Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

$ Value $: Present and Future

Old 07-11-2008, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: $ Value $: Present and Future

Wow, you guys have some great opinions. Buying this car is going to put me on a strict budget over the next year until I get other things paid off. Then I just am worried I paid too much because in about a year whats going to happen to the market? I think prices will definitly be lower in about a year. Who knows what is going to happen with gasoline prices too and the war situation in the middle east. All this stuff going on with Iran too now. And if McCain gets elected I still remember him singing, bomb, bomb, bomb... bomb, bomb Iran.... Gas $ will go through the roof! Sorry dont mean to get political...

I really think at this point for me personally I am going to pass up on my opertunity to buy an 08. If I had a little more capital to put down, I would go for it. I have been in the situation before when I had to live by a strict budget driving a corvette and I hate that feeling. My life right now is good the way it is driving my Dakota and having my old Skylark to cruise in when I need my muscle car fix.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:21 AM

Very wise choice. The car is amazing but not if it stresses you out. Good for you.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:50 AM

In my opinion an 08 is not worth it unless you have to have it NOW. After the 09s are out the only difference between that and an 08 is 5-10k less in your pocket and a number on the dash. . . and potential early bugs. In a year you'll be able to get a 2009 r/t for 2-3,000 off msrp.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:26 AM

Hopefully when the new Camaro comes out next year, that'll help prices will come back to sanity. And hopefully most of the hoopla will have died down too, so I can get my 09/010 at least at or below MSRP.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:28 PM

$45k-$48k seems to be the going price on ebay. Another factor is the '09 SRT-8 is priced $2k more than the '08, so essentially it is a wash. Unless you really want a 6 speed, and wait at least another 6 months, I'd go with a 2008. In the future, I really cant see this car going under $40kjust take a look at the GT500 right nowdo you see any used ones under $45k on ebay?
Old 07-11-2008, 04:29 PM

I think the people with money to burn..always have to have the latest and greatest...so when Camaro comes they will be dumping Chally. 09 Chally loaded like 08 and 6 speed came up at 45K on build sheet. Thats a few grand more but if they only make 4000 09and only handful with manual tranny,that will be the money in 15-20 years.Also,if you spend 60k for car better get some Extra insurance because Kelly Blue Book is what you get if something happens like T-Bone tree falls house fire home owners does not cover vehicles in garage.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:47 PM

The 09 appears to be $2,300 to $2,600 higher priced compared exactly to an 08. Therefore, I would definately try for an 08, it seems to be more of a collectors item than the future years. Unless, possibly the last year of this incarnation.

However, I would like to comment...have any of you actually bought any other car with this topic in mind? I mean really, that Camry or pickup or Benz or whatever you bought last year. You really were thinking, man I hope this goes up in value....Cmon!

My advice is, if you like this car buy it, period. If it happens to go up in value, good for all of us that have them. If you are buying any new item as an investment and hoping it doesnt drop in value the second it becomes used, good luck! Take your $40,000 and put it in a high yield money market, you will do a lot better over the next 20 years than this car will.

I for one am buying the car I didnt even know I was dreaming of,

Good Luck, Dave
Old 07-11-2008, 04:53 PM

Geeee as for the Camaro it might not get built.
GM might go BK11 next year with their stock under $10 ashare,and $7 in a month from now.
And them getting rid of Buick,Hummer and Sabb.
You bettter believe dodge will make as many Hemi Rts they can make if gas prices don't go up.
But with Gas prices at near and will top $5.00 next month.
I am sure Dodge will still make as many Rts as they can and many will be sitting on the dealers lots.
Yep I think when Sept rolls around you will be able to get a 2009 RT for a tad over invoice.
And why not?
Watch what gas prices will be by then.I would not order one,they will be on all of the dealer lots within 2 months..................
Old 07-11-2008, 05:08 PM

I for one plan on driving my srt-8 on a daily basis. There will those who only drive on weekends, and those who only take to car shows, and lastly those who lock them up in a warehouse. Only those who do not drive these in 20-30 years might be worth a little more than sticker. The 20 year mark seems to be a milestone when values go up from my experience. 1st and last year production models tend to go up the most. Everyone wants a 1996 Viper GTS as it is the first year, were $70k brand new. Go for mid $40's to mid $50's right now. Less than 1,000 mile beauty might get $65-$70k
Old 07-11-2008, 05:29 PM

I will daily drive but my worry is tires not gas. I have a 3 mile commute that takes 20 min so my stop and go is going to be NASTY.

Quick Reply: $ Value $: Present and Future