Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Challenger R/T (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/dodge-challenger-r-t-33/)
-   -   The Ford 4.6 was to much for the 5.7 HEMI N/A (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/dodge-challenger-r-t-33/ford-4-6-much-5-7-hemi-n-6405/)

germansheperd 04-11-2009 12:49 PM

The Ford 4.6 was to much for the 5.7 HEMI N/A

I brought what I said Id bring and I did what I said Id do!
This is how it went down:

Mustang Challenger
RT-.0985 .1191
60'-1.75 1.79
330'-7.32 7.53
1/8-7.82@88.85 8.05@86.22
1000'-10.23 10.51
1/4-12.27@110.07 12.58@108.54

Tree'd,ET'd,60'd,MPH'd-All the marbles boys and girls.
On a serious note it was great to meet Tony and his GF,they are great people (everyone there was good folks) I have to tell you Tony is an exp'd racer and knows his way around a car and track (that is the hardest running Challenger ive ever seen Rt or SRT for that matter),id hate to have to bracket race him for points becuase anybody going up against him would have their hands full.It was a great day and look forward to seeing Tony at the track in the future.......videos and the rest of the story will be provided by 10second im sure in a bit!

bigdaddywiz 04-11-2009 05:17 PM

as much as i dont like the outcome...i will be the first to say congrats on the win man. you backed up your words!

10secDodge 04-11-2009 06:00 PM

I sort of expected it to be this way. I didn't figure he would drive all the way to Thompson to get beat. He has a nice, good running car. Actually it was a good race...only separated by 3 tenths. If I had been on the tree it would have been closer at the stripe.

I am still working on my car....so we will have more than one rematch I am sure.

But Kudos to Ted for his win!!

germansheperd 04-11-2009 06:28 PM

I see it like this-met another car guy thats passionate about racing,passed a Saturday at a dragstrip,had some fun,seen some nice cars,roadtrip listening to a V8 through headers-that my friends is the REAL WIN. Truth of the matter is I didnt want to go this morning when the other strip closed. I split my thumb open on an automatic shotgun yesterday,my arthritis in my leg was killing me,tired,cold out,and the drive BUT.....I said id go and do this so I did.

P.S. Im sure we will run again......maybe if im LUCKY im might find a lil more in the bag for the lil 4.6!

brentmannrt09 04-11-2009 07:07 PM

Congrats man It was close! You got a bad running lil Ford there! Care to share your set up now?

lear4406 04-12-2009 02:52 AM

Congrats to the german. but 10sec did just what he said he would do 12.5. Its nice to know what the other guy runs before you actually run. So enlighten us on this 4.6 with just a tune, intake and exhaust. This is the same way we did it on the street... racers edge. But you will have to admit 5.7 to 4.6 the mighty Hemi is putting down some ponies. And that "is" with a tune, intake (sorta) and exhaust. Nice fun for all and we look forward to the rematch.

Riptide 04-12-2009 09:18 AM

Glad you guys had fun. Wish I lived at a lower elevation near some other tracks. Would love to have you show me how to drive. ;)

Shepherd let me get this straight. As far as mods, you have the C&L intake/ARH headers/and a tune? And that's it? What was the DA that day? Because low 12's is pretty much a phenomenon with just those mods.

germansheperd 04-12-2009 09:41 AM

I use Zmax in my engine to run those times. Carroll Shelby endorses it and he wouldnt say to use it if it didnt work!

Riptide 04-12-2009 09:46 AM

LOL this stuff? Good joke. ;)
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/02/zmax1.shtm

C'mon man what else you got on that car? I'm not calling you a liar but low 12's is pretty amazing in a GT with just headers, intake, and tune. Still on stock tires?

germansheperd 04-12-2009 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Riptide (Post 70167)
LOL this stuff? Good joke. ;)
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/02/zmax1.shtm

C'mon man what else you got on that car? I'm not calling you a liar but low 12's is pretty amazing in a GT with just headers, intake, and tune. Still on stock tires?

