Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

R.I.P. DODGE VIPER

Old 03-31-2008, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R.I.P. DODGE VIPER

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/31/a...-john-mcelroy/

R.I.P. DODGE VIPER

A few blogs back I wrote about how Chrysler is going to combine its three brands and start eliminating overlapping models. The idea is to have Dodge concentrate on trucks and work-utilities, with Chrysler exclusively selling cars, and Jeep offering only SUV-based Jeeps.

It's a bold plan, but a risky one. And while I see the logic in what they're trying to achieve, I don't agree with parts of it. Specifically, I wrote in my blog that no matter what happens, they ought to keep the Dodge Viper. Well, so much for my opinion. The word just leaked out that the Viper is going to get the axe.

John McElroy is host of the TV program "Autoline Detroit". Every week he brings his unique insights as an auto industry insider to Autoblog readers. Follow the jump to finish reading this week's editorial.

The automotive analysts at Bear Stearns report today that this is part of Chrysler's unrelenting mission to cut costs and get back to profitability. Since the Viper is built in its own stand-alone plant in Detroit, it gives the company the opportunity to close another high-cost factory and get rid of more high-cost labor. It also saves the company from having to invest in a redesign of the Viper, a redesign which was already underway.

Even though the headcount reduction doesn't add up to all that much, and even though the Viper is built in pretty low production, killing the car could save the company several hundred million dollars a year. And Chrysler desperately needs that kind of money.

But the reason I thought they should keep it is that the Viper brings in hundreds of millions of dollars a year in free publicity. It's an iconic car that attracts hard core enthusiasts to the Dodge brand, even if they can't afford it. I have no doubt the Viper helps sell Rams and Durangos as well as Chargers and Avengers.

So the next question becomes: what happens to the Dodge Challenger? The guys at Bear Stearns say that the pony car will stay in the line-up, as will the Charger R/T---at least for the time being. Since they're both built in the same plant as the Chrysler 300 and use the Hemi, there isn't much cost savings in getting rid of them – at least not right away.

They also say that there's a glimmer of hope that the Viper will hang on to complement the other two muscle cars. But with the car market slowing dramatically, and with Chrysler's sales and market share cratering, there's a lot more internal pressure to get rid of the Viper than to keep it.

No doubt this report is going to cause a huge public outcry against killing the car. And I've got to believe the more public and the more vocal it is, the harder it will be for Chrysler to get rid of it. So all you Autoblog readers out there, let 'em know what you think.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: R.I.P. DODGE VIPER

I am not a bean counter but I am a realist and in today's global economy, it is all about making the right financial/marketing decisions to survive.

It would be great to keep the Viper, but I think they would be crazy to do so from a ROI viewpoint.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:09 PM

I was much more sad about the Ford GT being discontinued. That is an awesome car.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Foolish move, Dodge needs the Viper to maintain a diverse performance image. They should keep the Viper in the case when they need to head back to aerodynamic designs, the Viper is the model that they use to combine the best aerodynamics with excellent styling. What they need to do is keep the Viper as their halo car, and use the Viper styling on at least one of their cars like they did back when Chrysler was doing well (pre-merger). They should also keep it as their test car for new technology to improve performance and fuel economy. The Viper was the model that spear headed the VCT on a pushrod design for Chrysler. What they need to do is take a different approach with the car. They need to first of all use a different engine. The LA engine was partly dropped because it was expensive to build, so eliminate all of them and replace them with cheaper to build Hemi Magnum designs. They should either make a V10 out of the Hemi Magnum or just lose the V10 idea altogether. The purpose of the V10 originally was to make the Viper more excluse and to make up for the issue that they lacked a V8 at that time that could provide the power they needed to make the Viper what it is now known as being. Since Chrysler has been able to make a 392 engine out of the Hemi Magnum's block that is far more powerful than any stock engine from the LA line, it is possible that they could just replace the V10 with a premium Hemi. If they were to take the 392, add VCT, and possibly add a GDI system, 600hp wouldn't be a pipe dream for a NA engine that in crate forms is able to produce 525hp. They wouldn't need as large an engine compartment which would help the weight issue, the V8 itself would naturally be lighter than a V10, the price to build would most likely be less as it would be just a higher performance Hemi as opposed to a different block. New technology upgrades to the Viper's engine could be passed down cost effectively to the other models using this engine helping to cut back R&D expenses for the other models. The fuel economy would be better if geared correctly.

They other thing they need to do is offer it in an automatic as an option. If Italian supercars are allowed to feature this, then why not the Viper since it was targeted against them. The new Dual-Clutch models would do excellently. If they were to offer automatic models, the demand would increase as the current one alienates people who would like a car like this for the weekends but hate manuals (remember that the rich are often spoiled and many will want an automatic in cars that justify a manual). This would cause an increase in economies of scale and help to lower the cost of each unit. They also need to update the interior. Another thing they should consider is using the Viper's platform for another model to again help the economies of scale. It wouldn't have to be a total top level performance car. Something like the Firepower concept wouldn't be a bad idea. Just giving up like Chrysler has done on so many segments (economic compacts, mid-sized coupes, cheap sporty cars, etc.) is a mistake. Just because something isn't working right now, doesn't mean it will not come back. Who would have thought that pony cars would have come back? Abandoning without putting in a full effort is a mistake.

Billionaire, although I can understand the liking of the GT since it was a awesome car, why would you be more sad about that? The GT had a very short run and unlike the Viper, was impossible for anyone besides the super rich to afford. The Viper has been Dodge's icon/halo car for since 1992, the Mustang is Ford's icon which was why the GT didn't really stick.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-31-2008, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with you there. My favorite car of all time especially the Mach II version.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.