Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Any 2009 manuals here yet?

Old 08-27-2008, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any 2009 manuals here yet?

Anyone picked up their 2009 with a manual yet? Does it have skip shift (CAGS)?
Old 08-27-2008, 08:24 PM

Default RE: Any 2009 manuals here yet?

No '09s 6-speeds have been built yet, let alone delivered.

However, the 6-speeds do indeed come with the 1 -> 4 skip-shift (CAGS). Good news is reviews say it's pretty tough to get CAGS to engage unless you're really babying the car. Even better yet, Viper owners (who use the same T-6060 transmission) already have a dongle available which disables the skip-shift feature. Better still, I bet the DiabloSport Predator will have a toggle for it as well.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:17 PM

How does the 1-> 4 skip shift work on the 6 speed?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:42 PM

Skip shift blocks the transmission from shifting out of sequence in 1st-4th gears under normal circumstances.
I.E. you cannot shift from 1st to 3rd or 2nd to 4th unless RPM's are very high. Its designed to reduce emissions and keep you from lugging the engine.

According to the registry, as of right now there are 5 manual R/Ts and one manual SRT (mine) in D1 status.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:38 AM

Corvettes have had the skip-shift feature for a long time. I have owned several of them and it works fine. If you baby the engine with low RPMs, then it will skip from 1st to 4th. There is still plenty of torque to keep you rolling. If you keep the RPMs revving higher, then you have normal shifting ability through all of the gears. There have been overide kits for sale for ten years in all Corvette parts catalogues. You basically unplug the skip shift module from the transmission and the kit includes a plastic filler plug to replace it.

If this what Dodge has to do to win the CAFE game, and give us good manual transmissions, then it's really no big deal.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:22 AM

ORIGINAL: SKiDs33t

Skip shift blocks the transmission from shifting out of sequence in 1st-4th gears under normal circumstances.
I.E. you cannot shift from 1st to 3rd or 2nd to 4th unless RPM's are very high. Its designed to reduce emissions and keep you from lugging the engine.

According to the registry, as of right now there are 5 manual R/Ts and one manual SRT (mine) in D1 status.

Thats incorrect. The computer forces you to shift from 1st to fourth under normal driving conditions. This keeps the RPM's down and produces better gas milage and lower emissions. With the high torque engines the car can handle the 1st to forth shift with no problem.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:23 AM

I've had them before, and a quick blip on the gas right before the upshift cancels the CAG. Hopefully there's a "skip shift" warning light in the Challenger like my Camaros had so you know when it's gonna happen.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:34 AM

There is a guy over on the Challenger Z Forum that says there is a fully loaded Black 6-Speed SRT on a lot in Houston. Im a bit sceptical right now so I am waiting for him to post pics before I go ballistic.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:44 AM

So when shifting, when driving mildly when I go to shift from 1st to 2nd the gate for 2 is unavailable or the computer makes the gate that should be 2nd into 4th? I'm not clear on how this works? I assume my shifter is still a direct connection to my gearbox/syncros for shifting.

Can I go from 1 to 3?
Old 08-28-2008, 07:13 AM

CAGS/Skip-Shift is aimed at keeping you out of the lower gears and forcing you into the higher gears to get better mileage quicker.

If you're accelerating very slowly with low RPMs, the skip-shift feature will entirely block the gates to gears #2 and #3 via a solenoid. This means when you want to shift out of 1st, your ONLY option is to jump all the way to 4th gear. You *will not* be able to shift into 2nd or 3rd as in you physically couldn't move the stick there, it's physically locked out from you. This is done as a "cheat" to get a better MPG rating and thus less gas guzzler tax.

If you're accelerating a bit aggressively then the skip-shift isn't enforced and you can shift from/to anywhere you want.

So basically skip-shift toggles whether or not 2nd and 3rd are locked out from being used.

Quick Reply: Any 2009 manuals here yet?