M/T P295/45-17 Drag Radials

10secDodge 04-12-2009 10:21 AM

As German put it "he has a few tricks up his sleeve". LOL. Obviously there's a little more there...but you cant expect everyone to give up all their secrets.

Riptide 04-12-2009 03:45 PM

I wouldn't fib.

germansheperd 04-12-2009 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by 10secDodge (Post 70169)
As German put it "he has a few tricks up his sleeve". LOL. Obviously there's a little more there...but you cant expect everyone to give up all their secrets.

Honestly I was hoping for better than what my car ran but I think both cars did good considering it was my first time out this year and Im guessing your second? Im sure both will pick up a lil once we get them dialed in a bit more.

10secDodge 04-12-2009 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by germansheperd (Post 70180)
Honestly I was hoping for better than what my car ran but I think both cars did good considering it was my first time out this year and Im guessing your second? Im sure both will pick up a lil once we get them dialed in a bit more.

I am pretty much max'd out with what's on my car. Actually I think everyone would agree it is an over-acheiver. With that being said, my next upgrades will involve a converter and posi rear. Then as soon as the cam's come available for these motors I am changing out that too. I already have a deal going with a cam/head on a sponsor sort of deal. They are so impressed with the RT's performance they want to get their head and cam in my motor since they know I race every week and post about it on several forums. I can't tell who it is yet, but as soon as I get it installed there will be a full writeup with actual track data showing the difference.

I am sure if we were not running into the headwind you would have been close to the 11's. Looking at my slip from this week compared to last I should have been a high 12.30/low 12.40 based on what I picked up on the 60 and 330 foot marks.

It is shaping up to be a fun, action packed summer and I will be sure to let you know when I am heading over to 42. I had a good time even though I lost. I think you know it is all about bracket racing for me anyhow.

I bet you had the Mustang guys watching you in the street car lanes. Most of them were running high 13's and 14's.

germansheperd 04-12-2009 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by 10secDodge (Post 70181)
I am pretty much max'd out with what's on my car. Actually I think everyone would agree it is an over-acheiver. With that being said, my next upgrades will involve a converter and posi rear. Then as soon as the cam's come available for these motors I am changing out that too. I already have a deal going with a cam/head on a sponsor sort of deal. They are so impressed with the RT's performance they want to get their head and cam in my motor since they know I race every week and post about it on several forums. I can't tell who it is yet, but as soon as I get it installed there will be a full writeup with actual track data showing the difference.

I am sure if we were not running into the headwind you would have been close to the 11's. Looking at my slip from this week compared to last I should have been a high 12.30/low 12.40 based on what I picked up on the 60 and 330 foot marks.

It is shaping up to be a fun, action packed summer and I will be sure to let you know when I am heading over to 42. I had a good time even though I lost. I think you know it is all about bracket racing for me anyhow.

I bet you had the Mustang guys watching you in the street car lanes. Most of them were running high 13's and 14's.

I think a converter,cam,posi,longtubes (if you dont have them),and heads the R/T will be seeing 11's N/A, I might get there but im suffering from a lack of displacement,281 cubes just isnt alot to work with and I might build a shortblock next winter.I dont know if you have a head sponsor or youd have to pay but I can recommend an excellent crew to do your heads if you have to pay (ask me how id know!).

Like I was telling you in the pits I honestly thought Id see a 12.3x-.4x out of your car, that was the number I was expecting you to pull and at that point even if my car ran a 12-teen its all on the tree then. We just didnt have track conditions in out favor-Lousy starting line (I thought so anyways) and racing into hurricane Katrina (watch the burnout in the video).

