Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

A muscle car for rich retro-geezers

Old 02-19-2008, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A muscle car for rich retro-geezers

A muscle car for rich retro-geezers

Jeremy Cato, today at 3:49 PM EST

I am betting that the 2009 Dodge Challenger will be a hit, a certified hit, rather than a flash-in-the-pan muscle car for rich retro-geezers.

Take a long look at it down at the Canadian International Auto Show. It’s a Xerox of the 1970 original and that’s a good thing. Except, of course, for the huge Brembo disc brakes on all four corners – brakes designed to bring this car to a stop from 100 km/hour in just 33.5 metres, or about 110 feet.

What’s better is the drag-strip performance. Chrysler types are saying the 6.1-litre, 425-Horsepower Hemi V-8 will give you a 0-100 km/hour time of about five seconds. FIVE SECONDS?

So this growler will get into Audi R8 territory for about a third of the Audi’s $130,000 starting price tag. Fantastic.

At the show I have heard some criticism of this new Challenger, the one slated to roll of Chrysler’s assembly line in Brampton and go on sale in the spring.

Where is the originality? I’ve heard. Those are the same people who carped about the original Challenger design study in Detroit two years ago.

Those people don’t get it and will never get it and we shouldn’t worry about them.

And then there are the ones who complain about mega horsepower at a time when gas prices are surging and global warming is a topic overhead at every barbeque and cocktail party and energy security is a big campaign issue in the U.S. presidential election.

Well, Chrysler plans to sell about 6,400 Challenger SRT8s this year. It is a limited-production item and each gets a numbered plate on the dashboard. The V-6 and less potent V-8 Challengers coming in the fall will push total sales volume to about 30,000 a year.

Here is the point: from an environmental perspective, 30,000 cars will make absolutely no difference to the state of the planet, not with the low emissions of today’s new cars. The enviro argument is a non-starter. Really, if you want to help the planet, get rid of your old car and replace it with a vastly cleaner new one.

In any case, Chrysler will not be selling millions of new Challengers over the next 50 years. Not a chance. The days of these sorts of cars are coming to an end.

The original Challenger arrived in 1969 as a '70 model and production ended in 1974. Here’s betting the new Challenger will be phased out within four years, just the like original.

If you love these kinds of cars, enjoy them while you can; their days are numbered.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:48 PM

Default RE: A muscle car for rich retro-geezers

I was running on full throttle and enjoying this article until the last two paragraphs. Up 'til that point, I thought for once, maybe twice, we actually had a journalist thinking along the same lines as we do. Anyway, nice post Jeremiah
Old 02-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

That is okay 4 years is better than what I would expect if it happens. As long as I get my Challenger I will be a happy camper.

Anyways that is his opinion.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:14 PM

They will be 4 happy years for some, I will be happy this may! and as many days as I have left. Then it will be my sons to enjoy.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:49 PM

Hello there Guys,

I have an off the topic question for this thread.

Does any one one have an idea what the weight is for a V6?

And can you please tell me why everyone is concerned about the weight of the Chally?

Old 02-19-2008, 09:12 PM

The weight of the SXT Charger is 3800. So the V6 challenger will probably be 3750-3780.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Cheekie

Hello there Guys,

And can you please tell me why everyone is concerned about the weight of the Chally?

First of all, the car is a CHALLENGER, not a "Chally." Absolutely NOBODY who had one of the 1970-1974 models EVER drove a "Chally." The new cars cost considerably more than the original models, so please give the new cars the respect they, too, deserve. Also, this is America, not England. We watch televisions and drive Challengers, not "tellys" and "Challys."

Seriously, the concern over the weight arises from its affect on performance. A heavier car, logically, can't run as fast as a lighter car (assuming both have similar engines). In the case of the V-6, which you probably want for gas mileage (in addition to keeping your insurance rates down), the heavier the car, the harder the engine has to work -- which would cut your gas mileage.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:11 AM

I agree with roswell, the car is a challenger, not a chally. I nave used that word some but never have liked to.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:14 AM

sadly i have to with my typing lazyness ... plz forgive me my brothers![:-]
Old 02-20-2008, 08:12 AM

Well said on your last paragraph Roswell!

I too have typed "Chally" a couple of times, the same reason kevin stated. Now if you spoke the word chally, then I would be a little angry.

Quick Reply: A muscle car for rich retro-geezers