Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Will the Challenger be a short lived muscle car because of gasoline prices?

Old 08-31-2006, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Will the Challenger be a short lived muscle car because of gasoline prices?

Naturally because the vacation season is over the demand declines, thus makes the price lower. The best way to do things is to be like my father's one client. At the beginning of each year he waits until gas is about as cheap as he thinks its going to be and he stocks up big time. He saves a lot of money doing that.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-06-2006, 12:24 AM

Default RE: Will the Challenger be a short lived muscle car because of gasoline prices?

Ironically, gas prices go down around election time. Big oil[:'(] is (in my opinion) just trying to keep their bedfellows in political office. Also RLSH700 thanks for response to my post and I am lucky to have access to a site where knowledge on cars, the technology the runs it, and history behind them is so well known by people like yourself. (I also liked the MT article but feel it will be implemented either as a last resort by the government or bought up by big oil.) Edmunds had an interesting article about an electric Mini cooper built by a private company that claimed high perfromance and superb fuel economy. You (or anyone else) might want to read it.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=116695
Old 09-06-2006, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

Well I don't completely buy that theory because gas normally comes down around this time of year, whether or not it is an election year. The fact is the end of the vacation season happens around now, which causes an end in the demand for gas.

You're very welcome, you're being too kind. I'm happy to help and to have someone to talk to about this stuff. By researching this stuff in the debates, I also learn more all the time. Honestly, I don't know that much, I'm just observing what the Japanese due to be successful and suggesting that we do the same. If you have anymore questions or anything else you want to talk about, please ask, I'll be happy to help.

Thanks for the link about the electric Mini cooper. It was interesting.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-06-2006, 01:00 AM

ORIGINAL: joeyr

Ironically, gas prices go down around election time. Big oil[:'(] is (in my opinion) just trying to keep their bedfellows in political office. Also RLSH700 thanks for response to my post and I am lucky to have access to a site where knowledge on cars, the technology the runs it, and history behind them is so well known by people like yourself. (I also liked the MT article but feel it will be implemented either as a last resort by the government or bought up by big oil.) Edmunds had an interesting article about an electric Mini cooper built by a private company that claimed high perfromance and superb fuel economy. You (or anyone else) might want to read it.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=116695
Please...that's a conspiracy theory on "Big Oil" that I doubt you could offer one tangible fact to support. You really think oil companies have that much control on global supply and demand...c'mon? An equally dubious theory might be that OPEC will exert pressure by constricting output thereby putting Republicans in trouble and contributing to getting weak-on-defense liberals elected allowing more terrorist attacks due to a weakened military and ultimately raising oil prices through the roof. (All that on one breath...whew)

Fact is
Old 09-06-2006, 01:04 AM

...oil companies have more ability to lower the price by going out and finding new sources of oil than they do to raise the prices. The market would correct any company that tried to really manipulate prices outside of competitive forces.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Everything you said awsure is logically sound and accurate about the oil market. The fact is if oil was artifically being inflated, Wal-Mart would undersell the competition out of business. The problem is that China and India are using more oil than they used to and that is naturally going to cause prices to go hirer and cause the oil companies to make profits because they are international businesses who are selling more of their product all the time.

I agree with you that there is no "Big Oil" conspiracy, that is just media brainwashing. The simple fact is if all the oil companies were doing this because of the election season, then why would Citgo do this as well. Hugo Chavez has influence over Citgo and he hates the Republicans. He could cut the supply and that would cause prices to jump.

I'm trying to stay independent in politics on this forum since I'm the moderator, at least for a while, so I'm going to avoid getting too deep into the political discussion.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-06-2006, 01:00 PM
Administrator

for what its worth, i get sams club gas, and i pay 10 cents a gallon less than most stores around here...
Old 09-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Are they also Murphy U.S.A.? Most of the people who claim that gouging is going on, claim that there is a much higher difference than $.10 per gallon. Also another thing to think about it is why gas is more expensive at these other stations. A few gas stations such as Royal Dutch Petroleum (Shell) have a lot more additives than other stations. This would increase the price over other places such as Sams Club. Here is a site that will explain about all of that. http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

In my area the biggest discount you'll get from Wal-Mart is $.05 per gallon by using their gift cards. Sure it adds up, but it isn't that much lower. Also remember that many of these stations will offer special frequent customer credit cards that they will offer a discount with so, that isn't unusual.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-06-2006, 10:58 PM

ORIGINAL: awsure

[Please...that's a conspiracy theory on "Big Oil" that I doubt you could offer one tangible fact to support. You really think oil companies have that much control on global supply and demand...c'mon? An equally dubious theory might be that OPEC will exert pressure by constricting output thereby putting Republicans in trouble and contributing to getting weak-on-defense liberals elected allowing more terrorist attacks due to a weakened military and ultimately raising oil prices through the roof. (All that on one breath...whew)

Fact is....
Perhaps you are right, maybe I am just blowing smoke. But I don't trust big business and I don’t believe in coincidences. In 2005-06 we have seen oil prices, stock value, and profits increase drastically. I am not saying that OPEC, the war, hurricane Katrina, and normal fuel consumption patterns did not play a role; they were the crux of fuel costs for that time. And yet big oil still made profits in the billions, and Exxon gave their former CEO Lee Raymond a nearly $400 million dollar retirement package, including pension, stock options and other perks, such as a $1 million consulting deal, two years of home security, personal security, a car and driver, and use of a corporate jet for professional purposes. This was so controversial, many in and out of political office cried for legal action against them citing a blatant misuse of the free enterprise system. I understand that like all business, the objective is profit, but I do feel that the line in between big business and monopolies is seriously blurred.

Also I do understand the concept of supply and demand; people are consuming gas at a lower rate which lowers the price. In the summer, many travel, while in the fall and winter (not counting Thanksgiving and Christmas) people usually remain dormant resulting in less fuel consumption. Perhaps even daylight savings has something to do with; many people travel less in the dark for safety reasons. I apoglize if any of my statements came off as angry, mean spirited, or malicious. That was not my intention, nor was my intention to come off as Gene Hackman in Enemy of the State with conspiracy theories about big oil and the government. I honestly have problems with some of the policies of our government and businesses that reside in this country. The word Corporation does fit its definition: it is an entity, and that is hard to attribute qualities such as honesty, integrity, compassion, and equity which are, in my opinion, essential in business and life. But that is not the nature of the beast, profit is. And I think that these companies do what they have to do to make money, which may include inflated pricing and political partnerships.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:37 AM

Well, maybe with this new oil find in the Gulf of Mexico we will see the prices go down.

Also I don't think the Challenger will be short lived because of gas prices. If they make the MDS engine then definatley will not. Besided people who buyt the V8 pony cars don't care about the prices of gas. I didn't when I went and got my Mustang. I would have boyght another car like the Neon if that were the case. What will kill this car in the long haul will be price of the car itself.

Quick Reply: Will the Challenger be a short lived muscle car because of gasoline prices?