Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Exhaust

Old 01-07-2009, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Exhaust

I tried SLP loudmouth cat back (crazy loud tons of drone) now I'm going with Corsa-more money but I' believe money well spent. You tube Corsa Challenger and listen to the sweetness!
Old 01-09-2009, 07:32 AM

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a predator? I also would like to know if modifying the exhaust will void the warranty...
Old 01-09-2009, 08:54 AM

Diablo Predator is a tuner for modifying your engine and transmission settings. There are pre-set tunes you can do or custom tunes for the more knowledgable.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:25 AM

As complicated as modern cars are, I'd be very leery about altering any of the settings or equipment. You gotta figure that Chrysler has spent multiple millions of dollars figuring out the "correct" settings (probably mainly for antipollution-law compliance and gas mileage). I realize some people here are actually involved in the automotive industry, but personally, I don't know enough about modern cars to even want to attempt alterations.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:14 PM

Yes, the OEs spend millions in R&D. One of the goals with a factory exhaust is to minimize interior noise while still allowing enough flow to make power. It's a delicate balancing act. On this car, I would rather have the "right sound" on the outside, even if that means more noise on the inside. There is a good reason I opted for the upgraded stereo system!

As far as the exhaust system is concerned (post cat on a 6-speed R/T), I would be willing to bet that I have not altered the flow numbers by much at all. The OE front mufflers are straight through. The Flowmaster Super 44s I installed have internal baffles to direct flow and change the sound. The OE rear mufflers/resonators are what quiet most of the sound on the R/T. I removed them and replaced with OE size tubing (2-1/2") and used the original tips. This cannot amount to any measurable change in emissions averaged over the entire RPM range. Obviously it sounds different. That was the intended goal from the outset. Performance? I would bet it is no different. If anything, I might expect to sacrifice a smidge of low end power for a tiny gain at higher RPM. Only a before and after on the dyno would say for sure, but I would be willing to be that the difference is nothing in the real world.

As for voiding warranty:
If the service guys at the dealer wanted to be schmucks, they could say anything they wanted. In the end, a call to Chysler Customer Service would set them straight. It shouldn't come to that. Technically speaking, altering the exhaust behind the converters does NOT void the factory warranty. It would be one ugly day in the service department if they ever tried to tell me different.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:19 PM

I have a 6 speed R/T and have wondered how the sound was different with the resonators removed. I am thinking about this mod for a while. Cutting out the stock mufflers for flowmasters is out of the question. Please describe the sound and feel free to use words like "vroom and cackle"

Fitz
Old 01-09-2009, 07:22 PM

Sorry, I think I read this post wrong. I thought that you had the stock mufflers with resonators removed. I see now that you have flowmasters. Does anyone out there have the stock mufflers with resonators removed. If so, please describe how the sound is different and how much louder in and out of the cabin.

Fitz
Old 01-09-2009, 08:48 PM

ORIGINAL: brentmannrt09

I tried SLP loudmouth cat back (crazy loud tons of drone) now I'm going with Corsa-more money but I' believe money well spent. You tube Corsa Challenger and listen to the sweetness!
Have to agree, the corsa exhaust sounds awesome !
Old 01-09-2009, 09:18 PM

Someone on the forum posted a bunch of links to a web site that has some really great DIY web pages for Challenger mods like CAI and Predator. They also had a nice page on low cost exhaust mods where they replaced the "suitcase" and cut out the resonators for a couple of hundred bucks. The nice part was a link to a couple of videos where the guy was getting on his Challenger so you could hear the exhaust. Of course, I can't remember the thread name now or the name of the site. Maybe someone out there can help?
Old 01-10-2009, 05:14 AM

ORIGINAL: flyingfitz

Sorry, I think I read this post wrong. I thought that you had the stock mufflers with resonators removed. I see now that you have flowmasters. Does anyone out there have the stock mufflers with resonators removed. If so, please describe how the sound is different and how much louder in and out of the cabin.

Fitz
I tried this for one day...then ordered my Magnaflow. The sound was not what I expected...it had a flat hollow sound, and had drone that was unbelievable!! At around 60 ~70 mph, it almost drove me out of the car. My new exhaust is a million times better. If I were to stick with the stock type exhaust, I would look into some 6 speed factory mufflers without the resonators. The big suitcase muffler on the auto is terrible if you are looking for a true performance sound. In my opinion, the only way to improve the stock system is get rid of the suitcase style muffler. Some people have reported removing it and leaving the resonators and liked the sound.

Quick Reply: Exhaust