Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Viper gets new fangs for 2008

Old 04-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper gets new fangs for 2008

Viper gets new fangs for 2008

(http://searchchicago.suntimes.com/au...041008.article)

April 10, 2008

BY JEFF TAYLOR SearchChicago – Autos Contributor

The first time I saw a Dodge Viper was in concept form at the 1989 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. At that time I remember thinking “nice tease” because there was no way -- no way -- that Chrysler would build that concept. Chrysler was in another cash crunch, didn’t manufacture any rear-wheel drive performance cars and only had a weak passenger-car V-8, let alone a big V-10.

So after an 11th hour substitute as the 1991 Indianapolis Pace Car, I still wasn’t convinced this car would hit the streets. Perhaps Dodge was playing the biggest April Fools joke of all time?

No, that was not the case as first-generation Viper GTS production began in May 1992 at the New Mack Assembly Plant; Production shifted to Conner Avenue in Detroit in October of 1995.

Today the Viper hits its fourth generation for 2008. I feasted on the latest version as an SRT10 Coupe. No, this snake doesn’t taste like chicken or act like any of the other members of the 500+ club. The “500” refers to horsepower, and Viper SRT10 looks back at that number … way back.

The Street and Racing Technology (SRT) group produces vehicles that showcase five key aspects: Exterior styling that resonates with the brand image; race-inspired interiors; world-class ride and handling characteristics across a dynamic range; benchmark braking; and standout powertrain. The Viper SRT10 is the pinnacle of these five aspects.

If you’re offended by discussions of brazen horsepower, clouds of smoke and unbridled consumption of natural resources -- all for the sheer enjoyment of it -- then stop reading now. OK, if you’re still with me hang on!

I like to drive for the sheer enjoyment of it, the feeling you get when driver and machine are working in perfect harmony giving and taking to maximize the experience.

The Viper is a machine that you can do this with, but there is a cost beyond the $90,745 as-tested-price. As you can imagine the Viper is not realistic as an everyday driver, but let’s not dwell on that right now.

For 2008 horsepower is up – way up. Try a 90 horse increase to 600 ponies! This lofty figure comes courtesy of a new, 8.4-liter aluminum V-10 engine that also develops 560 pound-feet of rim twisting torque. The engine has been thoroughly revised with increased displacement and new heads, which betters breathing with everything else beefed up and still meeting tough regulatory requirements for Low Emissions Vehicle (LEV) 2 mandates.

A stout engine needs a strong follow up, and Dodge developed a tough transmission. Dodge channels the V-10’s power through a new, smaller-diameter, and industry leading twin-disc clutch six speed transmission. The improvement here (verses the old large-diameter, single-disc setup) is that the calf muscle on your left leg will not be larger than the one on the right, and the shift throws are 30 percent shorter and smoother.

As for fuel economy, let’s just say that the 13 city and 22 highway mpg numbers are theoretically possible. Oh, and Uncle Sam will charge you $1,700 for the privilege of consuming large amounts of fossil fuel.

When you first fire this baby up, the ground shakes, and the entire car vibrates … noticeably. Backing this car out of the office parking lot and then heading out into traffic,I was unprepared for the rush of power and almost looped the car as the rear tires were no match for the 600 horses. Be advised that Vipers do not come with stability or traction control, so you are in manual override all the time.

The ride and handling of the 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 is defined by a race-bred, fully independent, four-wheel suspension featuring lightweight, high-performance aluminum control arms and knuckles,
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Default RE: Viper gets new fangs for 2008

unfortunately, the 600hp viper costs more and is only slightly faster than the Z06...dodge is putting this car to bed because its beaten...but what do they expect, basically using the same car since it came out? they rode the car as long as they could, and now the Z06 has more bang for less buck...not to mention an engine platform that is considered one of the best american engines series of all time.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:27 AM

If i had the money i would take a new viper over a z06 in a heartbeat. I had a 2001 rt/10 for a while and absolutely loved it. If i had 50k to spend i would buy a 2002 gts way before i bought a c6.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Administrator

hmmm..interesting point of view, but i do not agree, just based on the bang for the buck offered by the Z06, and i love the look of the C6.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:14 AM

i have to agree with bluestang50 i would absolutly chose the viper over a zo6 the zo6 is accessable to just about anyone but you dont reslly see vipers on the road that often. In terms of comparasion i think it is more of styleing battles then performance the twom cars are almost exactly the same but the viper is more agressive looking...............thats my nopion though my dad has a c6 and it is a very beautiful and powerful car, he's got an agressive tune in specially built for his car , not to metion that he is the first owner/driver of the car(it was built for him) but when he retires he wants..........................a viper and hes a die hard chevy fan WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/966/942BBBB91A3A4BA3B7228CA9CD686380.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/966/25B51A75E6CD4147948FB26657C759A4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/966/055783DA09B2474EBE96FB2E1AA54495.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/966/058F1E8A8C014132A75466282459BB2A.jpg[/IMG]

LIKE I SAID BETTER LOOKING
Old 04-17-2008, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 1 Bad Mirada

unfortunately, the 600hp viper costs more and is only slightly faster than the Z06...dodge is putting this car to bed because its beaten...but what do they expect, basically using the same car since it came out? they rode the car as long as they could, and now the Z06 has more bang for less buck...not to mention an engine platform that is considered one of the best american engines series of all time.
...and the Viper is using an engine line that was designed for price and durability over performance. Had Chrysler disposed of this V10 with the rest of the LA/Magnum based engines and went with a Hemi based engine (V8 or V10), which is performance based, the outcome would more than likely be different. The LS engines are outstanding engines, but the Hemi line is able to match and beat them in some cases while requiring less compression, less technology, and sometimes with a lesser transmission.

It's sad to see how this car has been neglected and been limited due to the lousy management that ran the company for so long.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts