Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Private equity groups are front-runners in bid for Chrysler

Old 03-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Private equity groups are front-runners in bid for Chrysler

Thanks to purnrg for bringing this to my attention.

Private equity groups are front-runners in bid for Chrysler

DETROIT — Two private equity firms appear to be the front-runners in the quest to buy Chrysler Group, the troubled U.S. arm of DaimlerChrysler AG.

Cerberus Capital Management LLC and a consortium of investors headed by Blackstone Group and Centerbridge Partners LP spent much of last week at Chrysler's Auburn Hills headquarters crunching numbers and meeting with top Chrysler executives, a company official said Tuesday.

The Chrysler official, who spoke to Associated Press on condition of anonymity on Tuesday due to the sensitive nature of the talks, said potential bidders were deeply studying Chrysler's finances.

Buzz Hargrove, president of the Canadian Auto Workers, said Chrysler met last week “with all of the possible bidders, and I expect in the next couple of weeks you'll have some kind of an announcement.”

“I would expect it would be sold,” he added. He believes the buyer will “probably, unfortunately, be one of these private equity groups, and that's going to mean a lot less jobs for people.”

He said a company of this size can't operate for a continuing length of time under this type of uncertainty, which is why he expects an announcement in the next few weeks.

“I talked to one of the private equity groups who called me, and that's just my sense of it,” Mr. Hargrove said, declining to name the group.

Mr. Hargrove is anticipating an announcement from Chrysler on Wednesday about whether the Brampton Assembly Plant in Ontario will be the recipient of a $700-million investment that would allow the plant to assemble five different vehicle models.

Canadian auto parts maker Magna International and General Motors Corp. also reportedly have looked into buying all or part of Chrysler Group. Private equity firms Apollo Management LP and the Carlyle Group also are said to be interested.

Spokesmen for the private equity firms haven't talked about the issue and GM won't confirm or deny the reports. Magna's top executive has confirmed his company's interest.

Yet while Magna remains interested, KeyBanc Capital Markets analyst Brett Hoselton said in a note to investors that his sources, whom he did not identify or describe, indicate that the likelihood of the Canadian company taking a stake in Chrysler recently has been reduced.

“Our sources have indicated that Cerberus and Blackstone have emerged as the leading contenders to acquire Chrysler, and that due to valuation issues, MGA (Magna) is now playing a smaller role in the sale process,” Mr. Hoselton's note said.

Analysts have speculated that Magna might join with a private equity firm in buying parts of Chrysler, with Magna holding on to parts of the U.S. business and the equity firm selling off its pieces at a profit.

Mr. Hoselton said Magna's recent discussions with Chrysler had the auto parts supplier taking a 30 to 40 per cent minority stake in the company for about $1.5-billion (U.S.). Magna said last month it had $1.9-billion in cash reserves in 2006 and another $1.8-billion in credit available. The company also cut its dividend in part to raise cash for possible acquisitions.

But Mr. Hoselton's note said Magna has an aversion to debt, making an outright acquisition of Chrysler unlikely.

Several analysts have said that a GM takeover of Chrysler is unlikely, and that talks between GM and Chrysler have focused more on joint development of technology and vehicles such as a large sport utility vehicle.

DaimlerChrysler chief executive officer Dieter Zetsche told reporters last week in Geneva that it also is possible that Chrysler could remain part of the German company.

It was Mr. Zetsche who first floated the idea of a Chrysler sale. On Feb. 14, he said that all options were open for the U.S. oper
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Default RE: Private equity groups are front-runners in bid for Chrysler

are any of you familiar with these companies mentioned as front runners?
Old 03-13-2007, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Nope, but that is common with private equity firms as usually nobody knows them.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:28 PM

On the plus side, they are both American investment firms, so the foreign element is out of the picture. On the minus side, I've heard Blackstone has a reputation in the past of being one of those corporate raiders that buys a company and sells off pieces of it; haven't been able to confirm or deny that yet. I'll let you all know if I find any more info out!