Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

The return of the Dodge Challenger R/T - King 5 Seattle

Old 12-13-2008, 04:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The return of the Dodge Challenger R/T - King 5 Seattle

The return of the Dodge Challenger R/T

10:44 AM PST on Thursday, December 11, 2008

By TOM VOELK / Special to KING5.com

The early 70s were a crazy time. When the original Challenger wrinkled U.S. pavement our president was deeply unpopular, gas prices were unstable and the economy was out of control. Huh. The more things change ...

Certainly the return of the Dodge Challenger R/T is not responsible for the craziness reflected in today’s headlines but the parallels are eerie. We even have Chrysler hitting Uncle Sam up for assistance. It’s like some weird rip in the time/space continuum, which means the second coming of disco should be right around the corner.

The Dodge Challenger R/T

Back to the future

Looking as if it were delivered by a time machine, Challenger makes me smile involuntarily whenever I see one. Please, no e-mails. People may feel this kind of car is responsible for road rage, a warmer planet and a failed American automotive industry, but in the immortal words of Jimmy Cater: “I lust in my heart.” Better that they revived this design than the K car. This is the car I drew in grade school when I should have been studying English. Hey, who knew I’d write for a living? Let that be a lesson to you kids reading this.

Like the classic version I often doodled, the modern Challenger R/T is drop dead gorgeous. Lead designer Jeff Gale should take a bow; it’s a work of art. People love its handsome, chiseled looks. I hung back 50 yards at Costco after doing the TP test and watched people of every age flock and fawn around this machine. It’s as if I’d parked George Clooney there. There’s not a single line I’d alter, though it would be nice if this large car was 9/10th scale Even in size Challenger is a big blast from the past. Emphasis on big.

Enough emotion, let’s talk engineering

Using the rear-drive platform that underpins Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300, Dodge engineers chopped 4 inches out between the font and rear wheels. Even so, it’s definitely larger than Ford’s Mustang. Without the specs on the new Camaro I’ll guess Challenger will easily remain the largest of the trio. My tester is equipped with a $995 Tremec 6-speed manual transmission with limited-slip differential. 5-speed automatics that get 4 few horsepower than manuals are standard on R/Ts. It offers up a decisive feel, easy clutch effort and a great feeling pistil grip that feels custom made for my hand.

Oh, and then there’s the engine. Yes, it’s a Hemi- A 5.7-liter, 376 horsepower, and 410 lbs-ft of torque Hemi. It sounds so good I only listened to the optional premium sound system once to make sure it was worth the $995. It’s nice but at that price the engine soundtrack is preferable. For those wondering where the Hemi name comes from it’s short for “hemispherical," which is the rounded shape of the combustion chamber where the valves are. As expected, the V8 is very powerful. 0-60 times are in the sub 6 second range. Not bad for a 2-ton car. EPA fuel numbers are 15 mpg city/23 mpg highway. My average is 18 MPG. Again, not bad for a two ton car.

Challenger R/T challenges the perception that muscle cars can’t take a turn. With a firm but supple ride quality, this hunk can hold its own in a corner while keeping passengers comfortable. Owners will enjoy twisty roads. No, it’s not a BMW M3 but really, handling will surprise those who would dismiss it offhand. This Dodge is quiet but the Hemi is loud and clear when the pedal hits the metal. Just the way it should be.

Challenger has electronic stability control that can be disabled and very good anti-lock brakes. An interesting tidbit: The big 20-inch chromed wheels are actually a plastic cover that’s shaped to an alloy wheel. Great concept. All you have to do is replace the shiny veneer if it ever gets scratched. I’m sure spares are very cheap at the dealer, right? Right?

The inside story

Just like the original, the cabin is spartan. A little more bright work and some contrasting color would liven up the very dark black space. Still, it’s roomy and comfortable. The front chairs are comfortable, well bolstered and heated. Bluetooth phone connection, great sound with full iPod integration and keyless ignition are all available. I’m disappointed the system doesn’t automatically open the doors too. It sort of defeats the purpose when keys need to be fished out of pocket or purse when entering.

Time to challenge the Challenger’s trunk. A really good sized cargo hold will swallow 8 packs of Kirkland brand 2-ply bath tissue. This one is large but ultimately 7 packs is its capacity if you expect the deck lid to close. Challenger comes back with a generous sized rear seat for three that surprisingly splits and folds to accommodate IKEA runs. Too bad easy ingress to the back seat is only on the passenger side. The driver’s seatback doesn’t tip forward easily to let people in and out.

Other gripes? I’d prefer Challenger to be slightly smaller but that’s as plausible as Gerald Ford being reelected. Knobs all feel good but there’s no automatic climate control, let alone dual zone. Small side view mirrors and large back pillars sacrifice rearward visibility for style. Finally, for a large vehicle the exterior door handles are curiously petite.

The price of today’s yesterday

A fast drive down nostalgia lane in an R/T starts at around $30,000. My tester goes for around 35K. R/T hits the sweet spot between the 250 horsepower V6 SE edition and the take-no-prisoners SRT8 I drove a few months ago. In both price and performance, Challenger R/T offers up the best of the good old days and leaves most the bad stuff behind.