the 70s.

0 to 100 to 0 for acceleration & decelleration combined
Skidpad for turning Gs
Autocross type track for times, ease of driving, consistency, etc.
Big oval or superspeedway to open her up - let's see if she'll really run 170 MPH

I have driven my brother's Viper many times and although it is an awesome machine, it is really only fast in the hands of a competent driver and can be deadly in the hands of inexperience or cockiness.

Eric

Axel 02-21-2008 10:12 AM

And see, that's what I keep saying, there should be really no comparison of the SRT-8 to the GT. It should be apples to apples. Mustang against Challenger SE, Mustang GT against Challenger R/T and Mustang 5th generation xft supercharged Shelby/Cobra/Salene/Gone in 60 Seconds with Bullit in the background against Challenger SRT-8. Really don't know what to compare the SRT-8 to in the Mustang line after the GT to be honest because there are so many dang versions.

Again, only paper to paper comparisons, not real world tests, here's where I got the 4.9 for the Mustang GT:

http://www.i-ford.com/images/2007%20Mustang.pdf

Page 2.

I'm not able to find 0-60 times on the Dodge website for the Challenger and of course there is no brochure on the vehicle yet. I've seen many websites that say this or that, usually low 5, but nothing from the offical website, at least that I can find.

kevin2323 02-21-2008 10:29 AM

axel redletter dodge.com has the spec with numbers o ntheir site, but thats also not real world numbers.

BootCamp 02-21-2008 11:27 AM

ORIGINAL: mopar2ya

I'm willing to bet my downpayment that there's an Albeeno voo-doo doll dressed in a #12 Tom Brady jersey with a 1/18 scale replica 2005 Mustang GT next to it, somewhere in Boot Camp's house...
Hey BootCamp... I swear I wasn't the one that told Albeeno... really I didn't... ;)
LMAO! Sorry, but Albeeno lost that bet too.
My step-son (13 year old) is the Pats fan in the house, but he's a "fair weather fan", doesn't own any Pat's memoribilia or gear, and only talks about them at the beginning of the season. Then he loses interest.
The only "little cars" I have are a few 1/24th scale Action #9 Kasey Kahne Dodge Chargers, and a 1/18th scale Highway 61 Dodge Challenger Concept car in Hemi Orange.
I hope the "downpayment" Albeeno bet wasn't too substantial. ;)

ORIGINAL: Axel
I work hard for my money and I love the muscle cars even though I wasn't around, but I thought this was going to be a war like in the old days and that performance and styling was going to be a factor. Seems price and flash is what Chrysler is going for these days. Sell what you can so we, the new company, can get rid of this Chrysler to a foreign operator.
Honestly, Bud, when have you ever seen the most intense fighting in a "war" occur in the opening volleys? There will be three sides to this "war" and it hasn't even really started yet. It's all "posturing" right now. The production Challenger isn't on the road yet, and the Camaro isn't in pre-production either. Right now, there's only one fighter wondering where the opposition is.
This is going to be a "short term war", the terms of which will be dictated - like all others - by the government. I really think you'll see three to four years of "go for it all" from the big three before the government regulations squash the conflict (in the scale that involves what we'll look fondly back on as the "final muscle car wars") and leave the "tuners" to ultimately pick up our swords in future battles. I think the next three or four years will be the last gasp for V8's and after that, we'll have a rash of new cars coming out with I4's and V6's, sporting little blowers & turbos for those still interested in dueling for bragging rights.
That'll be like parking tanks in favor of fighting with knives and pistols, but I think that's where we're headed, and that soon.