Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

R/T Possible purchase

Old 01-18-2009, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R/T Possible purchase

Hey all, new member here and I have never owned a dodge. Driven some wiked Vipers in the past but that's not why I am posting. I am looking at getting a new Challenger for my wife. She is taken by the car. My question is is the SRT-8 worth it for her? I mean if we want to go fast my 2007 turbocharged Mustang does a great job of that.

My other question is: Is there enough aftermarket support to make the R/T fast anyway and save the 10k off the SRT-8?

Thanks for the time and I look forward to posting here. I am test driving an R/T tomorrow afternoon.

Dave
Old 01-18-2009, 04:18 PM

Default RE: R/T Possible purchase

I have a 09 R/T 6 speed , 20 inch tires with 3.92 pos. I love it . Depend's on if she likes a manual trans. I drove a automatic R/T . Felt just like my Chrysler 300C with the MDS Hemi . The manual trans car has the new VVT Hemi that only run's on 8 all the time but get's better gas mpg than the MDS engine . The manual trans car also get's a high flow exhaust that sounds great. I didn't drive a SRT . The dealers wouldn't let you drive till you purchased it . The SRT engine is for sure more perf . built . I may try one out yet. It's only money if you have it. But the R/T is a bargan I think . Depends on how much power you want . If I was going with a automatic I'd spend the money for the SRT . I was wrong about the automatic Challenger . The new 5.7 in the Challenger is VVT with MDS with the automatic . And VVT that run's on 8 all the time in the 6 speed. But the exhaust is different on the 6 speed. And sounds off more.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:36 PM

If money wasn't the object I would say SRT for sure.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:40 PM

I answer this question this way. It would cost you WAY more than $10k to turn an R/T into an SRT8 so consider all the extras a bargain. You sound like a guy who likes to mod his rides. Me too and I have finally learned my leasson. I've tried to turn a '67 GTA into a Shelby and then a Super Snake and spent WAY TOO MUCH MONEY. Could have just bought an original Shelby GT500. If I had just bought a 911 C4 I would have saved money over buying the C2 and modding it. Don't get me started about the '02 RAM Sport that desprately wants to become an SRT10 Ram. The list of mods on that thing will make you cry. Go for the SRT8, my friend... unless you think the wife will leave you when you start to drive HER Challenger too much...
Old 01-18-2009, 05:10 PM

Get an R/T and save some money Just my 2 cents. I could have bought either-I wanted an R/T but then I'm into the retro theme heavy
Old 01-18-2009, 05:14 PM

I forgot I did drive a new 300 with the 6.1 Hemi with the SRT package. The manager drove it and then they put it up for sale. I wanted a new one but they couldn't find a black one . So I decided to wait for the Challenger . Then the gas went up . And I went with the 5.7 Hemi. The 6.1 did have more power.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:27 PM
caj

See below
Old 01-18-2009, 05:28 PM
caj

ORIGINAL: BkChallenger09R/T

I have a 09 R/T 6 speed , 20 inch tires with 3.92 pos. I love it . Depend's on if she likes a manual trans. I drove a automatic R/T . Felt just like my Chrysler 300C with the MDS Hemi . The manual trans car has the new VVT Hemi that only run's on 8 all the time but get's better gas mpg than the MDS engine . The manual trans car also get's a high flow exhaust that sounds great. I didn't drive a SRT . The dealers wouldn't let you drive till you purchased it . The SRT engine is for sure more perf . built . I may try one out yet. It's only money if you have it. But the R/T is a bargan I think . Depends on how much power you want . If I was going with a automatic I'd spend the money for the SRT .

Believe me....the auto is absolutely no slouch. It also has the new VVT Hemi engine but with MDS.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:19 PM

Thanks for correcting me on that . I got the 09 Broucher out and sure enough it show's VVT with MDS on the automatic . Guess I didn't look at it close enough . I was told by the saleman that sold my 6 speed to me that it was MDS . But then learned it wasn't. I read a story about the new Hemi with VVT on the internet some place. And the way it read was you had the new VVT Hemi and the older version of MDS . Any way I was wrong and Thanks for setting me straight.
ORIGINAL: caj

ORIGINAL: BkChallenger09R/T

I have a 09 R/T 6 speed , 20 inch tires with 3.92 pos. I love it . Depend's on if she likes a manual trans. I drove a automatic R/T . Felt just like my Chrysler 300C with the MDS Hemi . The manual trans car has the new VVT Hemi that only run's on 8 all the time but get's better gas mpg than the MDS engine . The manual trans car also get's a high flow exhaust that sounds great. I didn't drive a SRT . The dealers wouldn't let you drive till you purchased it . The SRT engine is for sure more perf . built . I may try one out yet. It's only money if you have it. But the R/T is a bargan I think . Depends on how much power you want . If I was going with a automatic I'd spend the money for the SRT .

Believe me....the auto is absolutely no slouch. It also has the new VVT Hemi engine but with MDS.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:26 PM

GO R/T. You can kill yourself fine with that......8)
It's crazy fast still
Plus you get the Lifetime Warranty on the Engine and Tranny and no Gas Guzzler tax it places like Cali.
That was the big one for me.

Quick Reply: R/T Possible purchase