Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Front Spoiler Clearance

Old 07-03-2008, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Spoiler Clearance

You guys that have your Challengers already, how good is the clearance on that front spoiler? I dont recall the prototype Challenger having the front spoiler. I had a 93 vette and everytime I would drive in and out of my drive way the air dam would drag no matter how slow I went. I am just curious if anyone has hit theirs yet.

Does it clear a normal size curb???

I may consider removing the front spoiler to prevent damage. I wonder if this would be easy to do. I plan on DRIVING my Challenger RAIN or SHINE. No babying this car around. I am buying it to use it and enjoy it.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:50 AM

Default RE: Front Spoiler Clearance

I think maybe BUDMAN's Challenger got a little scraped up when it was being loaded onto a truck. He posted some pics of the scraped up underside, but I can't remember which thread it was in.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:52 AM

do not remove it there are more parts under there that go with it also brake cooling just be careful
ORIGINAL: YoDesigner

You guys that have your Challengers already, how good is the clearance on that front spoiler? I dont recall the prototype Challenger having the front spoiler. I had a 93 vette and everytime I would drive in and out of my drive way the air dam would drag no matter how slow I went. I am just curious if anyone has hit theirs yet.

I may consider removing the front spoiler to prevent damage. I wonder if this would be easy to do. I plan on DRIVING my Challenger RAIN or SHINE. No babying this car around. I am buying it to use it and enjoy it.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:26 AM

Spoiler is needed for aero purposes from what I have read. Front end lift was a major problem in testing.

From interview with Jeff Gale at http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/15/au...=y&oref=slogin
“We wanted to keep the recessed grille,” he explained. “But when we did the first 3/8-scale model and put it in the wind tunnel, so much air was pushing through the nose the hood blew off. Bits of Styrofoam and clay were everywhere. We knew then we had a big challenge.”

To balance the airflow, Mr. Gale put a small spoiler on the trunk lid and an air dam below the car’s nose.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:13 AM

No scrapes yet. I think its pretty high.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:14 AM

It barely clears normal curbs. I have only scraped once leaving a parking lot. It is not as bad as I initially feared.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:47 AM

You do need to be careful working around the engine bay though. When I put my CAI on, I kept running my feet into the front spoiler. When you are close enough to actually reach into the engine bay, your feet are actually underneath the spoiler.
Driving wise, I haven't had a problem. Watching it come off the truck was a nightmare though. The spoiler must have had 1 inch clearance max. The driver was very careful, but still quite nerve racking.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:12 PM

BUDMAN, you know everything... When I grow up I want to be just like you! Ooops, too late, I'm already 45... Well, I still appreciate the fact that you "are in the know" with everything!

ORIGINAL: BUDMAN

do not remove it there are more parts under there that go with it also brake cooling just be careful
ORIGINAL: YoDesigner

Old 07-03-2008, 04:19 PM

ORIGINAL: mss3dodge

BUDMAN, you know everything... When I grow up I want to be just like you! Ooops, too late, I'm already 45... Well, I still appreciate the fact that you "are in the know" with everything!
[sm=youreright.gif] BUDMAN, BUDMAN... All Hail BUDMAN... [sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif][sm=hail.gif]
Old 07-03-2008, 04:27 PM

The Budman, Budonator, Bud-o-matic, Budmeister!

Quick Reply: Front Spoiler Clearance