Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Jobs at Chrysler in jeopardy

Old 02-13-2007, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jobs at Chrysler in jeopardy

What does unveiling mean?

Jobs at Chrysler in jeopardy

PETER CRISCIONE
February 13, 2007

The fate of some 900 workers at Brampton's DaimlerChrysler plant remains up in the air after information leaked to the media this week suggests the company plans to kick-start restructuring efforts by slashing jobs.
News of potential job losses-- a U.S. news outlet reported as many as 10,000 jobs could be axed across North America-- comes as Chrysler is expected to announce Brampton will soon start production of the Dodge Challenger muscle car.

Stuart Schorr, senior communications manager with DaimlerChrysler, called the news speculation.

"If you look around it's not unusual, there are a lot of stories, people speaking, and analysts trying to handicap what will happen," Schorr told The Guardian. "But I think it's definitely all on the level of speculation. The company hasn't said any of this yet. We have acknowledged though that we are looking at taking some action to get more competitive but we'll announce those details Feb. 14."

It is expected the company will unveil the production of the Dodge Challenger, in addition to a restructuring plan for North American operations.

But an unnamed source told a Toronto news publication that the volume of cars coming off the production line each year-- pegged at 30,000-- won't be enough to maintain the Brampton plant's third shift.

Union officials told The Guardian they were aware of the company's plan to revamp operations, but added Chrysler has made no mention of job cuts.

"I don't know where a lot of these leaks come from. Our last meeting with Chrysler, which wasn't too long ago, there hadn't been anything mentioned about the loss of the third shift," said Vince Bailey, president of Local 1285, the branch of the Canadian Auto Workers union that represents Brampton Chrysler employees. "We all know right now that (job loss) will always depend on market conditions, which is only natural with any plant. But no, they didn't mention anything about eliminating the third shift immediately."

The company reported that it experienced massive financial losses in 2006, and the concern is the unveiling of the plan next week will include job cuts to offset poor performance.

Schorr would not comment on the plan.

"There has been a lot of media speculation about what the company will announce, and that's understandable," Schorr said. "But we're going to all have to sit tight and wait for the company to announce what if any changes there will be from the restructuring."

The Brampton plant started up production on Monday after being shut down for three weeks in January.

Brampton plant union chair Ardis Snow said the company has to date given no indication that the third shift is in jeopardy.

"I know on Feb. 14 the company is going to make an announcement, and I guess it will be a second turn around plan," Snow added. "But right now from all our discussions I don't think Brampton is going to be part of that turn around plan.

"We don't want to jump the gun on anything so we'll just pretty much wait; we've got eight days until the announcement."

Snow told The Guardian national union representatives were scheduled to sit down with company officials yesterday, to talk about "some of these rumors swirling around for the last couple days."

The Brampton plant employs roughly 3,900 people.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.