Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Challenger News (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/challenger-news-27/)
-   -   IL Insider: Dodge Challenger and Chevrolet Camaro Convertibles in the Pipeline (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/challenger-news-27/il-insider-dodge-challenger-chevrolet-camaro-convertibles-pipeline-2271/)

Jeremiah 29:11 01-08-2008 03:36 PM

IL Insider: Dodge Challenger and Chevrolet Camaro Convertibles in the Pipeline

IL Insider: Dodge Challenger and Chevrolet Camaro Convertibles in the Pipeline

Date posted: 01-08-2008

DETROIT — Convertible versions of the Dodge Challenger and Chevrolet Camaro are expected to become reality in the 2010 model year, according to supplier sources familiar with the product cycle plans at the two Detroit automakers.

Chrysler's Brampton, Ontario, plant is on track to build a soft-top version of the Challenger with production tentatively scheduled to kick off in December 2009, in advance of the spring selling season in 2010. Supplier sources say the Chevrolet Camaro convertible is scheduled to begin production a year after the debut of the hardtop version, also sometime in the fourth quarter of 2009. The Camaro convertible will be built at the General Motors assembly plant in Oshawa, Ontario.

"The Challenger convertible was always in the plan," one highly placed source told Inside Line. "Once you get rid of the [Chrysler] PT Cruiser convertible, you only have the Sebring convertible." Production of the Chrysler PT Cruiser convertible ended on December 21 as part of the automaker's attempt to cut slow-selling products.

Chrysler is also considering a larger Hemi engine for the Challenger, Inside Line has learned. The Dodge Challenger SRT8 is equipped with a 6.1-liter V8; Chrysler would up the ante with the 6.4-liter V8 mated to a six-speed manual transmission. Output numbers are not yet set in stone, but they are said to be in the neighborhood of 500 horsepower on the 6.4-liter V8, sources said.

What this means to you: Buyers of the Challenger and Camaro will be able to feel the wind in their hair in a couple of years. —

Jeremiah 29:11 01-08-2008 03:39 PM

RE: IL Insider: Dodge Challenger and Chevrolet Camaro Convertibles in the Pipeline

6.4L engines here we come!!!!!!

kramtrah 01-08-2008 04:41 PM

RE: IL Insider: Dodge Challenger and Chevrolet Camaro Convertibles in the Pipeline

woohoo and yippeeeeeee! I'm ready for the ride!

Albeeno 01-09-2008 08:31 AM

I'm curious to see if this changes / delays anyone's purchasing decisions? (Convertible vs coupe and/or 6.4 Liter vs 6.1 liter). Personally, I'm still on track for an `09 R/T and this does nothing to change my own plans. This new info. is certainly nice to have however.

Rich Knapp 01-09-2008 09:19 AM

maybe just maybe with this info getting out the prices will come back to earth and the 09 R/T will be in reach this year yet . Things were starting to look grim for me. This is a boost .

Mopar_Nut 01-09-2008 10:08 AM

Allpar.com was on the money when they reported the convertible a few months ago.

DSkippy 01-09-2008 11:45 AM

500HP......watch out Caddy!

Cuda340 01-09-2008 02:03 PM

I would love to get a 6.4, but I've waited long enough! :(

It will be a 2009 6.1 SRT for me!! ;)

DmnBoy 01-10-2008 07:15 AM

Decisions decisions...hopefully they have a variety of body color/top color options out when the convertible becomes available...Sublime with a white top/interior? 6.4 with a 6 speed? That could be interesting!

HeyItsWes 01-10-2008 07:23 AM

DmnBoy, that's exactly the color combo I would choose. Well, it's a toss-up between Sublime and Plum Crazy.