Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

IL Insider: Dodge Challenger and Chevrolet Camaro Convertibles in the Pipeline

Old 01-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IL Insider: Dodge Challenger and Chevrolet Camaro Convertibles in the Pipeline

IL Insider: Dodge Challenger and Chevrolet Camaro Convertibles in the Pipeline

Date posted: 01-08-2008

DETROIT — Convertible versions of the Dodge Challenger and Chevrolet Camaro are expected to become reality in the 2010 model year, according to supplier sources familiar with the product cycle plans at the two Detroit automakers.

Chrysler's Brampton, Ontario, plant is on track to build a soft-top version of the Challenger with production tentatively scheduled to kick off in December 2009, in advance of the spring selling season in 2010. Supplier sources say the Chevrolet Camaro convertible is scheduled to begin production a year after the debut of the hardtop version, also sometime in the fourth quarter of 2009. The Camaro convertible will be built at the General Motors assembly plant in Oshawa, Ontario.

"The Challenger convertible was always in the plan," one highly placed source told Inside Line. "Once you get rid of the [Chrysler] PT Cruiser convertible, you only have the Sebring convertible." Production of the Chrysler PT Cruiser convertible ended on December 21 as part of the automaker's attempt to cut slow-selling products.

Chrysler is also considering a larger Hemi engine for the Challenger, Inside Line has learned. The Dodge Challenger SRT8 is equipped with a 6.1-liter V8; Chrysler would up the ante with the 6.4-liter V8 mated to a six-speed manual transmission. Output numbers are not yet set in stone, but they are said to be in the neighborhood of 500 horsepower on the 6.4-liter V8, sources said.

What this means to you: Buyers of the Challenger and Camaro will be able to feel the wind in their hair in a couple of years. —
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: IL Insider: Dodge Challenger and Chevrolet Camaro Convertibles in the Pipeline

6.4L engines here we come!!!!!!
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:41 PM

Default RE: IL Insider: Dodge Challenger and Chevrolet Camaro Convertibles in the Pipeline

woohoo and yippeeeeeee! I'm ready for the ride!
Old 01-09-2008, 08:31 AM

I'm curious to see if this changes / delays anyone's purchasing decisions? (Convertible vs coupe and/or 6.4 Liter vs 6.1 liter). Personally, I'm still on track for an `09 R/T and this does nothing to change my own plans. This new info. is certainly nice to have however.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:19 AM

maybe just maybe with this info getting out the prices will come back to earth and the 09 R/T will be in reach this year yet . Things were starting to look grim for me. This is a boost .
Old 01-09-2008, 10:08 AM

Allpar.com was on the money when they reported the convertible a few months ago.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

500HP......watch out Caddy!

Old 01-09-2008, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to get a 6.4, but I've waited long enough!

It will be a 2009 6.1 SRT for me!!
Old 01-10-2008, 07:15 AM

Decisions decisions...hopefully they have a variety of body color/top color options out when the convertible becomes available...Sublime with a white top/interior? 6.4 with a 6 speed? That could be interesting!
Old 01-10-2008, 07:23 AM
Banned

DmnBoy, that's exactly the color combo I would choose. Well, it's a toss-up between Sublime and Plum Crazy.

Quick Reply: IL Insider: Dodge Challenger and Chevrolet Camaro Convertibles in the Pipeline