Yeah there were a couple Mustang guys trying to figure out what makes my car "tick". Nice guys but dont have a clue-esp that older guy and his crony. They want pointers,ask and then when you tell tell them they dont want to hear it-oh well

bigdaddywiz 04-13-2009 05:30 AM

he sheperd, do you live in ohio or pa? i'm in pa and the tracks you guys were talkin about arent too far of a drive for me. i'd like to come out to run myself and watch you guys go at it. i'm from pittsburgh.

also, i'd like to apologize for any harsh words and childish posts i may have thrown at ya in the last week. after seein your posts now after the "big race", i realize that you'r not the "punk kid" that i had thought you to be. so just wanted set that straight...

and 10second.., i think you've mentioned to me before that you do live in OH? Right?

10secDodge 04-13-2009 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by bigdaddywiz (Post 70197)
he sheperd, do you live in ohio or pa? i'm in pa and the tracks you guys were talkin about arent too far of a drive for me. i'd like to come out to run myself and watch you guys go at it. i'm from pittsburgh.

also, i'd like to apologize for any harsh words and childish posts i may have thrown at ya in the last week. after seein your posts now after the "big race", i realize that you'r not the "punk kid" that i had thought you to be. so just wanted set that straight...

and 10second.., i think you've mentioned to me before that you do live in OH? Right?

I gotta tell you...germansheperd is a good guy that was just yanking our chain for some fun. We hung out the whole day at the track and I could tell we were both good sports and it would have been the same regardless of the race outcome. I look forward to racing with him more this summer. Whenever you have a fellow car nut meeting you at the track it adds to the fun. I bet this is one of the first times an internet keyboard race between two strangers actually went down.

I live about 25 miles East of Youngstown. So I am about 1.5 hours away from you. Dragway 42 (Germansheperd lives 7 miles from there) is another 45 miles or so from my house. But for me it's all highway driving. Thompson is about 45 miles for me also. You should come over some time and we can hook up at the track for some racing and grilling out. The tracks over here are very acommodating to the average Joe racer.

FYI.....I am trying to get a converter in by next weekend.

10secDodge 04-13-2009 07:47 AM

Hey guys....we have some lurkers posting over on the Mustang forums about us now. They are not slamming us or anyting, but it seems no one believes my RT ran 12.58 on the motor (and 11.79) with 100 horse shot. The funny thing is many people locally has seen my car and I welcome anyone to inspect it since I am at the track every week.

Germansheperd....you need to go over there and tell them you seen my car and can vouch for what it is. Also....they have some questions for you on your car. I tried to post but apparently I dont have privledges for that. Also....guys, I posted videos on youtube of my challenger running 12.58 on the motor from last week and 11.81 from this past week on 100 horse shot.

Videos:
1st race na/na
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=CLIP0026.flv

2nd race me spraying 100 ZEX 30' out
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=CLIP0032.flv

Me running solo spraying 100 ZEX 30' out.

http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=65c3f157.pbr

lear4406 04-13-2009 08:35 AM

If you had little car knowledge and went to their Forums... you would disbelieve it too. They connot believe a car that weighs 6000 lbs could turn those times. I have seen our weight thrown out there as a reason to not buy a Challenger on the Mustang Forums and Camaro Forums. Now the Mustang has a right to brag about their light self. But the Camaro at 300 lbs less is a slap to the face. The Hemi is the equalizer. Your times prove that this car is a good package and with a few mods you can be in the mid 12s. That is major mods for GT guys or time to go to FI. Which the General is now into on a stock basis. Wow, lets just supercharge it and leave so much more on the table. I do like Dodge for keeping it NA and letting the tuners and individuals make that choice.

germansheperd 04-13-2009 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by bigdaddywiz (Post 70197)

I live in Ohio and dont worry about it im pretty thick skinned, this was all for fun and games-maybe a few laughs too,sometimes we all act like kids. LOL I dont know when I'll head back up to Thompson but either Tony or myself will tell you next time I head up-its a trip for me (92 miles each way) and if I didnt commit to running him I wouldve stayed home when my local track closed.

germansheperd 04-13-2009 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by 10secDodge (Post 70207)
Hey guys....we have some lurkers posting over on the Mustang forums about us now. They are not slamming us or anyting, but it seems no one believes my RT ran 12.58 on the motor (and 11.79) with 100 horse shot. The funny thing is many people locally has seen my car and I welcome anyone to inspect it since I am at the track every week.

