Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Should I buy a Ford Mustang GT or Dodge Challenger R/T?

Old 09-22-2008, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy a Ford Mustang GT or Dodge Challenger R/T?

Should I buy a Ford Mustang GT or Dodge Challenger R/T?

Or should I wait for the new Chevrolet Camaro SS? My budget is around $35,000.
Saqer A., San Diego Cars.com editor Kelsey Mays drove the 370-horsepower Challenger R/T and 300-horsepower Mustang GT back to back. He gives his impressions on the retro-styled modern pony cars below:

“We drove both cars back to back, and if your money isn't threatening to burn a hole through your pocket, we'd suggest waiting for the Camaro SS and heavily updated 2010 Mustang before making your decision [both are scheduled for an early 2009 release]. The Challenger's strengths are ride quality and roominess, not outright acceleration or hang-the-tail handling. Though down in horsepower, the current Mustang is eminently smaller and lighter, and you feel it as soon as you get behind the wheel. Its rear wheels are easier to swing wide — albeit harder to recover. The GT's 4.6-liter V-8 feels snappier off the line and easier to push hard than the Challenger's 5.7-liter. The differences are even more apparent when you compare a V-6 Mustang with the Challenger SE; the Challenger is more comfortable, but the Mustang is quicker and altogether more entertaining to drive.

“If you must buy today, I'd take the Challenger; the R/T is certainly quick enough, and it packs better ride comfort and more safety features than the Mustang. We haven't sampled the Camaro SS, but its 6.2-liter V-8 has proven a potent, torque-rich powertrain in the Corvettes we've tested. We'd also have to give the styling nod to GM; both inside and out, the Camaro looks more convincing than the Challenger or Mustang.”

http://ask.cars.com/2008/09/challenger-or-m.html?

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:18 PM

Default RE: Should I buy a Ford Mustang GT or Dodge Challenger R/T?

lol @ the styling comment about the camaro.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Opinions like noses... everyone has one. Those that like Mustangs will more than likely choose that car. Camaro in the same fashion. But I have seen Ford and Chevy boys buying the new Challenger and saying positive things about it. No matter whats in print, I'm Mopar through and through. I'll be driving a Challenger and as when I drive my 70 Challenger I'll be enjoying the ride
Old 09-23-2008, 08:32 PM

Rhetorical question... right?
Old 09-23-2008, 08:48 PM

well, one could buy, the Camaro, or the new Mustang, but only those of us fortunate to have chosen THE CAR will be rewarded by the everlasting grin. Mopar or no car!!!
Old 09-24-2008, 12:57 AM

Well, having driven a 2000 V-6 Mustang when it was a new and now an 09 Challenger SE when it is new, I would go with the Challenger. The statement that the Mustang is "altogether more entertaining to drive" indicates to me that the writer must have tried the cars on a closed course. The entertainment value of watching folks' reactions to the Challenger is so far beyond anything I have experienced with the Mustang (let alone ANY other car) and suggests that that there were no other people present when the writer tried the cars. Also, his comments about the looks of the Camaro are peculiar at best. In a lot of ways, the Camaro looks too much like too many other modern cars. Both the Challenger and the Mustang honor their heritage in appearance. The Camaro does not, in my opinion.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:03 AM

Not really sure this is a valid question. I mean if this was an open forum on all makes models may be a viable question but here? Simple answer...CHALLENGER!
Old 09-24-2008, 04:46 PM

brucer... are you trying to accuse the members of the forum as having a bias or prejudice...

...or just incredibly good taste in cars... [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 09-24-2008, 06:25 PM

Well the thing with me is this. I have Always been a Chevy man my whole life and my father was the mopar guy as he had a white 69 charger when I was a kid and still has to this day a 65 dodge crew cab that he bought off the dealership floor for his gardening business and it still runs. My first car was a 69 El Camino and I have owned 2 of those. If chevy had come out with a retro styled Chevelle instead of the camero I would be in a real quandry over what I would be buying, but since they decided to resurect the camero name on that squared out future/retro vehicle my choice was crystal clear "DODGE CHALLENGER ALL THE WAY". I have been tracking this car since it appeared at the auto show as a concept and am what I hope to be only a couple weeks (late sept / early Oct) from actually owning it. [sm=drooldude.gif]
Old 09-25-2008, 05:56 AM

Mopar, is this a trick question to get me in trouble? Actually I was definately meaning that our members here have incredibly great taste in THE CAR. Except those that have to ask silly questions like should I buy a Mustang, Camaro or Challenger! [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Quick Reply: Should I buy a Ford Mustang GT or Dodge Challenger R/T?