Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Cold Air Induction?

Old 02-05-2009, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Induction?

Hey all, thanks for giving my post a look. I have an SRT with a 6 speed and I'd like to add CAI. Does anyone have experience with the Mopar version vs. a Volant or K&N aftermarket version? I definitely don't want one that requires oil. If you get an aftermarket CAI, does it do anything to the warranty? It would be so much easier to have the dealer throw one on if the performance is the same (might be a bit spendier I guess). And yes, I know I need to open up the exhaust to gain the full advantage.

Thanks in advance for the input.

John
Old 02-06-2009, 12:47 AM

Default RE: Cold Air Induction?

I have a MOPAR CAI on my 09 6 speed SRT. It definitely moves some air. No oil in the filter on the MOPAR unit.
I'm not a lawyer, but I can't see how the MOPAR CAI would void the factory warranty.
You can install the unit yourself in about 30 minutes. It's not difficult at all.
I would say the CAI is your first step in improving performance, followed by a free-flowing aftermarket CatBack exhaust (my preference is for the Corsa). Once those two items are installed, if you get a DiabloSport Predator programmer and load a 91 octane canned tune in your baby, she'll wake up to the tune of 10-20 more RWHP than the stock system.
Diablo doesn't have tunes out for '09 6-speeds yet, but are due out any day now.

I got my CAI from MoparSuperCenter, and my DiabloSport Predator tuner from
HighHorse Performance (limited time offer for the programmer, USB to Serial Port cable, external power supply/charger, a free stage 1 tune and free shipping - check thier site for this offer). Those vendors had the best prices / deals I could find on those items. You could also add some braided stainless steel hose to the CAI as a dress-up. I just need to swap out the exhaust systems and I'll be set on the basics.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:28 AM

Thanks! I'm sure the Mopar system wouldn't void warranty, I was concerned about the other systems. As long as you don't have to oil the Mopar system, that's the way I'll go. I'm a big fan of the Predator tune and have used it on other vehicles, but as you say there is no tune for the 6 speed yet. As soon as there is that will be my next step. I'm kind of a Magnaflow guy myself, but one way or another that bit will be coming soon.

I looked at the Mopar CAI on MSC the other night and they were selling filter oil next to it so I got a little concerned. Thanks for your input!
Old 02-06-2009, 08:08 AM

NP Bud.
One thing I neglected to mention that a lot of guys are doing is replacing the stock thermostat with a 180 degree thermostat - again - before the Predator tune.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:07 AM

Hey BootCamp, better check out that filter. The Mopar unit absolutely does need to be oiled. Yours probably came pre-oiled from the factory, but it does need to be checked from time to time. The only cai I found that doesn't require oil is the AFE, which has an option for a dry filter. Not quiite as much performance but it doesn't booger up the MAF sensor.