Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   General Dodge Challenger Discussions (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/)
-   -   POLL: First on the Block, or Wait for a Good Price (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/poll-first-block-wait-good-price-1302/)

awsure 12-26-2007 11:04 AM

RE: POLL: First on the Block, or Wait for a Good Price

That's certainly a fair statement & I say kudos to Mustang for its longevity. It's high time they had some competition for those dollars people pony up (sorry...could not resist).[8D]

I have already seen an ad for significant discounting of Mustangs this year though. You know they are going to get hit by Challenger and Camaro in the next few years. They know it too.

JJMPB 12-26-2007 11:59 AM

you see discounts for mustangs because after the 05 model year sales have been dropping steadily

Jeremiah 29:11 12-26-2007 01:21 PM

Not to be a jerk - but Mustang was introduced to the public at the New York World's Fair on April 17, 1964 and has NEVER ceased production! Unlike it's two biggest wannabe "competitors" / challengers....
I would hope that you would think I was a little smarter than that.

What I am referring to is the new model year 2009 Mustang, then of course you have the newly designed 2010 model on the horizon.

Albeeno 12-27-2007 05:13 AM

Of course I do...I just found your statement somewhat amusing, that's all. :D

I can't wait to see what the intro of the Challenger and Camaro do to price of specialty Mustangs; more specifically the Shelby GT and Shelby GT500. In 2009 if you can get a GT500 for the same price (give or take) as an SRT-8 Challenger, I guarantee that takes a huge chunk out of potential Challenger buyers! Which means more units available for us...at a reasonable price! Dontcha just love competition? God Bless America!!! That might just be wishful thinking however because I don't see any let-up in sight for the $10-$20k markups the stealerships are STILL getting for the GT500s! I was on ebay yesterday and saw an `07 GT500 convertible going for $56k+! WTF???

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

Not to be a jerk - but Mustang was introduced to the public at the New York World's Fair on April 17, 1964 and has NEVER ceased production! Unlike it's two biggest wannabe "competitors" / challengers....

What I am referring to is the new model year 2009 Mustang, then of course you have the newly designed 2010 model on the horizon.

Chris 12-27-2007 05:33 AM

ORIGINAL: Albeeno

Of course I do...I just found your statement somewhat amusing, that's all. :D

I can't wait to see what the intro of the Challenger and Camaro do to price of specialty Mustangs; more specifically the Shelby GT and Shelby GT500. In 2009 if you can get a GT500 for the same price (give or take) as an SRT-8 Challenger, I guarantee that takes a huge chunk out of potential Challenger buyers! Which means more units available for us...at a reasonable price! Dontcha just love competition? God Bless America!!! That might just be wishful thinking however because I don't see any let-up in sight for the $10-$20k markups the stealerships are STILL getting for the GT500s! I was on ebay yesterday and saw an `07 GT500 convertible going for $56k+! WTF???

With gas prices through the roof, a possible recession on the way, the intro of the GT500KR and the Super Snake, and the aging of the current Mustang model and imminent Mustang update for 2010, the prices of the gt500 mustangs should come down even if Challenger and Camaro weren't coming soon. it's crazy that a GT500 convertible costs almost as much as three base model Mustangs. Now if only Ford could make the Taurus and Focus as popular as the GT500...

One thing is for certain, it's good to be a car guy nowadays. There's a bunch of good, fast cars out or coming very soon, not just from the US but from Germany and Japan too.

JJMPB 12-28-2007 05:33 AM

with the world the way it is now i just can't see this muscle car resurgance lasting anymore than 5 years

Jeremiah 29:11 12-28-2007 06:37 AM

Yep, and I agree except I think we may not see but 3 years of muscle cars wars.

History sure does repeat itself.

mopar2ya 12-31-2007 07:34 AM

Kind of what I've been pondering as well. I am thinking just by the nature of economics and such that the bulk of support for the new muscle car era will likely be 3 to 5 years. Nothing to base it on other than just a gut feel and historic observation. Insurance costs, fuel prices, government meddling, the pending "go green" initiatives and general state of the economy will probably cut things short is my guess. Leads me to question whether one outta get while the gettin' is hot, or wait for things to really die down?

