Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Inflation Calculator

Old 05-01-2007, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inflation Calculator

From reading some of the posts it looks like some people are off with their math. So I’ve included a link to an inflation calculator so you can all see what a 1970’s challenger would actually cost in today’s dollars.

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

As you can see, future Challengers are going to be overpriced.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:52 AM

Default RE: Inflation Calculator

According to your calculator, a 1967 Camaro SS with the 396 cu.in., 375 hp motor, which was originally sold for $3,046.00 would cost $18,727.61 in 2007 dollars! That's about $2,300.00 LESS than a loaded Kia Optima!
I don't care WHERE you're from, THAT'S ONE HELLUVA GOOD PRICE on one HELLUVA FAST CAR!
Details/prices on the 1967 Camaro found here: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1967-chevrolet-camaro-ss-396.htm

Likewise, the calculator indicates that I should be able to build a house like my parents built for $28,900.00 in 1971 for $146,535.13 now.
ANOTHER AMAZING DEAL! Where can I buy ten of them at that price? I'll resell them (at 5% UNDER ACTUAL 2007 value) and retire a few years earlier than previously planned!

I think the calculator has a couple of wires crossed, Bud.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:12 AM

Yeah. I believe that thing's based on the Consumer Price Index, which conveniently ignores things like taxes, licenses and fees -- such as the "gas guzzler" tax -- that are a very big part of real life. Also, a lot of it is based on select items in grocery stores which may or may not be representative of what you actually purchase week after week. Probably if the actual rate of inflation ever were published -- if it could even be accurately figured out -- consumers would be shocked how much less each dollar they have is worth from year to year .
Old 05-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

The problem with this is this fails to take into account the expense of the technology upgrades as well. This has options people back then could only dream of. A loaded Challenger has more luxuries and options than the best luxury cars had back in the 70s. This car is significantly safer than the Challenger of back then due to the newer safety features. The list could go on forever. The Challenger is not going to be cheap because it is a premium/superior product, period. Let it go.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts