Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

From a Chrysler Rep's mouth (not mine)

Old 05-16-2007, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From a Chrysler Rep's mouth (not mine)

I was told today that the Challenger is not going to come out till next spring. The initial run is going to be either 6.2 or 6.1 SRT's. At this time there is only going to be 12,000 units in that run. After that the 5.7 Hemi automatics will come. There is not going to be any V-6's for the 08 model year and no solid plans for the V-6 in the Challenger.
Out of that 12,000 SRT's only 80% will hit the open market due to new model builds.
I told you die hards that I would post when I get info and this is all I have at this point. Do not be afraid of the new owners of Chrysler, they have alot of money to throw around on the new model development and one of the head guys that they hired was the guy that started the SRT line and got it off the ground.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: From a Chrysler Rep's mouth (not mine)

Thanks for the update.

This information does not surprise me other than the numbers are sligthly lower than the 30K I was expecting.

Sounds like they are only going to sell the big V-8 the first year. If they do not have any V-6's I think the Challenger maybe short lived
since they market will be small they sell into.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:40 PM
Administrator

especially considering that fact that the mustang has been kept alive due to its V6 sales.

and whats a 6.2?
Old 05-17-2007, 04:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another view:

According to a Chrysler rep talking informally: “Cars should start rolling off the line in January-Feburary of 2008, hitting the dealers by March. There will be a SXT model with either a V-6 or a 4.7 V-8. The first hemi R/T's will be all autosticks. The SRT-8s will be the 6.4 Hemis putting out 500-505 HP. The story right now is the manual trans is still up in the air, he said there is a faction that wants only autosticks, and another wants the 6 speeds. He's backing the 6 speed availability.”

Allpar.com has also stated: "The 6.4 liter version, at a historic 392 cubic inches, due in 2008 with the Dodge Challenger, does the SRT-8 one better..." See:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html

Old 05-17-2007, 04:14 AM
Administrator

"views" from allpar...

do they have any sources on that?
Old 05-17-2007, 04:22 AM

No offense to those Reps, but until DCX puts it out on the official site, I wouldnt put much stock into anything.
As for the 6 speed. Its a shame if DCX cant figure it out. There is/was an aftermarket 6 speed for the LX platform. Some how the vendor pulled back the project after getting 1 car successfully converted.

It sounds like Cuda340's info may be close to being the closest to the truth.

I actually prefer a autostick. but thats just me, since it will be a daily driver for me.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

What is an allpar.....LOL!

I agree with the autostick for a daily driver especially if you live in a large city with traffic.

I prefer the 6-speed manual but mine will be a car for fun driving and not a daily driver.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:02 AM

I live in the country flat open roads and 6-speed.. I really do hope they get the 6 speed problems figured out, they will sell many more units.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:35 AM

This is actually not all that good of news. With such a limited number of cars the first year, no 6-speed, and no 6 cylinder, option I agree this does not bode well for the longevity (if at all) for the challey.

Also I recently read something about the "new company" may experience some very severe cut backs to get to profitability, this too could be an impediment.

I try to remain hopeful and still hope to get one of the first ones off the product line - but I am begining to feel I could be exposing a fools hope.

-Phil
Old 05-18-2007, 09:35 AM

Even if Dodge has cut back. Doing anything that would negatively affect the Challenger would be like shooting itself in the foot.
By the number of new Ford Mustang ads and the fact GM is waiting until 09 for the Camero release. I really think the Dodge boys have struck some fear in the muscle car market.

Quick Reply: From a Chrysler Rep's mouth (not mine)