Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Collector Value

Old 09-19-2007, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collector Value

So, I know we have many people and perspectives here. Not seeing anything quite close enough to $(SUBJECT) I thought I would ask the question.

Will this car become a collector car? If so, which? the 2008 (half year run on the LX Frame) or the 2009 first year run on the new LY frame? Some subsequent year? What would it take to make it a collector?
What would make one model more of a collector than another?
Would it neccessarily have to come with all the options?
Which color would be more collectable?
Would the type of transmission add to one being more collectable (down through the years) than another? Of course most will want a manual because it is more akin to it being a pony car, but the automatics these days are very tempting. Would it matter?
How about convertable verses hardtop? (If they even will make convertables - personally I think it is inevitable).

I am curious to hear what you think will make one model of the challenger more collectible than another.
Here's an odd ball question - given the PC environmentalist, would a six cylindar be in the collectable running?

Let's hear it for what you think will make the challenger collectable?

Cheers
Old 09-19-2007, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Collector Value

Based on the ages of this website there are mostly people in their 20 and people in there 40-50's.

By the time this thing is a collectable again, the younger crowd will in their 50's and the older crowd will be dead.

So for me I will enjoy it while I can and give it to my grandchildren I hope to have some day.

I am not trying to be negative but just a realist. I have some of the original Spiderman comic books in mint condition from the 60's but I will never sell them
just give them to my grandchildren to enjoy when they get older.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

I'd say the SRTs will be worth something some day. I would like to keep it not only for the sake of a collector, but I have doubts that car like these will ever be produced again with the 35mpg CAFE standards in 2020.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-20-2007, 02:43 AM

Just look at the old Mopar musclecars. The ones that seem to garner the most value today were the oddballs that dealers couldn't sell back in the day. For example, when new many dealers could not give away cars like Plymouth Superbirds and now they are highly collectible. I would suggest to look for the lowrunners and special editions and those will be the ones that will be the most valuable later. Also, if you are looking to retain the value on the car, keep it COMPLETELY stock. The OEM restored and unrestored original musclecars have the most value. Just my two cents worth from being in the Mopar musclecar hobby for the last 15 or so years.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:37 AM

Personally I doubt i would ever be able to resist the driving experience of the car and hence I will probably put hundreds of thousands of miles on mine. So I am not thinking about be a collector myself. I am looking for people to speculate on what will make one version of the challenger more collectable than another.

I like what hemicuda says and I tend to agree. I think the first year run vehicles will be the odd ones out because they will be on the LX frame, come in only a few select colors and not have all the options the subsequent year cars are likely to possess.
So perhaps they will become over time the most desirable, but unlike the superbird (of which I had a 1969 440 six pack hemi-orange with that most wonderful meep-meep horn), the challenger IS wanted right out of the starting gate. So the initial cost will be higher, so the "investment" price is questionable.

What of the subsequent year ones? What would it take for one of them to be a "collector" - providing anyone in 20 or so years cares about gasoline powered cars. 8^) (Presuming we are all be running around with Mr. Fusion Back to the Future mobiles 8^)))

Thanks for playing along ( to kill time while we wait to find out the truth of our predictions) -