Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Challenger R/T (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/dodge-challenger-r-t-33/)
-   -   Who designed this stupid key (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/dodge-challenger-r-t-33/who-designed-stupid-key-5539/)

BkChallenger09R/T 12-10-2008 02:18 PM

RE: Who designed this stupid key

My key just blew the horn on the Challenger while on the computer. I made a office room out of one of the spare bedroom's that just happens to be next to the garage . I really miss the smart key I had with the 06 MX-5 GT I traded on the Challenger. It had a flat credit card size thing about as thick as three credit card's . It had the button's on it as a touch pad . But the card had a chip in it that when you where within 20 ft of the car you didn't have to take it out of your pocket or what ever. Had a knob that fit over where the key went . All you had to do was turn it . And small button's on door handle's to lock or unlock the car and one hid under the trunk lid about the lic. plate . Any time you walked more than 20 ft away from the car the engine was disabled by the computer . The card had a manual made key that was built into it if your battery died in the card. Think this peg or FOB has that also. Is this card thing a option on the Challenger or is it just the automatic.

choodock 12-10-2008 03:45 PM

Our fobs are very similar to that of a new Benz. Our fob is a little longer because of the extra row of buttons for the remote start. My fob fits into the ignition of my friends brand new Benz and will turn the switch but will not start it because of the chip. I will venture a guess that a new MB with remote start has the same size fob as ours. I have never had an issue and my fob stays in the pocket of my regular fit Levis or my suit pants.

BkChallenger09R/T 12-10-2008 05:04 PM

Must be the pocket change or the metal key ring pushing the button's. A small price to pay for a great car.

Paladin06 12-10-2008 05:25 PM

I've never had a single problem with mine.:D

VPOINT 12-10-2008 06:31 PM

never had any problems, so far;)

RLSH700 12-12-2008 03:39 PM

Yeah, I hate those things as well. I hope this and those idiotic push buttons are a short lived fad.

epegasus 12-12-2008 06:42 PM

I LOVE MY PUSH BUTTON!! No more key scratches, man. And then there's the whole push button experience. It's just indescribably cool!!

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

Yeah, I hate those things as well. I hope this and those idiotic push buttons are a short lived fad.

05flhtcse 12-12-2008 07:45 PM

Things go in cycles, I think I had a fifties era car where you had to turn the key to on and then push a button to activate the starter. I also remember a car where you had to step on a gizmo on the floor to activate the starter. I still miss the dimmer switch on the floor.

bkw 12-12-2008 08:11 PM

ORIGINAL: 05flhtcse

Things go in cycles, I think I had a fifties era car where you had to turn the key to on and then push a button to activate the starter. I also remember a car where you had to step on a gizmo on the floor to activate the starter. I still miss the dimmer switch on the floor.
My dad has a 1948 ford coupe that has a key that locks the steering wheel, and a toggle switch. Once the switch is up.. you press a button to start the engine.

RoswellGrey 12-12-2008 09:29 PM

Yeah. First car I had was a 1950 Ford. It, too, had a button on the dash. Quite an innovation from having to depress the gas pedal to crank the starter.