Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

Handling at high speed

Old 01-11-2009, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Handling at high speed

You guys too. It's all good. I feel fine really, except for the normal aches and pains that go along with age.

I just got through washing my Challenger and put ger in the garage. Now its starting to rain. Finished just in time, now if I can get the roads to dry.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:51 PM

In case it hasn't been said, "THANK YOU for your service to your country."

It really does choke me up when I think about the ultimate sacrifice(s) military people make. Regardless of why you join, fact is, you do the job and protect what America is all about. I am against the bail out but if Congress had said the money was for taking better care of people like you they would have had my vote.

And military who buy Challenger are extra special!!
Old 01-11-2009, 02:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine handles like a dream at 150 MPH... just ask the guy in the yellow GTO that tried to get around I drive my 71 and there is no comparison. At 120 MPH it starts to float and handles badly. But this 6-speed R/T is a dream to drive. And as stable at 150 as at 70-80. But the road was smooth and no traffic for miles. Oh yeah it was on a closed course Also I filled it up just before going home and drove only I85 back to NC. As soon as I exited the highway I filled up and checked the mileage...26 MPG I was floored and double checked. Yep 26 MPG. I kept it between 70 and 80 all the way home and the RPMs were never over 2000 RPMs. I am so proud of this R/T, it does everything great. And the attention is embarassing.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:28 PM

My R/T is the best car I've ever driven, by far. It rides smoother than my wife's Pacifica. I was driving on the interstate the other day and looked down at the speedo...95mph....felt like I was driving 65, no problems and totally stable, not bad on the 18in rims and Michelin tires
Old 01-24-2009, 08:55 AM

What type of Michelin tire's do you have. I have the Good Year RSA 245/45/20 on my R/T . Thinking of going to the Michelin Primacy MXV4 in that size. The 20's limit my choice for a all season tire . I traded my Mazda MX-5 GT and Ram Quad Cab 4x4 in on the Challenger. So I have to drive it all year round here in Kentucky where we do get ice and snow. I'm retired . So if it is really bad the car will stay in the garage.
ORIGINAL: AF Pilot

My R/T is the best car I've ever driven, by far. It rides smoother than my wife's Pacifica. I was driving on the interstate the other day and looked down at the speedo...95mph....felt like I was driving 65, no problems and totally stable, not bad on the 18in rims and Michelin tires
Old 01-24-2009, 02:02 PM

Bkchallenger:

I've got the Michelin MXM4 Pilots on it....no problems so far. My 04 Jetta and 08 Pacifica also have those tires. I've taken my Chally out in some of the back roads at the AF base I'm stationed at and they grip pretty good wet or dry.

Sorry to hear about all the agent orange complications, I've got an uncle that got exposed to that stuff too in Nam and he also has diabetes and high blood pressure. And yes, we are exposed to some strange stuff today....depleted uranium...lots and lots of electromagnetic radiation. I fly one of the large radar surveillance planes and you wouldn't believe the number of guys that get testicular and skin cancer...it's crazy. I almost didn't make it back from a combat mission recently....we went to zero visibility about 30ft off the runway on landing (I wasn't at the controls) and we hit the runway pretty hard....damn near flung the engine pods off.....screwed my back up pretty good, nerve damage which has caused permanent tingling and muscle weakness in my left leg....my flying days are over because of it.....war is dangerous business, but we are the lucky ones because many don't come home
Old 01-30-2009, 11:00 AM

Living in Germany working for the Army I drive 106 Miles one way to work with about 90 of them on the Auto bond. I drive my RT at average speed of around 80 to 90 MPH. I have been up to 140 MPH, which is as fast as the factory governor will let you go in a RT and handling was still as if I was at 80. I have driven many of the European BMW, Mercedes and Audi’s and you can only get this type of handling with the cars that start at $80,000. Lear4406 how did you get yours to 150 MPH, have you found a chip that will bypass the governor? I know the car can do it without a problem, I shift into 5th gear at 140.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:52 PM

Didn't know they had the speed limited . My car drive's better after I rotated the tires for some reason. I rotated at 5000 miles. have 5500 mile on it now. And by the way Thank all that have served our Country past and present. I live near Fort Knox and see soldiers often . As I did this morning when had my R/T in for oil and filter change at local Dodge dealer and was talking to a soldier that was in the lounge. We both had been to several bases such as Fort Knox, Fort Polk and Fort Benning . Just different generation's.
ORIGINAL: DragonRT

Living in Germany working for the Army I drive 106 Miles one way to work with about 90 of them on the Auto bond. I drive my RT at average speed of around 80 to 90 MPH. I have been up to 140 MPH, which is as fast as the factory governor will let you go in a RT and handling was still as if I was at 80. I have driven many of the European BMW, Mercedes and Audi’s and you can only get this type of handling with the cars that start at $80,000. Lear4406 how did you get yours to 150 MPH, have you found a chip that will bypass the governor? I know the car can do it without a problem, I shift into 5th gear at 140.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:47 PM

Dragon,

The srt top speed is 174.4 mph, they do not have a governor oor speed limiting device on them.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:54 AM

I know the SRT did not have a governor, but was not able to find any info on the RT before I got mine. I think it is a little bit too hard in the states to really find out how fast your car is without the blue lights.
I picked up the first RT that came to Europe on 16 Dec 08 at the port. I hope to find a crack for the governor, and see just how fast a RT will go.

Quick Reply: Handling at high speed