Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Interesting Proposition

Old 04-17-2008, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Interesting Proposition

They do emissions tests in the metropolitan parts of Illinois only, see:

http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/vim/faq/testing.html#1

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

ORIGINAL: 1 Bad Mirada

cruise control adds no weight...its all in the computer, and maybe an extra switch. manual nonheated seats would be one option that would cut some weight...and i would be pretty surprised to see a challenger offered with manual windows.

stroken56, emissions laws vary place to place...in michigan, i know lots of people who dont own a vehicle with a catalytic convertor on it...in PA, if your car doesnt have the same exhaust configuration as it did stock, its not eligible for testing, and on vehicles 95 and newer (OBDII) its very difficult to "swap engines", and its almost impossible to pass an emissions test with a different engine than came stock.
Honestly, manual windows are extremely rare these days. They are about as rare as a car without air conditioning, perhaps even more rare than that. The problem is if you don't offer that, you will be chastised for it by the press. Plus it might add to the cost because they would probably have to add another hole in the door panel and make the mechanism. I doubt they designed it with the intention of offering that.

I don't know the laws down where I live by heart, but here is what I know. A friend of mine removed the catalytic converters on his Mazda and he got into serious trouble even though they don't do emission tests on the cars in IL. In Missouri, they do have emission tests so that could be a problem if I wanted to do that, which I honestly would rather bite the bullet and get the model with the engine that I want.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:14 PM

Hey fellas it's been a little while..... im looking at spending around 26k-28k on my next car.
1) 2003 Chevy corvette- drop-top
2) 2006 Pontiac GTO
3) 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T
Now we all know about how fast these cars are, I really don't care too much for the SRT sedans out now. The new SRT Challenger is just plain out of the price range. I wish I could get one but it's so unrealistic for me. Honestly what's going through my head right now is madness, I have almost know Idea what I want. Wish me luck...
Old 04-21-2008, 09:34 PM

I don't think you'll have much luck getting a challenger r/t for 28k unless you're willing to wait a year or 2.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:21 PM

Be real here. You will have a no number matching junk box. At some time you will need to sell this car. Just bite the bullit or buy a used Porsche.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

If you're such a Porshy enthusiast, why are you on a Dodge Challenger site?

I have a friend who has a Boxter, not sure why he got it, he weighs more than me and I'm 260 at 6'3" and he's at just under 6' (so he's a bit wide of girth), I laughed at him and told him I was going to get a grown man sized car, as I found I had to squeeze into his Porshy and if you drop that kind of coin, you oughta be comfortable.

As far as a real car from a real company.......a German company bought a profitable American car company mis-managed the heck out of it and dropped like a used .....up tube of tooth paste....

Porshy's are fine cars, but you get more w/ good old fashioned Canadian built American Cars.

https://dodgechallenger.com/forums/m_32353/tm.htm

Old 05-06-2008, 08:36 PM

it's definatly possible, and if any of us were going to do the work I don't think we would worried if the numbers match....but on the other hand this new 5.7 rated at 370hp has plenty of potential to acced the 6.1 with just bolt-on after-market stuff.
So if your really worried about numbers I think the SRT cars are the only ones to really hold any value over time.... Until the special addition R/T's come out which they will and even then who wouldn't do minor work to those...
SRT's seem to be what the old Challenger R/T's truly were... a rich boys toy and i've read that in plenty of classic car mags not really my stero-type but you can't argue with it too much. Im not knocking you SRT guys if I made another 10k a year i'd be seriously considering buying one too. But being 23 I really don't think I can appreciate the car for the price, if you know what I mean. It's def bad-ass but ...... wait till i get my R/T and drop a couple G's into it. I'm not worried about re-sale in 5 or 10 years that's for sure. Not buying it for that. I want to have a little fun with it. Im not an alcholic or a smoker so why not spend my money on gas
Old 05-07-2008, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

Can't think of a more appreciable vice, MrKS! Why not on gas as opposed the other items mentioned. As long as you're not endangering other motorists....have at it!

I was totally SRT initially, as more details avail themselves the RT is looking more attractive.

I don't intend to sell this car ever, so I think having easily reversible mods or "approved" mods to the engine coupled w/ the lifetime powertrain warranty is an attractive proposition provided Chrysler starts making attractive cars that also meet a wider and deeper product need.

They should hire some radical minded types for each product segment they have, and this person's job should be to annoy the practical minded "we can't do that" crowd steering each product. Skunk Works for each product, people who will state when some design is vapid or demand better performance per CID or better gas mileage...

It still blows me away about the gas mileage of my old 80's Plymouth is better by far than the intended product in that niche right now....29 to the highway? Really is that the best they can do? Ponderous.....sorry I'm straying....

I like the idea of tweaking this jammy, it'll be fun.....again...love sleepers and surprises......

Old 05-07-2008, 06:30 AM

My personal opinion, and I really wish I could afford to do it, would be to take a 09 Challenger and drop in a Viper ACR motor. I know it would take some work and be very expensive, but I think that would be a totally awesome sleeper mod there. With the 8.4L/600-hp/560-lb-ft OHV 20-valve V-10 motor there would be a ton of torque and pulling power all the way from stop to top end. I think that Challenger would flat fly if it had wings then.