Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

I also just put my card back in my pocket

Old 02-13-2008, 04:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I also just put my card back in my pocket

hey guys, new poster here.

I am a massive fan of the new challenger and sooooo happy that they finally released it. I think its this reason alone that so many of us have been so quick to get our names down and deposits out on the allocation sheets at dealerships.

However, after you start coming back down to earth you start to realise a few things....

1) I dont really want an auto. Especially and auto that isnt shaped like a pistol grip and looks like it came out a honda accord.
2) I wonder what it would look like in white (vanishing point style) and maybe they will release a more attractive solid black finish.
3) Will they offer more power in 09?
4) Will that interior be revamped in the next batch? I.E a better goddamn steering wheel!! I can deal with grey boring leather and horrid plastic dash antics but gimme a proper 3 spoke muscle car steering wheel and a pistol grip shifter.
5) Think of the tuning parts i could buy for this car with the 20k dealers want over msrp just now.

When the retro styled mustang came out i held back and watched as many customers rushed and ordered their GT's, happy to pay an extra few $ over list just to satisfy their excitment going into overdrive. This initial euphoria soon wore off as Saleen released their S281 with a supercharger and then the Extreme with around 500hp. Ford then released the GT500 among a mass of aftermarket tuner produced mustangs with names such as "Dominator" "Warrior" etc etc with big chunky bodykits and 600hp supercharged motors.
Just 2 years after the initial launch there were a slew of highpowered stangs you could buy straight off a showroom floor new or used for around the same as the marked up price dealers were offering the original stang GT for!! I held out and got a nice S281 saleen in blue to fool around with for a year which i then traded for my current 99 Viper GTS.

I have a set picture in my head of my dream challenger. I would rather hold out and get the right car rather than have something id never be 100% happy with just for the sake of being the first guy on the block with the car.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:33 AM

Default RE: I also just put my card back in my pocket

Welcome aboard Stuntman. You don't happen to drive a black Nova or Charger do ya..?
Old 02-13-2008, 04:59 AM

I did...unfortunately those cars were written off thanks to some stupid drunk girls. Im in the market for some new muscle. Black on black of course
Old 02-13-2008, 05:35 AM

a 99 viper cool i heard that 2011 may be the last year for the viper
Old 02-13-2008, 05:43 AM

It will be sad to see the old girl go but to be honest, its not like dodge wont replace it with something cool.
My GTS is being sold just now so i have the cash handy to order my challenger and stockpile the parts i want to mod it with.
The 97-99 cars will always be remembered as the "proper" vipers. Ill miss my black/silver stripe car but may get another in '97 blue/white guise one day. Its a fast car but a V10 with supercar swoopy looks just aint real US muscle to me. Muscle is angular, mean and big block V8 powered
Old 02-13-2008, 06:30 AM

i think the challenger is gonna be it's replacement
Old 02-13-2008, 06:57 AM

Nice car and good choice on waiting on an '09 with a pistol grip.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:40 AM

nah the challenger wont replace it. Its not a corvette competitor. Its a retro-musclecar that all the big brands are adding to their lineup. Ford have the stang, chevy will have the camaro, pontiac will hopefully bring out a retro transam and dodge have the challenger.
These retro cars will have a mini horsepower war and eventually saturate the market with stupidly fast modern muscle that is perfectly fine for a guy like me who missed out on the scene the first time round in the 70's.

Vipers ,Vettes, Ford GT's etc are high end luxury cars aimed at taking on the Euro exotica so Dodge will no doubt come up with a new different model.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:38 AM

I think it's safe to say you can write off Pontiac as ever playing in the "muscle car wars" ever again - a revived Firebird/Trans Am ain't gonna happen. Pontiac seems too wrapped up in cars like the new G8 to ever consider the idea of a new F-body, despite obvious demand for one.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:48 AM

Exactly...look at all the success they had with the GTO (2004 - 2006)...Pontiac sucks!
ORIGINAL: Yankee

I think it's safe to say you can write off Pontiac as ever playing in the "muscle car wars" ever again - a revived Firebird/Trans Am ain't gonna happen. Pontiac seems too wrapped up in cars like the new G8 to ever consider the idea of a new F-body, despite obvious demand for one.

Quick Reply: I also just put my card back in my pocket