Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

The Right Stuff

Old 04-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Right Stuff

http://www.forbes.com/home/opinions/...0402flint.html

[quote]Backseat Driver
The Right Stuff
Jerry Flint 04.02.08, 6:00 AM ET

It is amazing. Unemployment is still relatively low. Farm prices are at record levels, the economy is not growing fast, but there is little evidence that it is in sharp decline. Still, every bit of financial news gets a negative twist. According to the media, falling unemployment is bad news, because it means people have given up looking for work. A pickup in home sales is worrisome because it means prices are still falling.

The estimates of auto sales this year keep sliding, too. Instead of earlier forecasts of 16 million units in the U.S., many estimates have fallen from 15.7 million to 15.5 million. I have even seen estimates below 15 million. Personally, I still think that the industry can sell more than 16 million units, similar to what it did last year, but I am clearly a minority of one.

Some might say the problem is the fault of the automakers and that sales would be better if all cars were small wonders getting 40 miles to the gallon.

None of us objects to 40 mpg, but I will quote my friend Drew Winter, the editor of Ward’s Auto World in Detroit: "You will get laughed out of a room suggesting that electronics companies should invest all their energies into developing modest, small-screen televisions that are easy on the electric bill, or insisting that Manolo Blahnik ignore fashion and focus instead on making plain, comfortable women’s shoes."

You get the idea. I say that if it is a lousy year, it is not because of the cars. I have just returned from the New York auto show, and can say with certainty that if this year is a flop, it is not the fault of the car companies. They have the right stuff.

Start with Chevrolet. This fall, Chevy gets the Traverse, a big crossover sport utility vehicle. The new Chevy Camaro sporty coupe finally arrives early next year. Both look like big winners.

Pontiac showed three upcoming models at the auto show. Next February, it will add a removable hardtop coupe to its Solstice lineup. Pontiac’s new G8 rear-drive sedan just went on sale, but late next year GM will add a third version, the GXP, with an extra powerful V-8 motor. About the same time, Pontiac will get a G8-based pickup, similar to the El Camino of yesteryear. These new vehicles will not be big volume sellers, but they will create buzz and justify that old Pontiac motto, "We Build Excitement."

Ford Motor (nyse: F - news - people ) could have a high-volume winner with its new Flex, a big boxy anti-minivan people hauler, going on sale this summer. Lincoln has a new model coming, too: the big MKS sedan, which could help the ongoing sales revival at Ford’s domestic luxury division.

Chrysler (nyse: DCX - news - people ) showed production versions of its new Dodge Challenger sport coupe. The expensive 425 horsepower version is on sale now, and the tamer models arrive this fall. The Dodge Journey--a midsize crossover and a crucial test to see if Chrysler can finally crack this important market--just went on sale.

Toyota Motor (nyse: TM - news - people ) is adding yet another sport utility vehicle, the Venza, a most handsome vehicle, coming late this year. Nissan Motor (nasdaq: NSANY - news - people ) showed a bigger, sexier, new Maxima sedan, which will go on sale in early summer. The company also displayed a little boxy model, appropriately called the Cube, which arrives here early next year.

Honda Motor (nyse: HMC - news - people ) displayed its next generation FIT fuel-efficient small car. The new FIT comes this fall, and it is way slicker than today’s model. The Acura division of Honda is getting a new TSX sedan this spring. Acura will also have a four-cylinder diesel next year. Hyundai polished up its Sonata sedan, which just went on sale, and a new upscale four-door rear-drive sedan, called Gene

Old 04-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: The Right Stuff

The car manufacturers are coming out with interesting stuff, I just hope that GM reconsiders the G8 truck idea which I think was already dropped. Note to GM, the Baja didn't sell, the SSR didn't sell, the El Camino was discontinued for a reason, the Ranchero was discontinued for a reason, the Rampage didn't sell. In short, cars with beds aren't popular for a reason, so give up on it and make something that does sell (i.e. the Firebird).

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-01-2008, 06:16 PM

Still, every bit of financial news gets a negative twist.
Yeah, the news media's job is to make everything seem much worse than it is. Success gurus say that it's very bad for you to watch the TV news, because if you want to be successful you have to think positive. It's also very bad for you to hang around negative people, abusive people, and whiners for the same reason. They make you think negatively. And when you think negatively, it makes you a loser.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:13 PM

I agree with RLSH700, they should build a car they know will sell, like the Firebird/Trans Am which would be on the same frame as the Camaro.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:15 PM

I would love a new Trans Am that is closely based on the 1978 Trans Ams. I think those were the best looking ones. I would love to get a 1978 Trans Am and totally restomod it and customize it. I'm going to do that someday.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Year One offers them now, with poncho power or BB chevy. They are called the Bandit series. They do a ground up build and give it all the go fast and stop quick goodies. But get out your wallet
Old 04-02-2008, 03:45 AM

Default Year One Trans Am

I just went to their web site. I am so in love. It's now definitely on my list of goals to get one of these, except mine's gonna be gold, not black.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:09 AM

Default RE: Year One Trans Am

I owed a 79 just like this one. Sold it when I left the military. What a dumb move that was..

http://inlinethumb56.webshots.com/42...200x200Q85.jpg
Old 04-02-2008, 07:39 AM

Default RE: Year One Trans Am

Still have my 78 Formula (remember those?), haven't driven it since last year when I grenaded the radiator - been debating on whether to hang on to it or dump it, kinda hate seeing it sit in the garage just collecting dust.[&:]
Old 04-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know what year my cousin's husband's Trans Am is, but it is either a 1977 or 1978. He has kept it garaged and it is worth big bucks from what he told me.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Quick Reply: The Right Stuff