Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

stick shift

Old 11-15-2008, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: stick shift

Awesome reference mot 250! Will have one on the way soon. Are there instructions?

Fitz
Old 11-15-2008, 06:17 PM

09 hemi

That bogging you feel when you shift is probably the traction control trying to keep from ripping the skin off those 20s when you let the clutch spring back! LOL

Fitz
Old 11-15-2008, 10:46 PM

I get a nice chirp into second gear with my auto and love it![8D]
Old 11-16-2008, 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: flyingfitz

Awesome reference mot 250! Will have one on the way soon. Are there instructions?

Fitz
Yes, skip shift eliminator comes with instructions. If my pictures of the underside of the trans look good, I'll post them also but the instructions shoud suffice.

Luckily, I live close enough to have picked it up so I didn't need to lay out anything for shipping.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:20 PM

09 hemi

That bogging you feel when you shift is probably the traction control trying to keep from ripping the skin off those 20s when you let the clutch spring back! LOL

Fitz
Yeah, turn off the ESP completely to feel the full wrath of the 6spd before condeming it. I can get tire chirp out of 3rd gear when I have the ESP/BAS system disabled (and I don't mean with just the center stack ESP button).
Old 11-16-2008, 06:29 PM

What method are you using to totally disable the system? I have heard about turning the key to start when above 10 mph but haven't had the guts to trust the starter solenoid to not engage the starter. Are you using an aftermarket box? If so where, how much?

Fitz
Old 11-17-2008, 11:13 AM

What method are you using to totally disable the system? I have heard about turning the key to start when above 10 mph but haven't had the guts to trust the starter solenoid to not engage the starter. Are you using an aftermarket box? If so where, how much?

Fitz
No aftermarket box or tuner. Just the same trick you have been so far affraid to try. I know a Charger owner or two who have used this same trick so I was not affraid to try it on my Challenger.

Get your car moving about 10 mph or over and turn the key to start again. Immediately the radio will turn off. Continue to hold the key there for a few more seconds (not more than one or two seconds) and you will get a chime and the ESP/BAS error light on the dash will come on, then release the key.

The starter is disabled from re-engaging via a solenoid so no harm will come to your flywheel or starter. And if the solenoid fails...ah, who hasn't done it (or had a girlfriend/wife do it) by accident in an older car without such a solenoid and it didn't cause immediate and catostrophic damage.

You'll have to do this every time you start the car and you can not re-engage the ESP/BAS without turning the car off. This trick disables the center dash mounted switch in front of the shifter until the car is turned off and back on so don't use this trick if you expect to be driving on wet or slippery roads when you may want to engage the ESP/BAS.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:22 PM

Great Info. Will give it a try.

Fitz
Old 11-19-2008, 12:03 PM

As promised, a picture of the skip shift eliminator harness in place. Not a great picture, it is a tight area to get a good shot but I think it gives an idea of where it goes and how.

[IMG]/nskip shift eliminator harness for 2009 challenger r/t 6 speed[/IMG]

Edit, changed image post method. Still learning how to work this forum
Old 11-19-2008, 03:51 PM

Thanks mot. Great effort posting the pics. Was in Chicago yesterday but didn't get over to Shaumberg. Will have to order.

Fitz

Quick Reply: stick shift