Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   General Dodge Challenger Discussions (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/)
-   -   Blind Spots/sightlines (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/blind-spots-sightlines-5154/)

FastEddie 10-28-2008 09:25 AM

Blind Spots/sightlines

Hi All,

I've been waiting for this car for several years now, ever since the Concept took my breath away. I want an R/T, so have waited to sit in any model until now, when I can afford to build one, and I am now re-thinking this completely. For those of you that have one already, how difficult is it to see out the right side of the vehicle? The R/T I sat in had a huge blind spot due to the D-pillar, plus the passenger seat headrest is squarely in the way of the rear window, giving the impression that I can't see out the right side easily when I need to change lanes, back out, etc. How much of an issue is this for any of you?

Thanks,

Ed

RoswellGrey 10-28-2008 09:37 AM

RE: Blind Spots/sightlines

Since I hadn't driven a new Challenger till the day I went out to pick mine up, I wasn't aware how bad the right blind spot was till I was out in the middle of evening rush hour traffic. I couldn't see ANYTHING out of the right side. I had to pull over into a parking lot and figure out how to lower the headrests and move the right seat forward a bit. That cleared things up enough to be able to see out of the right rear side window.

Admittedly, even with the headrest down, the right blind spot is fairly large. But like with any car, you get used to this quirk fairly quickly and learn to compensate by using the right outside mirror A LOT. ;)

BLK 6050 10-28-2008 10:55 AM

That is one of the reasons why the new Challenger (all models) come with an outside right hand mirror as standard....unlike the first Challengers which listed the outside mirror as an option.....It helps....BUT, you must still use care......as the Challenger does have a BIG BLIND SPOT.............

Paladin06 10-28-2008 11:09 AM

Yea, it's got a big old butt!!

rtfromnc 10-28-2008 11:29 AM

Huge blind spot! I have been careless a couple of times and almost ran people off the road. Now I just punch it and move to the right. The 6.1l has enough power that if they were there I am far past them after punching it.

BLK 6050 10-28-2008 12:19 PM

I find myself cruising in the right lane when possible and safe for this very reason...unless of course I want to make time.......

rickerda 10-28-2008 01:55 PM

I agree! What makes you think anyone is going to get any where near you? I just make sure I know where everyone is and use the gas as needed.

ORIGINAL: rtfromnc

Huge blind spot! I have been careless a couple of times and almost ran people off the road. Now I just punch it and move to the right. The 6.1l has enough power that if they were there I am far past them after punching it.

mopar2ya 10-28-2008 03:59 PM

blindspot..?? what blindspot..?? :eek:

MoparOhio 10-28-2008 05:15 PM

My thoughts:

I don't own one however.... I drove an SE about 2 months ago as the dealer would only let me drive it around the block... I though the blind spots were huge myself and really wondered if I'd want to buy one. I figured when the time came to buy this Spring I'd have to really drive it before I committed. However, about two weeks ago a guy I work with bought an SRT and brought it to work. He knew of my obsession for this car as we have talked about it and I drool over the poster in my office and have several backgrounds on my PC of the new CHallenger. He took me out to lunch and then threw me the keys and said you are driving. I probably drove it 25 miles and quite honestly I thought it wasn't too bad and i drove mostly in town too. I guess it is a comfort thing. I am sure it is going to be a tad harder to drive and you will have to pay attention more but to me it is worth the trade off !

JJMPB 10-28-2008 05:19 PM

can the backseat head rests be removed?

BLK 6050 10-28-2008 05:26 PM

Actually I guess we'll making to big a deal about the blind spot:
To quote Raul Julia's Character, (Franco Bertollini-Ferrari Team) from the 1976 movie "Gumball Rally"

Franco: And now my friend, the first-a rule of Italian (Challenger) driving.
[Franco rips off his rear-view mirror and throws it out of the car]
Franco: What's-a behind me is not important.

(Remember, with the Challenger..."objects in the mirror are appearing smaller and smaller")

RUBBERBNDMAN 10-28-2008 05:49 PM

ORIGINAL: JJMPB

NO

mopar2ya 10-28-2008 05:55 PM

ORIGINAL: RUBBERBNDMAN

NO
Wrong again Rubberman... can you say Sawzall... [sm=icon_rock.gif]

mac 10-28-2008 08:11 PM

ORIGINAL: mopar2ya

blindspot..?? what blindspot..?? :eek:
Speaking of blind spots:
Can you imagine Mr. Magoo driving the challenger? Awayyyyy we Goooooooo and just stomps on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plyWxrHLE14

BLK 6050 10-29-2008 07:32 AM

We have a lot of "Magoo's" here in Arizona during the winter....we call them "snow birds" but they drive like Magoo's......................

