Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

How will aerodynamic testing change the Challenger design?

Old 12-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How will aerodynamic testing change the Challenger design?

_R$_ , I thought that was a very good summary. You would make a great college physics professor.

I am hoping someone will be able to tell me the tweaks they probably made to the concept body for the production body to be ready.

Thanks for sharing about the spoiler.....I knew it would help but I suspect that was not the only tweak. Computer simulations really help
before you take it to the wind tunnel for final verification.

Maybe somebody at Dodge engineering will elaborate someday.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:54 AM

well i noticed that on the new challenger the grille is not recessed like on my 70 i am sure that makes a huge difference right there also my front valance is just a giant mouth that the air hits and goes through unlike the new challenger whose bumper has no gaps or holes in it
Old 01-03-2008, 09:56 PM

ORIGINAL: _R$_

I'm willing to bet 80% of the SRT Challenger owners will never have 'em over 115mph. I'll bet only 10% will push it to 140mph, and the last ten will have to know.

PS, the SRT-8 does have a spoiler. This creates more drag (through turbulence), less lift.
- Rich
count me in that last 10% [sm=burnout.gif]
Old 01-04-2008, 05:10 PM

well, I'm betting that I'm in the bottom 1% who would love to drive 'em fast, but as maturity has set into this old fart, I try and stay 80 and below. Sorry to be a downer, just realistic. I would love to be able to go that fast (140 and up, even 100), just no where to do it.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

This is exactly the type of information I would like to see on the Challenger:

The cooperative application of aerodynamic science and innovative styling led to aerodynamic improvements on the new Ram that resulted in an estimated coefficient of drag (Cd) of .422 for a crew cab 4x4 model – compared with a Cd of .463 for a 2008 Ram Quad Cab® 4x4 (and .42 for the original 1994 Dodge Ram!). Extensive wind-tunnel testing was conducted to hone the 2009 Dodge Ram’s exterior shape.

The shape of the front grille, hood, and exterior mirrors cuts wind resistance

A subtle circumferential notch near the rear edge of each outside mirror housing causes airflow (and dust or water, when present) to separate from the housing. This also helps keep the door glass clean

An air dam directs air flow around the vehicle to reduce drag, and cool the engine and air conditioning condenser

Full cut-line doors reduce wind noise and drag

A carefully developed curve at the leading edge of the windshield frame reduces drag

A raised lip on the cowl screen directs air flow and water toward the sides of the windshield

The cowl screen smoothes the airflow transition from hood to windshield, reducing turbulence and wind noise

Troughs created by windshield side moldings channel water over the roof rather than around to the side windows

Side windows offset from door frames were minimized to help reduce turbulence and wind noise

Side sills are lowered, extending the attached air flow and eliminating some underbody turbulence

The new front-end module has smaller gaps around head lamps to help aero performance

A large tailgate spoiler integrated into the sheet metal improves aerodynamic flow

Lowered windshield-wiper location improves visibility, as well as reduces wind noise and drag

Flush-fit fog-lamp pockets eliminate drag of fog lamps

Reduced wheel openings help decrease drag

Optimized ride heights provide aerodynamic efficiencies
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Paladin06

I have to disagree with that statement. We design, build CAD models and do wind tunnel testing of multi-million dollar airplanes and helicopters at Boeing everyday.

Our soon to be released Dream Liner the Boeing 787 was 100% CAD modeled and wind tunnel tested using computer software simulation. Once complete it will have completed design, R&D, flight simulation/wind tunnel testing, FAA certification and be in use quicker then any aircraft in history at a very reduced production schedule and cost.

What was the major time and cost savings, computer design and simulation.

Sorry, off my soap box.

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

When the Challenger concept car was introduced it had not actually had any aerodynamic testing done other than in simulations.

There is only so much software can do.

Any thoughts on how the cars design might change after some aerodynamic testing is done?

Any thermodynamics majors out there?

Jeremiah 29:11
Well fast forward to today from 2 years ago and we know now the answer to this question as wind tunnel testing did have major contributions to the Challenger.
Just goes to show you that while simulation software can save a lot of engineering time and money, it does have its limitations.

https://dodgechallenger.com/forums/fb.asp?m=29095