Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Dodge brand is on life support

Old 12-05-2008, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge brand is on life support

As unthinkable as it might be, our beloved Dodge that has been producing cars since 1914 is on life support.

IF (big if) Chrysler survives this economic mess, it is clear that part of the restructuring of Chrysler will be to eliminate brands & duplicate products.

As an example, there is really no need for a Durango and an Aspen - when you've got Jeep.

There is no need for most of Dodge products - when they are re-badged Chrsylers anyway (or visa versa).

Just as the Prowler went being a Plymouth Prowler to a Chrysler Prowler, so too our Challenger might become the Chrysler Challenger.

I pray that Chrysler survives. It sucks to own a car with no dealer network with no warranty to stand behind our cars.

Our "lifetime" warranty is only as good as Chrysler's alive. Pretty unthinkable a few months ago - but now a possibility.

The good news, is that after three months of ownership of my '09 R/T - it still is an amazing car that draws huge attention everywhere I go.

No issues with my car, no rattles, great mileage for a HEMI engine, and outstanding comfort.

Can you spell B A I L O U T ? Boy does Chrysler need it bad.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:46 PM

Default RE: Dodge brand is on life support

The bail out was approved today. You can bet the bank that Congress and the Senate will not allow Chrysler to build Muscle cars with taxpayer money. The Challenger is no more and the Camaro shall never see more then one year if at all.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Paladin06

The bail out was approved today. You can bet the bank that Congress and the Senate will not allow Chrysler to build Muscle cars with taxpayer money. The Challenger is no more and the Camaro shall never see more then one year if at all.
Fact or speculation Paladin..??
Old 12-05-2008, 05:55 PM

Fact on the bail out but on the Musclecars, think about it. All the tree huggers in Washington think and live green.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:56 PM

I gotta agree, if the Government is gonna be giving out $$$, there will be conditions and strings attached, not good at all.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:14 PM

Gotta disagree. This"bailout" is not giving money to the companies but loaning them money. The US actually made money off of the last Chrysler bailout. This is an important distinction. The scary part is the warnings about not all three companies survivng. I am a strong advocate of an independent Chrysler. They also talk about using funds from the money for environmentally friendly cars.
But the fact is the Brampton plant sells all of the cars they make. Even with the slowdown they are selling Challys without even advertising. They have backorders for the Challys. The gov't is not going to close down profitable operations including the Brampton plant (even though it is in Canada).
Old 12-05-2008, 09:27 PM

This round of bailouts are just enough to get the big 3 through January. Then comes more begging.
If we just paid a rebate for everyone who purchased american we could start with kicks to the tax paying consumer that would allow the big 3 to pull out of this with ONLY the 15 billion borrowed so far.
if we do a complete bailout to the cost of 34B, I am done with our tax system
Old 12-05-2008, 09:30 PM

I laughed hard when Chrysler was asked why Ceberus, with 24 billion in holdings would not leaned a company it owns 80.1% the funds to stay afloat...
Old 12-05-2008, 10:00 PM

Actually, no bailout has been approved yet. Friday, the White House and and congressional Democrats were nearing an agreement on a bailout. Read your newspapers.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:38 AM

You folks did not check the electric Hemi option when ordering? For shame

Quick Reply: Dodge brand is on life support