Notices
General 1970-1974 Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the E-body (1970-1974) Dodge Challenger

A '70 on "Leno's Garage"

Old 10-04-2007, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A '70 on "Leno's Garage"

ORIGINAL: Paladin06

Note he stated the auto trannys were faster then then the 4 speeds. I think that will be the case today as well.
It depends on what they use. The original torqueflites were very fast shifting transmissions. The electronic systems on the ultra-drive based transmissions are not quite as fast. Also remember the quality of manual transmissions for that time as opposed to now day standards. Newer manuals are much easier to shift, so remember to include that into the equation. If they offer the dual-clutch automatics that they are working on, that will more than likely be the case. I'm not sure about the MB designed W5A580. The very limited knowledge I have along with the fact that very few models had both the four-speed auto (42RLE) and this MB unit, seems to show that there was little difference between the two.

Vanishingpoint, Jay Leno is a full blown gear head. He has tons upon tons of amazing cars, including a hot rod that has a Patton tank Hemi engine in it. They had to replace the greyhound sourced transmission with one from Allison.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts