Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Help a noob out on the challenger

Old 08-08-2008, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a noob out on the challenger

Im possibly interested in a challenger.

Between the SRT and the R/T all I know is the SRT has a 6.1 and roughly 50hp more than the 5.7 but it costs $8k more

Id rather get a R/T and throw $2k into and have more HP than the 6.1

So what other differences are there?

Any cosmetic ones?
Old 08-08-2008, 09:35 PM

Default RE: Help a noob out on the challenger

There are quite a few differences.

SRT8 can be optioned with the Kicker sound system
Both Auto and Manual SRT8 get limited slip differential. Only manual R/T gets it.
SRT8 has the hood stripes, R/T has the hood-to-fender stripes
SRT8 has more aggressively bolstered seats
SRT8 has much better brakes, brembo brakes
SRT8 rear spoiler is black regardless of paint color, R/T is always color matched

I am sure there is much more that I am forgetting. It will take a lot more than $2k to get to the same features as the SRT8.

Then there is always the argument that any performance upgrades you make to the R/T can be made to the SRT8 to make it that much faster as well.

Only you can decide what is best for you. However, if you are even considering an SRT8 you might want to take it into serious consideration. If you check Charger forums and such you can see that there are a lot of people who were on the fence about R/T and SRT8, got the R/T, and later decided they HAD to have the SRT8 and were still upside down on their loan. The R/T is NOT a bad car, but it is neither an SRT8. You need to decide for yourself what you really want and can really afford.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:39 PM

Thanks for the info

Whats the mpg for the RT and the SRT8?

That could sway my vote if its a good difference
Old 08-08-2008, 10:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Venthos

If you check Charger forums and such you can see that there are a lot of people who were on the fence about R/T and SRT8, got the R/T, and later decided they HAD to have the SRT8 and were still upside down on their loan. The R/T is NOT a bad car, but it is neither an SRT8. You need to decide for yourself what you really want and can really afford.
Keep in mind though that was before the 5.7L got a power boost from 340 horsepower to 375 horsepower.

A cold air intake, better breathing exhaust, and a good software tune should easily boost the 5.7L above the 400 horsepower threshold.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:58 PM

you should go check out the thread called is the SRT really worth 11k more than the RT? It has all the answers. Also your getting hood stripes,2 more rpms, nicer rims, leather seats and some other stuff. MPG is barely different 13-14 on the srt and 15 on the rt
Old 08-09-2008, 01:07 PM

IMO......save your $$$ and get the R/T.

The new 5.7 HEMI for 2009 has more muscle than before and gets better gas MPG. The cylinder deactivation of the small HEMI is a great feature.

How much HP do you really need -is 375 HP enough??

The SRT8 rims are definitely nicer - but just wait until you have to replace those 20 inch tires....Hmmmmm......

I personally dislike the hood decal on the SRT8 model, I think the understated look of the R/T is classy. (Skip that weird short double stripe from the hood down the side - it is rediculous).

Yes, I agree that the brakes are defintely superior on the SRT8 model, but I am not so sure that anyone will really feel the difference in the seats. Besides, that weird fake suede in the center of the SRT8 seats will not wear very well, and IMO look bizarre.

Dollars for dollars, the R/T is a bargain and will bring you back more of your original cost when you sell down the road.

None of my comments are meant to insult or put down anyone that has bought the SRT8 - this is just my opinion to your inquiry.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:03 PM

Having the SRT8 I would have to say I would be one of those who would be kicking myself if I had the means o get the SRT8 and settled for less... IMHO
Old 08-09-2008, 09:31 PM

IMVHO SRT8 Limited Edition or ..................because there is 1st place and then there is ...... no harm meant..
Old 08-10-2008, 01:47 AM

Get yourself an SE and save a TON of money. You'll have enough to go on lots of road trips to see Mopar and Paladin.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:17 AM

Its been said enough time in different places. Get the car that YOU want and that will work for YOU. IMHO, the SRT8 is all of the car you could possibly want, the RT is lesser car with multi upgrade possibilities and the SE is your mothers car. MPG differences between the RT and SRT are just a few miles different but remember you will be horsing that 5.7 a bit more to do the work that 6.1 will do naturally and that will make that MPG difference nonexistent.

Quick Reply: Help a noob out on the challenger