Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Hemi=Dinosaur

Old 05-29-2009, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Hemi=Dinosaur

The CEO of Fiat wants us in "greener" cars (and that does not mean sublime) and does not like the 5.7 Hemi. Get your Hemis while you can! See the following article:

http://www.thecanadianpress.com/engl...2&languageid=1
Old 05-31-2009, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

"You just cannot afford to go around with 5.7-litre V8s - you don't need them."

I think this should be a signal to those waiting for the 6.4-litre Hemi....looks as if it's not going to happen if Fiat gets its way. Lets just hope they don't forget that the Hemi has name recognition and has helped to sell many a Mopar in recent years...
Bottomline...I hate to say it, but it apprears as if we are seeing the last of the Muscle cars as we have known them...
(GM has closed its "GM Performance Division, the Z/28 is a dead issue...and don't count on any Camaro convert. At least we still have our SRT group...for now anyhow......)
Old 05-31-2009, 11:12 AM

And the value of #904 keeps going up. ;-)
Old 05-31-2009, 12:29 PM

no suprise here
Old 05-31-2009, 05:00 PM

I would think it would take some time for Fiat to have the Hemi wiped out. They are only initially getting a 20% stake in Chrysler, not enough to sway many decisions, especially one involving Chrysler's best (V8) engine. True, Fiat's stake in Chrysler will grow, but that is years down the road.

And let's not forget how good the 5.7L Hemi is. It has been on Ward's ten best engines list since the Hemi was introduced in 2003, all the way to 2009, with 2008 being the only year it did not make the list.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:45 AM

yes it is 1 one the top ten best engines in the world in some ranking i think it was car and driver
Old 06-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

What I have to say about this situation is this:

"Dear Sergio Marchionne or as I will refer to you Dr. Z the II (for potentially twice as stupid until you stop making decision that are so stupid that Dr. Z wouldn't have even done them)

You are about to demonstrate what traditional European arrogance leads to when you try to change the American consumer. What amazes me is a man like yourself is actually this foolish not to learn from current history on how you do NOT run an American car company. You like Daimler hold this out of touch, idiotic view that American will do what you want them to do and will buy the cars they don't want instead of the cars that they want because you are an elitist and somehow smarter than they are. I advise you to first take a close look at Chrysler's history starting from when Lee Iacocca took control of Chrysler until now. The portion for you to study are companies that performed badge engineering with Chrysler and how well the models sold.

Mitsubishi has to be Chrysler's longest partner through this time. During this time, very many models were sold such as the Stratus/Avenger/Sebring coupe, Talon/Laser, Colt/Summit, Stealth, 78-83 Challenger, Conquest just to name a few. These models did NOT sell nearly as well as the Chrysler equivalent models as they did not fit the desired state for the consumer as they were not built with the American consumer as the priority.

Renault for a while did badge engineering after the purchase of AMC by Chrysler. The Premier/Monaco didn't sell worth a darn for its 6 year run (for Dodge 3 years). The Medallion didn't sell at all.

The only Mercedes models that had any success WERE ones that had the engine you hate so much. The Crossfire was a complete flop.

The thing that is laughable is your talk about the Hemi being a problem in the category of fuel efficiency considering that your microsized V8 in the F430 gets WORSE fuel economy at 16mpg than Chrysler's traditional tech OHV 510 cubic inch (that's 8.4L in your terms) V10 gets 22mpg! In fact, none of your Ferrari line manages to come close to the Viper's elephant sized V10 engine's fuel economy, not to mention that Chrysler the company you have so much contempt for managed to get much better fuel economy out of much larger, lower tech V8 engines than you have been able to do thus far with your V8s.

Also, it is a joke to say that you are somehow going to teach Chrysler a thing or two on how to design an engine when you were foolish enough to get stuck with an engine that is so lame they gave it a name that you could expect from Wal-Mart (fyi that is a retailer who's reputation is they have cheap quality products), from a manufacture who is on their fourth try to make a competitive 4 valve per cylinder V6 engine and only now with the addition of GDI has managed to surpass an engine Chrysler made before the merger took effect back in 1999. Chrysler is already about to release a V6 that will make that engine look like a joke in fuel economy, cost, and power. Also, if you are so superior to the lowly Americans then why did you buy a I4 from Chrysler who's design was practically ten years old and wasn't even state of the art for its time.

I will also point out to you to study very carefully what you are planning to throw out in comparison of what you are planning to install, since the Mercedes-sourced W5A580 failed to yield faster acceleration times, better fuel economy, or better cost than Chrysler's 42RLE did.

My suggestion to you is this. Get rid of the all the CVTs. Dissolve the pointless relationships with Nissan, Mitsubishi, & Hyundai for good immediately. Only keep the LX/LY platform continue from Mercedes, but cut all other ties as they are a lazy, overpriced, uncompetitive, foolish company trying to stay alive off a non-deserved reputation. Get rid of the W5A580 & 42RLE immediately. Get rid of the "World Engine" & the 2.7L V6 now. Replace the 3.7L V6 with the Pentastar engine the moment it is ready. Keep the 62TE if it proves to be reliable. Provide a 6-speed to replace the 545RFE and W5A580 applications. Replace the Avenger/Sebring with a car nearly the size of the current Charger in length only lighter and FWD with competitive I4s and Pentastar V6 engines. Get rid of the Compass altogether, make the Patriot a Dodge and give it a V6. Offer an economy car that is interesting and fuel efficient like the Neon was. Consider cutting down on the versions of the Town & Country to just the top of the line model as being affordable and competitive is Dodge's role, not Chrysler's. Beside updating the V6 and transmissions and interior in the Challenger/Charger/300 (and increasing the room in the sedans)...LEAVE THEM ALONE!!! The formula they already have is working, don't ruin it!

The underlying point is this, you do the Italian cars the Italian way and they will appeal to people who like Italian cars, but keep the American cars done the American way and they will sell, they just need a few minor tweaks is all.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 06-02-2009, 02:23 AM

very well said
Old 06-02-2009, 06:04 AM

I think, that about saids it all..........and very well I might add.....
Old 06-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

I do believe our very own Super Moderator RLSH700 just smoked Sergio Marchionne. Very nice.

This is certainly European corporate arrogance at it's best.

Italy is only slightly larger than Arizona no wonder they don't have bigger engines. This is the U.S. of A where we have states so large you can drive 12 hours at 60 miles per hour in one direction and still be in the same state. So we have vast highway systems we drive and haul cattle, crops and heavy farm equipment in pick up trunks.

Get rid of V-8's.....I don't think so. He will eventually eat his words since he certainly has stepped on a cow chip and already stinking up the place with his arrogance.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

Quick Reply: Hemi=Dinosaur