Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Challenger R/T (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/dodge-challenger-r-t-33/)
-   -   Average Mileage.. (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/dodge-challenger-r-t-33/average-mileage-6466/)

tattooed_pariah 04-24-2009 06:32 PM

Average Mileage..

Mods, please delete this post, the FNG just saw the pre-existing thread...

Hey,

Was just curious what everyone is getting on average for mileage?

the car my Challenger replaced was a '96 Chevy Craparo, and straight freeway, I'd get about 30 mpg, but to and from work everyday with traffic, i'd get about 19-22.

So far I've only had my Challenger since last friday and it seems straight freeway gives me about 30 or so, and I just topped off the tank today after going to and from work tues-fri and I only got 15mpg.

Some of that is me still getting used to it and giving it a little more gas than is necessary, and some of that is me just enjoying the extra power and giving it more than is necessary.

Don't get me wrong, I knew it was going to be a guzzler before I bought it, so I'm not complaining, just curious if I'm doing about average I guess..

18forever 05-15-2009 05:42 PM

My Milage

Recently took a long trip (1000 miles) and averaged 28 mpg with the cruise set at 80 mph most of the way. Just going to work and around town I'm getting between 20-22 mpg. Alot depends on how I drive it.

tattooed_pariah 05-18-2009 03:00 AM

So far it seems that on the rare occassions that I drive carefully and don't get stuck in traffic a lot, i seem to be getting between 21 and 25 mpg, but I get stuck in a LOT of stop and go traffic going to and from work, and I seem to have a problem with enjoying the ride :D so I'm averaging about 14-17 mpg...

Capt.Ron 05-18-2009 04:27 AM

Hmmmm I took a 340 mile trip at 75 mph with a head wind and got 21.8 mpg.
The return trip was the same speed but with a very strong tail wind and got 23.5 mpg. That 28 mpg number sounds flawed. Either that or my car needs some serious work!!:mad:

tattooed_pariah 05-18-2009 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Capt.Ron (Post 71145)
Hmmmm I took a 340 mile trip at 75 mph with a head wind and got 21.8 mpg.
The return trip was the same speed but with a very strong tail wind and got 23.5 mpg. That 28 mpg number sounds flawed. Either that or my car needs some serious work!!:mad:

I dunno, like i posted above, when I bought mine, I drove it from San Jose to San Diego (about 4 or 5 hundred miles) from 101 to 5 south at about 90 with cruise control on for the majority of it and I got about 30mpg the two times I filled it up..

Capt.Ron 05-18-2009 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by tattooed_pariah (Post 71146)
I dunno, like i posted above, when I bought mine, I drove it from San Jose to San Diego (about 4 or 5 hundred miles) from 101 to 5 south at about 90 with cruise control on for the majority of it and I got about 30mpg the two times I filled it up..

Driving an SE, RT, or SRT8?

tattooed_pariah 05-19-2009 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Capt.Ron (Post 71154)
Driving an SE, RT, or SRT8?

haha, well, my initial response was "I did post this in the "R/T" forum didn't I?" but then I remembered that while I have over 1,000 posts on Volksrods.com, I'm still an FNG here so I should probably be a little more polite for a while.. ;)

Yes, It's an R/T with the 6 spd manual. That 6th gear really makes a difference in long trips at a constant speed.. going from 75 in 5th at about 3300 RPMs or so, to 75 in 6th at about 2000 RPMs can save some gas..

Capt.Ron 05-19-2009 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by tattooed_pariah (Post 71159)
Yes, It's an R/T with the 6 spd manual. That 6th gear really makes a difference in long trips at a constant speed.. going from 75 in 5th at about 3300 RPMs or so, to 75 in 6th at about 2000 RPMs can save some gas..

Hmmmm well there is a lot to be said about getting those RPMs down to or below 2000. Every vehicle I've ever driven (especially my CTD Ram) improves greatly when below 2K.
What octane/brand fuel are you running?
Gasoline brands have never made much of a difference for me before the Challenger and the jury is still out as far as that goes right now.
Now my Cummins diesel is another story. If I run Walmart diesel my power and mileage drops quite a bit, but if I fill up at Love's it acts like it has a couple of extra cylinders and last longer too!!:cool:

tattooed_pariah 05-19-2009 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Capt.Ron (Post 71164)
Hmmmm well there is a lot to be said about getting those RPMs down to or below 2000. Every vehicle I've ever driven (especially my CTD Ram) improves greatly when below 2K.
Gasoline brands have never made much of a difference for me before the Challenger and the jury is still out as far as that goes right now.
Now my Cummins diesel is another story. If I run Walmart diesel my power and mileage drops quite a bit, but if I fill up at Love's it acts like it has a couple of extra cylinders and last longer too!!:cool:

I used to use Chevron exclusively, both my cars get premium (92 octane) cause my bug is running a 9.5:1 CR and the Challenger recommends it in the manual. Now a days though, I buy my gas on base cause it's usually about 10-15 cents cheaper than out in town. I have no idea what distributor the military gets their gas from.