Germansheperd....you need to go over there and tell them you seen my car and can vouch for what it is. Also....they have some questions for you on your car. I tried to post but apparently I dont have privledges for that. Also....guys, I posted videos on youtube of my challenger running 12.58 on the motor from last week and 11.81 from this past week on 100 horse shot.

Videos:
1st race na/na
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=CLIP0026.flv

2nd race me spraying 100 ZEX 30' out
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=CLIP0032.flv

Me running solo spraying 100 ZEX 30' out.

http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=65c3f157.pbr

Do you know which website? Chances are I may be a member.

10secDodge 04-13-2009 09:00 AM

The site is www.mustangforums.com

By the way...you screwed me over. My girlfriend now wants "a little red car like that guy I raced". LOL....I told her to drive her Jeep and be quiet (I just bought it for her).

10secDodge 04-13-2009 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by germansheperd (Post 70186)
I think a converter,cam,posi,longtubes (if you dont have them),and heads the R/T will be seeing 11's N/A, I might get there but im suffering from a lack of displacement,281 cubes just isnt alot to work with and I might build a shortblock next winter.I dont know if you have a head sponsor or youd have to pay but I can recommend an excellent crew to do your heads if you have to pay (ask me how id know!).

I just caught this. PM me your head guy. Like I mentioned at the track I am waiting on the cam cores to come out with my guy. So far since the new 5.7's have variable cam timing no-one makes the billet cores yet. But the heads they have and are just waiting on the cam. So the story goes, they want to do a head swap with me, and hook me up with a cam and have me tell all about the difference and spread the word in this area via the net and track. Obviously this are is pretty big for racing.

germansheperd 04-13-2009 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by 10secDodge (Post 70211)

By the way...you screwed me over. My girlfriend now wants "a little red car like that guy I raced". LOL....I told her to drive her Jeep and be quiet (I just bought it for her).

Whoops sorry about that bro! I try to stay out the domestic stuff.

germansheperd 04-13-2009 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by 10secDodge (Post 70211)

Been along time since ive been over there-pretty big website, do you know what section/where its posted in?

10secDodge 04-13-2009 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by germansheperd (Post 70215)
Been along time since ive been over there-pretty big website, do you know what section/where its posted in?

Yes...it's in the stret/strip section (racers bench) titled " S197 goes 12.2......). It is not a flame read....just one questioning our performance.

germansheperd 04-13-2009 12:12 PM

I tried to post of there and it wont let me either i got the same warning-oh well.

Riptide 04-13-2009 01:43 PM

http://mustangforums.com/forum/the-r...aust-only.html
That is the thread 10Sec is talking about.

Regarding the disbelief over there with his previous stock run - the skepticism came in due to this:
http://mustangforums.com/forum/6112795-post26.html

Not sure but maybe you need a certain amount of posts over there before you can get into that subforum and do more than just read. I'm not sure I have over 2000. lol

10secDodge 04-13-2009 02:01 PM

Hey rip....for what it is worth, I ran the 13.12 at Dragway 42. I think the 1/8th mile mph timers are off at 42 because at Thompson is shows I am running 86 in the 1/8th on the motor and 92 ~ 93 on the 100 horse spray.

Also...before anyone swears I was spraying on the NA to NA run, germansheperd looked my car over. The bottle was not in my car when we ran. Thanks for posting that over there...they would not let me in. LOL.

Ridge Runner 04-13-2009 05:39 PM

Don,t any of you guys run at Quaker City.That is my home track,and one of the best in this side of the country.