Paladin06 10-29-2008 08:17 AM

Come on Joe leave the blue hairs alone:D

Yankee 10-29-2008 09:22 AM

ORIGINAL: BLK 6050

Actually I guess we'll making to big a deal about the blind spot:
To quote Raul Julia's Character, (Franco Bertollini-Ferrari Team) from the 1976 movie "Gumball Rally"

Franco: And now my friend, the first-a rule of Italian (Challenger) driving.
[Franco rips off his rear-view mirror and throws it out of the car]
Franco: What's-a behind me is not important.

(Remember, with the Challenger..."objects in the mirror are appearing smaller and smaller")

Absolute CLASSIC line from an absolute classic movie - one of my all-time favorites.

Guys, I can't believe we're concerned about a BLIND SPOT... :eek: (the wide C-pillars are kind of a dead giveaway to this, in case anyone was wondering). The original Challenger had them too - can you imagine Kowalski carping about his Challenger having something as insignificant as a blind spot? Sheesh!

If it's REALLY that much of a concern to you, then please - don't buy one.

Paladin06 10-29-2008 10:41 AM

Yea, it's kinda like the MPG thread. If MPG are a concern for you, get a hybrid. Oh yea this is a hybrid. It burns rubber and gas..:D:D

Well get a Focus.;)

RoswellGrey 10-29-2008 11:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Yankee

Guys, I can't believe we're concerned about a BLIND SPOT... :eek: (the wide C-pillars are kind of a dead giveaway to this, in case anyone was wondering). The original Challenger had them too - can you imagine Kowalski carping about his Challenger having something as insignificant as a blind spot? Sheesh!

Actually, the blind spot on the 09 is MUCH worse than it was on my 70. I'm wondering if the 09 isn't more like a 1970 SE was in that regard, since the 1970 SE had the much smaller rear window than my conventional model did. I was surprised when I got the 09 just how small the rear window is, although it doesn't look small from outside the car.

SKiDs33t 10-29-2008 11:39 AM

I was sitting in my dealers SE the other day and I was wondering the same thing. How the heck am I going to see to change lanes. Its going to take some adjustment, on my part, but the mirror/gas trick should help. My little Beemer has spoiled me. Ive gotten used to ignoring the right mirror entirely. I just glance at the center mirror, then over my shoulder. If I do the same thing in the Challenger, It will be like looking back into a cave.

Oh well. Its an adjustment I am willing to make to own a piece of automotive history. Ill just hang a little sign back on the C-Pillar that reads, "Check the Mirror Stupid".

Valkyrie9901 10-29-2008 03:17 PM

Could it be because part of the glass is blacked out around the edges on the inside?........JB.

TRW762X51mm 10-29-2008 05:36 PM

There are blindspots on the Challenger. But I have gotten acustomed to the vehicle with more than 2,000-miles. To combat blindspots I use my mirrors and 20-years driving xp. I suggest you all to adjust mirrors out little more, adjust your seating position, and don't tint your windows to overcome the blindspots. :)

TRW762X51mm 10-29-2008 05:40 PM

How very true. The heck with the gasoline, I'll buy-it even if it was $10-a-gallon. Nutz [8D]

ORIGINAL: Paladin06

Yea, it's kinda like the MPG thread. If MPG are a concern for you, get a hybrid. Oh yea this is a hybrid. It burns rubber and gas..:D:D

Well get a Focus.;)

RoswellGrey 10-30-2008 01:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Valkyrie9901

Could it be because part of the glass is blacked out around the edges on the inside?........JB.
Yeah. What is the reason for that? There is black around the edge of the rear window on my Mustang, but it's only a half-inch wide or so. On the Challenger, it's a good two inches.

JJMPB 10-30-2008 07:30 AM

Tinting your windows would make the car very hard to drive at night it would look good but hard to drive

BLK 6050 10-30-2008 09:17 AM

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey
Actually, the blind spot on the 09 is MUCH worse than it was on my 70. I'm wondering if the 09 isn't more like a 1970 SE was in that regard, since the 1970 SE had the much smaller rear window than my conventional model did. I was surprised when I got the 09 just how small the rear window is, although it doesn't look small from outside the car.
[/quote]

I had a 70 RT/SE Challenger back in the day, and it's window was much smaller than today's Challenger...I think the problem (if you want to call it as such) has to do with how the back quarters seem to be higher...I was looking at my car the other day, and it hit he...the car looks as if it has a "Chopped Top"..perhaps it's just me or the color black...but the roof looks a lot lower than the 70...but I still think it has to do with the quarters...they are higher
(Little war story form the past: I was cruising Whittler Blvd in California one night, minding my own business, when all of a sudden there was a LOUD exhaust roar behind me....I looked out the mirrors and nothing, just empty road.....all of a sudden a guy driving a Pantara pulls out from behind me and drives away...never did see him behind me...oh yes the original SE had the same problem as today's Challenger..but I never had any trouble.....just use the mirrors, and be carefull.....)