09ChallengerRT 05-22-2009 04:34 PM

I use my challenger as my daily commuter and average 16 mpg all over town with very little freeway driving (less then 5 miles a day) and I am very liberal with the gas peddle lol. As for gas, the only thing that has ever been in my tank is Chevron supreme. As for my truck, whatever is the closest station :p

BobT 05-24-2009 10:30 AM

Round trip milage for R/T auto this weekend was 23.72 mpg
a bit worse to my destination(of 190 miles) 23.05 mpg but coming back I got like 24.38 or something like that. Not bad for the power and weight of the car. BTW , if I wanted better mileage I would have chose the v6. A supercharger tossed on one of those may me the answer for a Mileage concious Challenger owner. JMO,

tattooed_pariah 05-24-2009 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by BobT (Post 71230)
BTW , if I wanted better mileage I would have chose the v6.

I concur, I bought challenger cause I wanted a car I would be proud of, if I wanted great mileage, I wouldhave bought some import POS.

I intend on building a 2276cc with a turbo for my VW, that will probably get about 20mpg as well when the 1776cc that I have right now gets about 30mpg..

Again, building it for myself not as a "responsible adult" but as a man who wants a toy he enjoys and can be proud of :D

lear4406 05-26-2009 03:03 AM

26 on the open highway and 20 around town. R/T manual with spirited driving. 93 octane. Charlotte area.

18forever 06-06-2009 05:50 PM

Sorry been away awhile. Yes Capt Ron that 28MPG is a little flawed, the trip up was 27.6 and the trip back was 27.8. The temp both ways varied from 40 degrees to 26 degrees. I was running on 89 octane. I have CAI and Flow Master 40 series.

JJMPB 06-07-2009 03:24 AM

problem is the V6 doesn't really get that much better milage than the R/T does

70bee 06-07-2009 08:47 AM

Average Mileage

drove 1028 miles on vacation averaged 25.3 total went to yellowstone and and three different towns ,so a lot of slow driving and a lot of stop and go , i think the fuel milage is awsome considering it's a 4100 lbs car with 375 hp and a hemi!!!!!!
i love this car ! I know a lot of people went to the hospital with sore necks !!!!! this baby turns a lot of heads.

tattooed_pariah 06-07-2009 10:41 PM

I just spent a month underway, so this weekend is my first time driving it since May, and I think right now i'm getting about 15mpg... but that's only because I am having WAAAAAAAAYY too much fun with it... and head turner is right! Can't go more than a block or so without seeing someone twisting around looking at it :D

Rench 06-17-2009 09:37 AM

Just finished a drive from Chicago to Ft Laudeddale and back. Overall, about 22-23 Mpg, not really getting below 80 mph most of the way, with occasional downshifts to 4th and speed hitting the triple digits. Best single tank was 27 Mpg from Chatanooga to southern Indiana on the way back. Mines a stick btw.

-Rench

Ky_6spd_rt 08-08-2009 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Capt.Ron (Post 71164)

Capt Ron, "conservatively" speaking I can average 23-24, small highway , maybe 25 Interstate. I believe the 6 speeds get a little better gas milage. Really ticks me off when anyone refers to a Challenger as a "gas guzzler" GRRRRRRRRR

Axel 08-10-2009 12:09 PM

The only one that is referred to as a gas guzzler is the 6.1L. Thakfully. I feel for the people that have to pay for that tax.

darrello 08-12-2009 07:54 AM

Man maybe the brand of gas does make a difference! I'm only getting 13.8 city driving and taking it easy. Only tested it once or twice, just to see what she could do, and was very pleased. Guess I'll try a tank or two of Chevron or 76 and see what happens. Been using Wally world stuff half and half. From what I've seen though, the tankers all get their loads at the same refin/tank farm. See all the brands rolling out of there at one time or another.

1analguy 09-23-2009 05:47 PM

'09 R/T 6-speed with 20s/3.92s, BP/Amaco 93 exclusively. At 2000 miles, took car on 1800-mile Lake Superior "great circle tour". Several hundred miles at 55 mph gave 28.4 mpg (and slowly climbing). Over-all mpg for the entire trip: 26.9. Around town: 22. 18-mile work commute (2/3 city, 1/3 county highway): 25. Mind you, all of this (except for the 6th-gear, straight highway stuff) is while driving for fuel economy...consisting of gear skipping, short shifting, and lots of coasting.

I work in the plant where the 3.5L V6 is produced and it is a terrific engine, but I only drive manuals so I was forced into an R/T. It didn't bother me much as I also wanted all the goodies and couldn't have gotten them with the V6 anyway. I'm very satisfied with the car overall, and the mileage in particular.

MoparJoe 09-24-2009 05:39 AM

Does Mopar have short shifter ?

:confused: I was wondering does Mopar have a short shifter that will not void the warranty on the car ?

1analguy 11-15-2009 08:32 PM

By "short shifting", I meant shifting up while the engine's revs were still fairly low...