Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

Average Mileage..

Old 04-24-2009, 06:32 PM

Location: I have moved to Challengertalk.com as a direct result of this site not being able to handle security
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Average Mileage..

Mods, please delete this post, the FNG just saw the pre-existing thread...

Hey,

Was just curious what everyone is getting on average for mileage?

the car my Challenger replaced was a '96 Chevy Craparo, and straight freeway, I'd get about 30 mpg, but to and from work everyday with traffic, i'd get about 19-22.

So far I've only had my Challenger since last friday and it seems straight freeway gives me about 30 or so, and I just topped off the tank today after going to and from work tues-fri and I only got 15mpg.

Some of that is me still getting used to it and giving it a little more gas than is necessary, and some of that is me just enjoying the extra power and giving it more than is necessary.

Don't get me wrong, I knew it was going to be a guzzler before I bought it, so I'm not complaining, just curious if I'm doing about average I guess..

Last edited by tattooed_pariah; 04-24-2009 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Delete duplicate..
Old 05-15-2009, 05:42 PM

Default My Milage

Recently took a long trip (1000 miles) and averaged 28 mpg with the cruise set at 80 mph most of the way. Just going to work and around town I'm getting between 20-22 mpg. Alot depends on how I drive it.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:00 AM

Location: I have moved to Challengertalk.com as a direct result of this site not being able to handle security

So far it seems that on the rare occassions that I drive carefully and don't get stuck in traffic a lot, i seem to be getting between 21 and 25 mpg, but I get stuck in a LOT of stop and go traffic going to and from work, and I seem to have a problem with enjoying the ride so I'm averaging about 14-17 mpg...
Old 05-18-2009, 04:27 AM

Hmmmm I took a 340 mile trip at 75 mph with a head wind and got 21.8 mpg.
The return trip was the same speed but with a very strong tail wind and got 23.5 mpg. That 28 mpg number sounds flawed. Either that or my car needs some serious work!!
Old 05-18-2009, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Capt.Ron
Hmmmm I took a 340 mile trip at 75 mph with a head wind and got 21.8 mpg.
The return trip was the same speed but with a very strong tail wind and got 23.5 mpg. That 28 mpg number sounds flawed. Either that or my car needs some serious work!!

I dunno, like i posted above, when I bought mine, I drove it from San Jose to San Diego (about 4 or 5 hundred miles) from 101 to 5 south at about 90 with cruise control on for the majority of it and I got about 30mpg the two times I filled it up..
Old 05-18-2009, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by tattooed_pariah
I dunno, like i posted above, when I bought mine, I drove it from San Jose to San Diego (about 4 or 5 hundred miles) from 101 to 5 south at about 90 with cruise control on for the majority of it and I got about 30mpg the two times I filled it up..
Driving an SE, RT, or SRT8?
Old 05-19-2009, 05:27 AM

Driving an SE, RT, or SRT8?

haha, well, my initial response was "I did post this in the "R/T" forum didn't I?" but then I remembered that while I have over 1,000 posts on Volksrods.com, I'm still an FNG here so I should probably be a little more polite for a while..

Yes, It's an R/T with the 6 spd manual. That 6th gear really makes a difference in long trips at a constant speed.. going from 75 in 5th at about 3300 RPMs or so, to 75 in 6th at about 2000 RPMs can save some gas..
Old 05-19-2009, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by tattooed_pariah
Yes, It's an R/T with the 6 spd manual. That 6th gear really makes a difference in long trips at a constant speed.. going from 75 in 5th at about 3300 RPMs or so, to 75 in 6th at about 2000 RPMs can save some gas..
Hmmmm well there is a lot to be said about getting those RPMs down to or below 2000. Every vehicle I've ever driven (especially my CTD Ram) improves greatly when below 2K.
What octane/brand fuel are you running?
Gasoline brands have never made much of a difference for me before the Challenger and the jury is still out as far as that goes right now.
Now my Cummins diesel is another story. If I run Walmart diesel my power and mileage drops quite a bit, but if I fill up at Love's it acts like it has a couple of extra cylinders and last longer too!!
Old 05-19-2009, 04:26 PM

Hmmmm well there is a lot to be said about getting those RPMs down to or below 2000. Every vehicle I've ever driven (especially my CTD Ram) improves greatly when below 2K.
What octane/brand fuel are you running?
Gasoline brands have never made much of a difference for me before the Challenger and the jury is still out as far as that goes right now.
Now my Cummins diesel is another story. If I run Walmart diesel my power and mileage drops quite a bit, but if I fill up at Love's it acts like it has a couple of extra cylinders and last longer too!!

I used to use Chevron exclusively, both my cars get premium (92 octane) cause my bug is running a 9.5:1 CR and the Challenger recommends it in the manual. Now a days though, I buy my gas on base cause it's usually about 10-15 cents cheaper than out in town. I have no idea what distributor the military gets their gas from.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:34 PM

I use my challenger as my daily commuter and average 16 mpg all over town with very little freeway driving (less then 5 miles a day) and I am very liberal with the gas peddle lol. As for gas, the only thing that has ever been in my tank is Chevron supreme. As for my truck, whatever is the closest station

Quick Reply: Average Mileage..