Paladin06 10-30-2008 10:10 AM

Not really. I actually helps with the glare from vehicle and street lights.

Tinting your windows would make the car very hard to drive at night it would look good but hard to drive

mopar2ya 10-30-2008 10:13 AM

Thank You Paladin... that was all I needed to justify the tint... looks like I can get my windows tinted now!! :D

BLK 6050 10-30-2008 01:12 PM

Thank You Paladin... that was all I needed to justify the tint... looks like I can get my windows tinted now!! :D
I tinted mine, looks great with the black color...(Also, made it even faster)

Paladin06 10-30-2008 01:20 PM

I tinted CRUSH shortly after it was delivered. My wife said tinting the windows made the car even more sexy;) and you know I like hearing that.:D

2007HemiCuda 10-30-2008 01:31 PM

Drill a large-large hole in the C-pillar, fill said hole with Plexi-Glass problem solved and weight reduced!

mopar2ya 10-30-2008 01:33 PM

Better night vision...
Makes Challenger faster...
Sexier...

hmmm... how could a guy not do it..?? :D

mopar2ya 10-30-2008 01:34 PM

ORIGINAL: 2007HemiCuda

Drill a large-large hole in the C-pillar, fill said hole with Plexi-Glass problem solved and weight reduced!
Then you just have to tint the C-Pillar... ;)

2007HemiCuda 10-30-2008 01:36 PM

Then you just have to tint the C-Pillar... ;)
Maybe work some kind of hand crank for making the Plexi-Glass go up and down.

mopar2ya 10-30-2008 01:39 PM

Just extend the door glass and it will go up and down with the window switch.. ;)

2007HemiCuda 10-30-2008 01:42 PM

You would have to remove the B-Pillar...hmmm where have I seen that before?

Yankee 10-30-2008 03:47 PM

Portholes! Hey, what a great idea! Just like those T-birds of the early 70s. Now all you have to do is slap a landau roof on it and you're good to go... :D

RoswellGrey 10-31-2008 04:43 AM

But to do a landau roof properly, it HAS to have a heart-shaped rear window, which kinda defeats the purpose of improving the sightlines. ;)

fatcat 10-31-2008 08:20 AM

I'm begging all of you to please adjust your right side mirror out a little more and to pratice using it as much as you can because I'm a really old fart and have to be extra carefull driving and seeing is so important. Most of all I don't want to see any Challenger owner bang up thier car or damage it in anyway much less hurt themselves or anyone else. I agree that there is a huge blindspot but if I can over come it by using and practicing with my mirrors then I know you all can!!!

Paladin if you don't mind I'd like to ask a question? Since Tinted windows are outlawed in NJ can you tell me what windows you tinted and what degree of window tinting you used? In NJ you can tint " Back side " and " Rear " windows in no more than 35 % black or smoke tint so thats why I'm asking to see what yours look like to compare to whats allowed here. Thanks for any info you can post, Fat Cat[sm=gears.gif]

ORIGINAL: Paladin06

I tinted CRUSH shortly after it was delivered. My wife said tinting the windows made the car even more sexy;) and you know I like hearing that.:D

BLK 6050 10-31-2008 08:31 AM

ORIGINAL: fatcat

Paladin if you don't mind I'd like to ask a question? Since Tinted windows are outlawed in NJ can you tell me what windows you tinted and what degree of window tinting you used? In NJ you can tint " Back side " and " Rear " windows in no more than 35 % black or smoke tint so thats why I'm asking to see what yours look like to compare to whats allowed here. Thanks for any info you can post, Fat Cat.

Had my windows tinted 35% (all side windows and rear window). Had limo tint on my old ’84 Monte Carlo SS and finally got stopped after driving it for a few years and had to remove it. I find 35% tint works great and makes the Challenger look even better.

On the subject of mirrors....perhaps some people need to mount the "oversided" hang on type, that people use when towing a trailer......just a thought....