Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Brand of Oil?

Old 07-14-2008, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brand of Oil?

Been running Castrol GTX for years - in every car I've owned.
I,ve never had an engine issue/failure in ANY vehicle - purchased new OR used.

I think as long as you change your oil as recommended by Dodge, you,ll be fine. I know some wil disagree. I personally think the brand of filter is of equal importance as the oil itself.

The old Corvairs used a roll of toilet paper stuffed into a cylinder as an oil filter (Charmin worked best).
Things sure have come a long way since then.
[:-]
Old 07-14-2008, 05:04 PM

I use Valvoline in everything I have, never had any problems. I agree w/ Bootcamp, keeping after it and not skimping on the filter is part of the battle.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:05 PM

I had a Buick GNX that I put over 130K miles on in a short period of time as I drove it from Great Lakes Illinois to San Diego round trip many times plus trips to Florida etc. The car had the original V6 turbo and had never been opened over its entire life. Castrol GTX was the life blood that kept that car going and going. My Challenger will get GTX on its first oil change and then on for ever.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:16 PM

Castrol GTX 5W20 in my wifes Charger R/T since it was new. Every 3000 miles without fail.
The car has never been back to the dealership since driving it new off of the lot.
Excellent cars deserve excellent maintenance and materials. The price isnt always the deciding factor. Experience is.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:22 PM

[sm=smiley20.gif]
Id rather spend the $10 on a K&N oil filter than spending more on the oil. If the filter works well, the oil (changed every 3000 miles) and engine will be just fine.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:24 AM

Seems like AMSOIL might be the way to go.

http://www.searchforparts.com/import..._taxi_cabs.php
http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html
http://www.amsoil.com/
Old 07-25-2008, 08:53 PM

Regardless of the hype in aftermarket filters there are many other things to consider than the lowest micron filtration. Most of these super filters will plug sooner opening the bypass system and subsiquently NOT filter the oil.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:00 AM

ORIGINAL: mjorgensen
Regardless of the hype in aftermarket filters there are many other things to consider than the lowest micron filtration. Most of these super filters will plug sooner opening the bypass system and subsiquently NOT filter the oil.
what should be considered?
Old 07-26-2008, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Royal Purple for me.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:15 AM

Sorry for the short reply, I spent about two hours last night writing post just to have a server error message and loose them all. Just got fed up with the site I guess. I will try again.
ORIGINAL: nonsensez9

ORIGINAL: mjorgensen
what should be considered?

Quick Reply: Brand of Oil?