10secDodge 04-13-2009 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 70227)
Don,t any of you guys run at Quaker City.That is my home track,and one of the best in this side of the country.

I ran Quaker points last year in my green Demon until I got sick and had to sit out the year. I raced the first 4 point events in footbrake (was 3rd after 4 events). I only live about 25 miles from there (Ravenna). I just hate the way they run the track. It is super nice, but they just can't seem to get cars down the track. Lots of sitting around doing nothing. My girl wont ever go when I race there. That's why I go the the S--t hole 42 and Thompson.

germansheperd 04-13-2009 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by 10secDodge (Post 70222)
Hey rip....for what it is worth, I ran the 13.12 at Dragway 42. I think the 1/8th mile mph timers are off at 42 because at Thompson is shows I am running 86 in the 1/8th on the motor and 92 ~ 93 on the 100 horse spray.

Also...before anyone swears I was spraying on the NA to NA run, germansheperd looked my car over. The bottle was not in my car when we ran. Thanks for posting that over there...they would not let me in. LOL.

There was no spray used on my car or 10sec car for the N/A runs, not that anybody was calling BS but I looked over his car prior,in the trunk and I know he scoped out my motor and I opened up the trunk even tho there are no nitrous lines plumbed on my car for him to look at- so win,lose,or draw nobody could bitch. They were true legit 12.58 and 12.27 N/A runs. I realize whatever the brand we both have good running machines and Im confident we are both above average drivers. Im sure Tony could take someone elses Challenger and in a short amount of time have it running faster than the owner and most likely I probably could do the same with a Mustang. Sure both cars are tweaked a bit but there is a bigger picture with the owners and drivers-not saying that someone else couldnt do the same or better even. This might have been my first pass of 2009 but I assure you it wasnt my first time down the 1320 or the YEARS i spent street racing,or the help ive had with very good people.

Mullit 04-13-2009 09:54 PM

well congrats you have proved me wrong in several aspects, you know your car well, no one can take that away from you.

Ridge Runner 04-14-2009 06:14 AM

Did any of you ever go to Bobby John,s Friendship Park Raceway? I was there a few times,he gave it up,then some other guy took it over and called it Steel Valley Raceway I think.I think it never opened up in 08,don,t know about this year.It was a 1/8 mile.

10secDodge 04-14-2009 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 70251)
Did any of you ever go to Bobby John,s Friendship Park Raceway? I was there a few times,he gave it up,then some other guy took it over and called it Steel Valley Raceway I think.I think it never opened up in 08,don,t know about this year.It was a 1/8 mile.

I have heard of it, but never been there.

germansheperd 04-15-2009 07:15 AM

Wow Tony that Mustangforum thread is going wild over there! What should we do next? LOL!

10secDodge 04-15-2009 08:42 AM

LOL...I have been watching it too. Seems like we are getting a few more suspecting people. Oh well, I will be at dragway 42 Saturday. Maybe I can "bend physics and defy gravity" again and possibly get a 12.3 or 12.4 out of mine on the motor.
I also will be available for inspections as needed. LOL.

bigdaddywiz 04-15-2009 09:58 AM

what forums are you guys stirrin up?

Riptide 04-15-2009 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by germansheperd (Post 70291)
Wow Tony that Mustangforum thread is going wild over there! What should we do next? LOL!

Register and post? You in particular since you actually, you know, DRIVE a mustang. ;)

10secDodge 04-15-2009 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Riptide (Post 70298)
Register and post? You in particular since you actually, you know, DRIVE a mustang. ;)

Mustangforums.com

Rip...what is the deal on that site? I registered and posted under the newbie section, but it wont allow me to post in the racers section.
I think it is crazy how worked up a couple of the guys over there get over the performance numbers...particuarly my RT stock. There has since been several guys run 13.20's without pulling the air filter....but it always comes back to me "hiding something". I wish the main group over there lived closer so we could hit the track together.