Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

DROPING THE TOP

Old 03-02-2008, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DROPING THE TOP

So what's the newest info will it fold down or is the 21st the best we can hope for?
Last i read supposedly they changed something on the frame to accomadated a convertible some kind of cross bar or something. I know it's nothing major just something to anchor seat-belts to.
WELL SOMEONE ENLIGHTEN THE GROUP PLEASE??
Old 03-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: DROPING THE TOP

Here is my 2 sense , it will not make than just relocating the seat belt attachments. Trunk/quarter panels,seats, chassis beefed up will all have to occur to make it happen. That is alot of design and cost.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

Here is my 2 sense , it will not make than just relocating the seat belt attachments. Trunk/quarter panels,seats, chassis beefed up will all have to occur to make it happen. That is alot of design and cost.
And everybody's dreaded enemy... weight!! []
Old 03-02-2008, 06:32 PM

ORIGINAL: mopar2ya

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

And everybody's dreaded enemy... weight!! []
Ugh, yeah. A convertible might weigh in at 4300+ lbs.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:48 PM

'back in the day', convertibles were less expensive to buy than coupes...other than demand, wonder why they are more expensive than a coupe now???
Old 03-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, they can easily add 200lbs to a car.

I am guessng but back in the day, they probably did't worry about stiffening up the chassis when they took the top off.
Back then convertibles were mostly mechanical, now they are electric.

Designing in impact resistance was not a issue back in the day. Without a roof the sides are weaker and have to be reinforced, etc, etc..
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:18 PM

everything you said jerimiah is very true and i agree with. But for some reason, or somewhere i read the design somehow accomidates a convertible. But that could be my wishful thinking or some magazine article's wishful thinking. I've read so much on this thing and it still seems i don't know anything. Peace.. As for weight to me 200 lbs is a small price to pay to fold the top down. That's where i draw the line at least. It could be a manual folding top like on C5 vette's there's not much to that.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:57 PM

im not much into convertables but I would have to say also they design most cars with the intent of it being a hardtop. Thus they have to do some reverse engineering to make a convertable work, which in short, cost $$
Old 03-04-2008, 03:06 PM

yea i'm starting to think they wont build it. If they were wouldnt we see a prototype by now? Rumor is 2010 maybe but seems we would be seeing some bait thrown out there by Dodge just to see about the demand. Nothing though from Dodge and that has me worried as each month goes by.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

I am not a fan of convertibles and when I say I don't expect Dodge to build it I am not everybodies fan.

Quick Reply: DROPING THE TOP