Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

New York Auto Show Preview: Dodge Challenger R/T and V6 Models To Debut

Old 02-08-2008, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New York Auto Show Preview: Dodge Challenger R/T and V6 Models To Debut

CHICAGO — From the reading-between-the-lines department comes this little nugget: Dodge will unveil the R/T and V6 versions of its Challenger muscle car at the 2008 New York Auto Show in mid-March.

Asked repeatedly at the debut of the 425-horsepower Challenger SRT8 model at the Chicago auto show when we would see other variations on the Challenger theme, Chrysler Vice Chairman and President Jim Press said, "Just wait until New York."

We expect the R/T to come with a 340- or 350-hp 5.7-liter version of the company's Hemi V8 and a five-speed automatic transmission, just as R/T versions of Chargers and Magnums do. The V6 version will likely carry the 250-hp 3.5-liter six-cylinder and, if Dodge follows its own naming convention, will be dubbed the SXT.

One would hope that both will come to market without the "carbon fiber" stickers applied to the hood of the Challenger SRT8.

The SRT8 model starts at $37,995.

What this means to you: You'll soon be able to get the look without all the cost. — Daniel Pund, Senior Editor, Detroit

Old 02-08-2008, 05:26 PM

Default RE: New York Auto Show Preview: Dodge Challenger R/T and V6 Models To Debut

Less than a month, we should have all of the info that we need.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: New York Auto Show Preview: Dodge Challenger R/T and V6 Models To Debut

Hopefully those models will secure the Challenger's longevity for at least 3 years or more.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:33 PM

ORIGINAL: joeyr

We expect the R/T to come with a 340- or 350-hp 5.7-liter version of the company's Hemi V8 and a five-speed automatic transmission, just as R/T versions of Chargers and Magnums do. The V6 version will likely carry the 250-hp 3.5-liter six-cylinder and, if Dodge follows its own naming convention, will be dubbed the SXT.

One would hope that both will come to market without the "carbon fiber" stickers applied to the hood of the Challenger SRT8.

— Daniel Pund, Senior Editor, Detroit
Not sure who Daniel Pund is or who he writes for, but the "word" is that the R/T will have a comparably refreshed 5.7L HEMI as will be in the 2009 RAM P/U, which with VVT is now rated at 380 HP and 404 lb-ft of torque, not the previous version putting out 340/350 HP and 390 tqe.
Not sure why Danny doesn't like the carbon fiber stripes on the '08 SRT8. Maybe Mama regularly beat him with a fly-swatter (with a similar weave/pattern embossed into it) when he was a young child trying to grow up? Who knows? Who cares?
Old 02-08-2008, 05:59 PM

the article come from edmunds, my guess he would have prefered an actual carbon fiber hood. but he could have been beaten like you so elegantly mentioned. [sm=icon_beat.gif]
Old 02-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Lord knows I was fleet of foot when mama grabbed the fly swater!

Old 02-08-2008, 06:32 PM

That's exciting news about the V6 models!
Old 02-08-2008, 06:32 PM

[sm=icon_rofl.gif]. Thats so not good. Running only made it worse.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

True, then if she didn't catch ya, she'd send in the heavy....AND...you don't run from him!

Old 02-09-2008, 05:37 PM

Thank God the V-6 is coming. That means the Challenger will have some longevity!

Hmmmm ... and I still keep thinking: Whate if the V-6s enter the rental-car market and I can eventually pick one up at a reasonable price to use as a daily driver while the R/T stays safe and snug in the garage ...

Quick Reply: New York Auto Show Preview: Dodge Challenger R/T and V6 Models To Debut