Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Fully Functional Hood Inlets?

Old 04-01-2008, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fully Functional Hood Inlets?

OK, here is a new one on me. I just did one of those live chats with a dodge rep in which I asked, "What do they mean by fully functional air inlets for the hood when there is no ductwork conecting them to the intake?". The answer I got back was, "They cool the brakes." HUH? YEP! The rep also added," The inlets are above the breaks so cool air can filter down to cool them." Now I know there is no way that cool air is ever going to reach the brakes from the hood driving forward backward or just standing still. Why they just didn't cover their butts and say something like, they could help let cool air into the engine bay and help exit some engine heat or something to that effect, is beyond me. Most of us who owned one of the original Challengers got rid of the plates from the scoops to do that. Especially if you were running headers. Has anybody else heard any other story about the "FULLY FNUCTIONAL HOOD INLETS"?
Old 04-01-2008, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fully Functional Hood Inlets?

Dodge first started using the term "fully functional hood scoops" for the Charger SRT.

It just means that cool air blows over the intake and exhaust manifolds. No ram air effect whatsoever. [:@]

Old 04-01-2008, 01:54 PM

I have ready almost exactly what Cuda340 has stated. The cooling for the front brakes comes from the inlets on the front air dam below the front bumper.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:15 PM

Do i hear "shaker with fully operable butterflies here"? Would be nice if they offered that in time.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

We've discussed this before, they cool the engine and that is it, no Ram Air unfortunately.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-01-2008, 06:20 PM

Well, they ARE fully functional. Air can get through a hole. That's a function. Truth in advertising is important.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:26 PM

[&:] OK, so they didn't define fully functional but, we all know what we thought it meant. Those slick devils...
Old 04-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

I guess they'd be analogous to louvered vents on the engine lid on a Super Beatle! Though, I wouldn't try to air cool that bad Hemi!

Old 04-01-2008, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Like I said in another thread, functional means a performance enhancement which this does not do.

I think we all initially thought it would certainly have a ram air effect into the throttle body. Oh well, certainly disappointed.

I did not like that Dodge did that. Aftermarket here I come.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:25 PM

I would be willing to pay $1,000 more for a functional shaker hood from the factory. Would any one else?

Quick Reply: Fully Functional Hood Inlets?