Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   General Dodge Challenger Discussions (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/)
-   -   Challenger battery (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/challenger-battery-5080/)

RoswellGrey 10-20-2008 04:03 PM

Challenger battery

It's in the trunk, right? While cleaning the car today, I happened to notice that there is no keyhole for the trunk. I got to thinking about what you would have to do to change the battery if the key fob does not work.

1. Remove the emergency key from the base of the fob.

2. Open the driver's side door, since it is the only one with a keyhole.

3. Reach across the car and unlatch the passenger door.

4. Go around the car, open the passenger door and slide the seat forward (remember, the battery is shot, so you could not move the driver's seat forward).

5. Pull the backs of the rear seat down (better do both sides, since this probably will take some room to work in).

6. Assuming you do not have a bunch of stuff in it that you would have to unload from inside the car, crawl part-way into the trunk till you can reach the emergency release on the inside of the trunk. Naturally, it is located right by the trunk latch itself, so it's as far as you could possibly put it from the rear seat.

7. If you are not Snakeboy and can't crawl through the trunk itself, somehow wiggle back out the passenger door.

8. Walk around to the rear of the trunk, lift the mat and lift the covering over the battery to access the failed item.

Did I miss anything? Who designs stuff like this???? [:@]

mopar2ya 10-20-2008 04:08 PM

RE: Challenger battery

Or... you could probably hook a battery charger up to the battery leads under the hood and proceed from there... ;)

RoswellGrey 10-20-2008 04:10 PM

Yeah. You MIGHT be able to jump-start it and take it to a Dodge dealer and let them do all the work. :D

But what if it doesn't jump start?

mopar2ya 10-20-2008 04:12 PM

There is a trunk release on the dash. Once power is applied to the battery terminals under the hood I would just try the trunk release... ;)

RUBBERBNDMAN 10-20-2008 04:15 PM

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

It's in the trunk, right? While cleaning the car today, I happened to notice that there is no keyhole for the trunk. I got to thinking about what you would have to do to change the battery if the key fob does not work.

1. Remove the emergency key from the base of the fob.

2. Open the driver's side door, since it is the only one with a keyhole.

3. Reach across the car and unlatch the passenger door.

4. Go around the car, open the passenger door and slide the seat forward (remember, the battery is shot, so you could not move the driver's seat forward).

5. Pull the backs of the rear seat down (better do both sides, since this probably will take some room to work in).

6. Assuming you do not have a bunch of stuff in it that you would have to unload from inside the car, crawl part-way into the trunk till you can reach the emergency release on the inside of the trunk. Naturally, it is located right by the trunk latch itself, so it's as far as you could possibly put it from the rear seat.

7. If you are not Snakeboy and can't crawl through the trunk itself, somehow wiggle back out the passenger door.

8. Walk around to the rear of the trunk, lift the mat and lift the covering over the battery to access the failed item.

Did I miss anything? Who designs stuff like this???? [:@]
It is still REAL COOL:D

RoswellGrey 10-20-2008 04:15 PM

ORIGINAL: mopar2ya

There is a trunk release on the dash. Once power is applied to the battery terminals under the hood I would just try the trunk release... ;)
Never thought of that. Good idea ... as long as you have a way of getting power flowing into the car...

I dunno. I've been in too many situations in South Texas where you have to suddenly change batteries because here, the heat just suddenly kills them. This is an awfully complicated situation that could have been very easily solved by installing a 59-cent key latch on the trunk.

RoswellGrey 10-20-2008 04:16 PM

:D:D:D True dat.

Dodge Favre ever 10-20-2008 04:17 PM

Or a new game for the G-kids who can open the trunk first.:D

mopar2ya 10-20-2008 04:19 PM

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

ORIGINAL: mopar2ya
Never thought of that. Good idea ... as long as you have a way of getting power flowing into the car...

I dunno. I've been in too many situations in South Texas where you have to suddenly change batteries because here, the heat just suddenly kills them. This is an awfully complicated situation that could have been very easily solved by installing a 59-cent key latch on the trunk.
At least you knew about the hidden key... would have hated to hear that you pryed the door open with a crowbar... [8D]

RoswellGrey 10-20-2008 04:22 PM

You know, I'm really glad I bought a Challenger and learned the secret of the hidden key. I had a rental Charger earlier this year and they neglected to tell me about that little feature. Fortunately, nothing happened that required me to have to somehow get in the car without using the key fob and, say, get the paperwork that had the agency's phone number on it so I could call them and tell them there was something wrong with the car. :D