Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Idle speculation: Silver the most valuable color?

Old 03-28-2008, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle speculation: Silver the most valuable color?

With colors being the hot topic at present, a strange thought came to me today: If there is a future collector market for these cars, will the 08 Silver SRT be the most valuable? Silver is the color that almost everyone ignores, scoffs at, says they would not consider. That means they will be RARE in 30 years. Scarcity = High collector price. Obviously this is completely speculative, and I don't even advocate thinking about a car as an investment, because the collector market is so unpredictable. As a side note, having seen it in person, silver does look nice on the car. It's plain in photos, but looks very nice in person.

Feel free to laugh and make fun if you like, because I'm only about 50% serious. I'm not getting an 08, and I'm probably getting Black, though I'd consider SubLime if it happens.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:01 PM

Default RE: Idle speculation: Silver the most valuable color?

not sure that these cars will reach the collector status of the originals... back in the day, most folks had one car, they took out a 2 or 3 year loan, and traded it in when it was paid for..the few that survived daily driving status are still around... today most of the Challengers sold will probably be a second car, will have a much better life, and will survive... too many people will buy one and store it away so in 30 years we will have a lot of no-mile or low-mile cars.... this will keep the value down... (ask anybody who bought a 1978 Corvette Pace car new and never drove it thinking it would make them rich...)

if I am wrong I hope you are 100% right about the silver!!!
Old 03-28-2008, 02:43 PM

Points well taken. I actually agree that the collector market will never be as crazy for these cars. I'd say they'll hold value well, based on the overall awesomeness of the car, but I doubt we'll see them selling at the Barrett Jackson deep pockets extravaganza for hundreds of thousands. (although of course it already happened once*...)

Did you get the Silver? (guessing so b/c of your last comment)

*Citation:
http://jalopnik.com/346946/barrett jackson-first-2008-dodge-challenger-srt8-off-the-line-sells-at-auction-for-400000
Old 03-28-2008, 04:22 PM

Felt compelled to weigh in!! Tupperware you hit the nail on the head. I am a mopar collector and have been one for 35 years, bought most of my cars in the late 70's early 80's when they were worthless. (IE my 70 Challenger 340 conv. FY1 For $3500 or 71 Cuda’ conv for $3300) Didn’t buy them to get rich, bought them because I loved the style and power. What makes the old ones rare is that they were….Joe Dirt cars…which I guess makes me….Anyway a lot of them never survived. Especially since they rusted almost instantly so a real nice used one, that hadn’t been “Modified” or abused to the point of being junk, cost an unbelievable +$3000 in 78-84. I always hold up the 78 Pace Car as the reason you never by a car and put it in a bubble, might as well take the money and go to Vegas. Having said all this, I love this new Challenger. Is it perfect?….no, but I guarantee you if this had rolled out in 1975 as the follow on to the original, it would have been well received (I am referring to the styling only, wouldn’t want to freak out the old hippies with all this modern technology) Would not recommend buying this car for an investment, but huh!!!!… the style and power look hauntingly familiar... so like a moth to a flame I’ll be getting in line.(Waiting to get a convertible 2010)

SuperBleu (~72 340 TB3~)
Old 03-28-2008, 04:31 PM

"IE my 70 Challenger 340 conv. FY1 For $3500 or 71 Cuda’ conv for $3300"

If we knew then what we know now right? Of course I wasn't even walking when you bought them but still. Even 5 years ago when I got my first car they were worth substantially less than they are now. Whenever I see something worth a ton of money I wish I could go back in time and buy it. . . but then I realize if I could go back in time I'd just pick some winning lottery numbers =P
Old 03-28-2008, 04:57 PM

Rarity does not always equal desirability.

While I have nothing against silver, it's never been on my list as a "must have" color. I really can't see it adding any value to any car, be it an SRT or whatever. Since the Challengers aren't out just yet, to use the Charger SRT8 as an example, I see Inferno Red as a possible collector color, mostly because they only used it on 2006 - in 07 they replaced it with the inferior and much less desirable TorRed (IMHO), although they did keep Inferno Red as an option on the 300 SRT8.

A Plum Crazy SRT8 will definitely have some collector value, as I'm sure will the Detonator Yellow and Surf Blue Super Bees... but the regular colors, TorRed Silver and Black, I really can't see as having any infinite collector value at all.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:43 PM

I agree w/ Tupperware. It is way too hard to predict 30+ years out and I frankly believe (you can shoot me) that there will be too many of this cars, identically equipped to make much of a market. The stuff Barrett Jackson does for top dollar are truly very limited production number cars and usually oddity of some sort (because you could order it uniquely) and it somehow survived. All those elements add up to collectabilty.

That said, I suspect Silver ones will be more unique (less of them), but who knows how that will convert to "desirability" as Yankee said. Ford has some modern day examples now with the 2001 Bullitt mustangs of which the Blue was least produced as well as the Red Marauder in '04. Well have to see. Hell, who knows if they'll even have "fuel pills" 30 years from now to run these puppies
Old 03-28-2008, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my Challenger in 1979 for $450.00. 318 V-8 2 bbl, 904 auto on the column, power disc brakes, air cond. gold w a black vinyle top. It had magnum 500 and white letter tires. It was a nice car. Also bought my 1970 GTX in 1981 for $1100.00 440-4bbl 727 automatic on the floor console, air cond, deep burnt orange with a black vinyle top and magnum 500 with white letter tires. I wish I could of left them stock... but who knew? The Challenger is what you see now a VP clone and the GTX is 80% original. I just bought them because Dodge had stoped making cars I wanted. And now they are back to making cars I want. I paid a lot of bucks to drive these gas hogs all these 30+ years, but I have enjoyed the drive they have given me I'd only buy to own and drive. As an investment... well thats a big risk to take. I just stayed with what I liked and waited while the USA made a 360 and came back in my direction. I feel this won't last long, so get if you can and drive them often.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Thor77

Did you get the Silver? (guessing so b/c of your last comment)
yes I did... I am too lazy for a black car and the other 51% of the 'committee' said NO ORANGE.... (its a good thing I like silver, isnt it??)