Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Road & Track - July 2008 Dodge Challenger 2008 article

Old 06-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road & Track - July 2008 Dodge Challenger 2008 article

Well, I got my latest issue of Road and Track.

Would you guys and gals agree that it seemed to have the most comprehensive write up and specs on the Dodge Challenger?

What do you think?

Road Test: 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8
Dodge delivers a Hemi-powered time machine.

By Matt Delorenzo • Photos by Marc Urbano

July 2008

Sweet. This adjective used by those two lovable lunks in the "that thang got a Hemi?" ad campaign pretty much sums up the Dodge Challenger SRT8. This latest addition to the Dodge stable not only recalls the styling of the original 1970 Challenger but also provides the same kind of tire-smoking straight-line fun with the added bonus of being able to handle a curve or two. Sweet.

There was no doubt when the concept was unveiled a little more than two years ago that Dodge was going to build it. And it has done yeoman's work in keeping the shape of the street version true to the retro-inspired show car, although the proportions are slightly different to accommodate production needs. There are a few cues from the show car that are missing and a few new touches added. On balance, the production car is largely better for it.

Built on a shortened version of the LX platform that underpins the Dodge Charger, the Challenger has a 116.0-in. wheelbase and measures 197.7 in. overall. At 75.7 in. wide, it is some 4 in. narrower than the concept. And it's a tall car, standing 57.0 in. high — we noticed in a parking lot that the roof of the Corvette parked alongside just barely cleared the top of the Challenger's outside rearview mirrors.

Unlike the original Challenger, which had a shapely "fuselage" body that wrapped under at the rocker panels, the new car is slightly more slab-sided. But that's a good thing because it makes this muscular car, with its 20-in. wheels and tires, look as if it is firmly planted to the tarmac.

The Challenger has a classic long-hood, short-rear-deck profile that remains compelling to this day. The grille opening is faithful to the original Challenger's and provides welcome respite from the tyranny of the Dodge family's cross-hair grille design inspired by the Ram truck. Anyone with just a passing familiarity with the division's history will immediately recognize it as a Dodge. The only caveat is if someone catches a fleeting glimpse of the car's C-pillar treatment. Although it clearly has lineage to the original, it also is remarkably similar to Chevy's reincarnated pony car, so much so that a UPS driver, when he first spotted the car, stopped, jumped out of his truck at a stoplight and asked if I were driving the new Camaro.

Still, exterior designer Jeff Gale (son of former Chrysler design vice president Tom Gale) must be complimented on keeping exterior filigree to an absolute minimum. There is one Challenger badge in the front grille, two discrete SRT plates, the Dodge Ram's head emblem on the top of the front fascia and Dodge lettering across the rear. That's it.

Slideshow >>
In wind-tunnel testing, Dodge discovered that the large horizontal grille is actually a pocket that causes lift at triple-digit speeds. Gale's solution was to look back at the Challenger Trans-Am car of the early 1970s and design jutting chin and rear decklid spoilers similar to those used on the racer. But other than these two devices, the car eschews clichéd wings, rocker extensions and other aerodynamic bits of flotsam and jetsam.

Other changes from the concept include making the hood scoops functional (they primarily vent the engine compartment rather than provide any ram air for the engine) and adding a chrome filler door marked FUEL in the original typeface from the 1970 model.

While the concept was a B-pillarless hardtop with retractable rear windows, in production, the Challenger needs that extra roof support. The pillar is hidden behind fixed rear quarter glass so that in p
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:35 PM

Default RE: Road & Track - July 2008 Dodge Challenger 2008 article

What more can you say? Sweet. I like it.

Gotta say I've been pretty impressed with all the reviews I've read to date. Just seems like everybody really likes this car overall. Really itchin' to get the chance to give it my own personal review.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:08 PM

i have to stop reading reviews on this car because every time i do i want to run out to the dealership and buy one.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:10 AM

One of the biggest common denominators that I recongnize from nearly every review is the attention factor. I chuckle when I read stuff like employees pouring out of an auto parts store with cell phone cameras in hand trying to snap off a few pics before the light truns green. Or cars nearly getting into accidents out on the road just so they can get a better look. How do you not love that?
Old 06-03-2008, 02:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Albeeno

One of the biggest common denominators that I recongnize from nearly every review is the attention factor. I chuckle when I read stuff like employees pouring out of an auto parts store with cell phone cameras in hand trying to snap off a few pics before the light truns green. Or cars nearly getting into accidents out on the road just so they can get a better look. How do you not love that?
if your in the accident with your challenger.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Clever. :-)

Old 06-04-2008, 07:35 AM

dually noted...

ORIGINAL: tcchubb

ORIGINAL: Albeeno

if your in the accident with your challenger.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:42 PM

lol just thought that would suck. i think i would kill someone if that happened
Old 06-19-2008, 05:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The issue also had the following test results and a link to a video.

Test Results

0-60 mph= 4.7 sec.
0-100 mph= 11.0 sec.
0-120 mph= 15.5 sec.
1/4 mile= 13.0 sec. @109.7 mph
60-0 mph= 121 ft.
Skidpad= 0.85g
Slalom= 65 mph
Mileage= 16.1 avg.
Noise= 81bBA max. 1st gear

http://www.roadandtrack.com/video/
Old 06-21-2008, 03:44 PM

Cool Article. I also liked the KR and SS articles.
all i can say is... IT'S ON!

Quick Reply: Road & Track - July 2008 Dodge Challenger 2008 article