Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

NEW EXHAUST FOR MY 2009 R/T

Old 09-10-2008, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW EXHAUST FOR MY 2009 R/T

Now this car sounds like it should !!!

I had the resonators removed and replaced the sections with pipe and reattached the stock tips.

We removed the "suitcase" double muffler box and installed MAGNAFLOWS.

Boy, what an improvement. Great rumble at idle, outrageous sound when you "get on it".

WEIGHT SAVINGS: The factory stuff is about 80 pounds, the new mufflers & pipes weighs less than 30 pounds.

(I tried the Flowmaster Series 44 and the droning sound inside the car was way too much to like)

The whole cost for this dramatic upgrade? Less than $400.

My recommendation is: GO FOR IT - rip out the factory exhaust system and make this dog howl.

There is no doubt at a stoplight, somene will now be sure to ask" that thing got a hemi?"

(I did not take a camera to the muffler shop so there are no pix sorry)

Old 09-10-2008, 08:07 AM

Default RE: NEW EXHAUST FOR MY 2009 R/T

73Challenger, I have a 2009 R/T on order and I don't know when it will come but I know the first thing I want to do is change the exhaust. Could you please give me some info as to what number Magnaflow mufflers you ended up using and was the pipes sections just straight peaces of pipe, and did you have a custom performance shop do it or a place like Minekie or Midas do the work? I'm also considering the Zoomers they talk about on here and I hear that SLP has a LOUD MOUTH system thats really good but both of those are pretty expensive. What I'd like to end up with is a very loud rumbly sound even at idle which is what you said. Any info you could give would be appreciated a lot, Thanks Fat Cat[sm=gears.gif]
ORIGINAL: 73Challenger

Now this car sounds like it should !!!

I had the resonators removed and replaced the sections with pipe and reattached the stock tips.

We removed the "suitcase" double muffler box and installed MAGNAFLOWS.

Boy, what an improvement. Great rumble at idle, outrageous sound when you "get on it".

WEIGHT SAVINGS: The factory stuff is about 80 pounds, the new mufflers & pipes weighs less than 30 pounds.

(I treied the Flowmaster Series 44 and the droning sound inside the car was way too much to like)

The whole cost for this dramatic upgrade? Less than $400.

My recommendation is: GO FOR IT - rip out the factory exhaust system and make this dog howl.

There is no doubt at a stoplight, somene will now be sure to ask" that thing got a hemi?"

(I did not take a camera to the muffler shop so there are no pix sorry)

Old 09-10-2008, 08:19 AM

I know I might get some heckling for this but here goes...

Anyone thought of simply cutting out the suitcase mffler... replace with an appropriate length set of glasspacks... cut out the resonator and replace with short piece of pipe and reinstall stock tips??

Might be a very CHEAP way to get some sound out of The Car... and who knows... might sound as good as a $1200 cat-back system.

Anyone willing to give it a try?

Who knows... maybe I will just to see...
Old 09-10-2008, 08:42 AM

Magnaflows sound amazing, how did those guys at caribe do? they usually do great work.
Oh and slp is what I am getting, those thigs scream louder than anything I have ever heard.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:19 AM

I am not sure which exact model MAGNAFLOW mufflers were installed, but I beleive they were the "universals" in satin stainless steel.

The guys at Caribe Muffler on Bird Road in Miami are the old reliables. NOBODY does custom exhaust work like they do.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:43 AM

ORIGINAL: mopar2ya
Anyone thought of simply cutting out the suitcase mffler... replace with an appropriate length set of glasspacks... cut out the resonator and replace with short piece of pipe and reinstall stock tips??

Might be a very CHEAP way to get some sound out of The Car... and who knows... might sound as good as a $1200 cat-back system. Anyone willing to give it a try? Who knows... maybe I will just to see...
MOPAR2YA that's pretty much what I did, but used the MAGNAFLOW mufflers instead of glasspacks.

I am sure that ZOOMERS are terrific, but my cost was pretty reasonable for the results I am getting.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:03 AM

That is what I was thinking of doing but I was leaning toward Flowmasters. The Magnaflows I have heard it he past have always seemed quite to me. I would be keen to hear what yours sounds like.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:07 PM

i have on order the magnaflow system it was 900 dollars i think thats a little much for an exhaust and they have another one thats 1800 dollars. lol
Old 09-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Does anybody with a 5.7L MDS Challenger replaced their exhaust system with a Zoomer or other and then ran it on the highway when the MDS kicks in.

I am wondering how the 5.7L engine sounds since running on 4 cylinders an a custom exhaust system without resonators will probably not sound good.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

Does anybody with a 5.7L MDS Challenger replaced their exhaust system with a Zoomer or other and then ran it on the highway when the MDS kicks in.

I am wondering how the 5.7L engine sounds since running on 4 cylinders an a custom exhaust system without resonators will probably not sound good.

TO BE TRUTHFUL, I CANNOT TELL WHEN THE MDS SYSTEM IS WORKING OR NOT.

THE OWNERS MANUAL SAYS THAT WHEN THE MDS KICKS IN, THE DISPLAY WILL SAY" FUEL SAVING" ABOVE THE AVERAGE MPG READING. I HAVE YET TO SEE THIS MESSAGE SHOW UP ON T HE DISPLAY.

HOW DO I KNOW WHETHER THE MDS SYSTEM IS EVEN WORKING????

THE MAGNAFLOW MUFFLERS SOUND SPECTACULAR WITH THIS ENGINE.

Quick Reply: NEW EXHAUST FOR MY 2009 R/T