Jeremiah 29:11 12-31-2007 08:49 AM

I will plan to get a 2009 model either next Christmas or a 2010 model. I think the 2010 will be an LY chassis.

If I suspect the economy is going good I will get a 2010. I am hoping that another
special edition will come out that will catch my eye.

Kind of like the GT500KR, Shelby, etc..

claymore 12-31-2007 11:44 AM

As far as the poll is concerned......I don't mean to be rude, but..............................some people have too much time on their hands.

dionvos 01-01-2008 11:39 AM

I AM A NEW MEMBER AND ENJOY YOUR POSTS ABOUT HOW MUCH TO PAY FOR THE NEW CHALLENGER. I THOUGHT I WOULD SHED A LITTLE LIGHT ON WHAT I KNOW. I HAVE EMAILED NEARLY EVERY DODGE DEALER IN THE US CHECKING AVAILABILITY AND PRICING. BASED ON THE ONES THAT REPLIED I ESTIMATE NEARLY HALF OF THE 2008 MODELS ARE SOLD. I KNOW THAT DODGE IS ONLY GOING TO BUILD 45OO 2008 SRT8 IN ORANGE, SILVER, AND BLACK WITH ONLY THREE OPTIONS AVAILABLE AND THEY ARE MYGIG NAVIGATION, SUNROOF, AND PERVORMANCE TIRES. THERE ARE A LOT OF DEALERS OUT THERE THAT ARE MISINFORMED OR THEY ARE PROMISING PEOPLE VEHICLES THAT I BELIEVE WILL NOT GET BUILT OR WILL ROLL INTO A 2009 MODEL AND WILL NOT BE AS VALUABLE BECAUSE THE PRODUCTION WILL BE HIGHER. SO BE CAREFUL. I ALWAYS ASKED IF THE FIRST ONE WAS AVAILABLE BECAUSE I WOULD NOT WANT TO BE 2ND, 3RD, AND SO ON. BECAUSE EACH DEALER IS ONLY GUARANTEED ONE. I DO NOT KNOW HOW MANY DODGE DEALERS THERE ARE IN THE US BUT I HAVE BEEN TOLD AROUND 3200, BUT THAT HAS NOT BEEN CONFIRMED. SO THAT MEANS A FEW DEALERS WILL GET 2. I SAW PRICES FROM MSRP-$100000. A LOADED ONE STICKERS FOR $41985 GIVE OR TAKE. MY ESTIMATION ON MY EMAIL REPLIES IS THAT MOST ARE AVERAGING $10000-$20000 OVER STICKER. SOME OF THIS IS ASKING PRICE AND SOME HAVE STATED THAT WAS WHAT THEY SOLD FOR. THE HIGHEST I GOT WAS SOMEONE HAD AN OFFER OF $40000 OVER STICKER. I HAVE SAVED MOST OF MY EMAILS AND STILL HAVE THEM COMING IN. I WOULD LIKE TO MENTION MOST I FOUND ARE ORANGE, THAN BLACK, THAN SILVER. SO EXPECT TO PAY ABOVE STICKER IF YOU WANT A 2008 MODEL.

Justinec101 01-01-2008 01:13 PM

Please don't type in all caps it's reaaaally hard to read.

BootCamp 01-01-2008 01:30 PM

Don't want a 2008 Challenger - auto only, 6.1L SRT8 only, haven't even seen the car yet, MSRP+$$$......
Nah, I'll wait for a 2009 Challenger and order it the way I want it.

- BTW.....caps are like "shouting" in a forum.;)

dionvos 01-01-2008 02:30 PM

hundreds of hours of research and bringing it to you and all you can say is don't write in all caps?

BootCamp 01-01-2008 03:06 PM

ORIGINAL: dionvos

hundreds of hours of research and bringing it to you and all you can say is don't write in all caps?
Don't take this the wrong way, but everything you wrote has been discussed in here already. It would seem we've "shared" the "hundreds of hours of research" you did and came up with the same info you did ...... and much more. Many of us have emailed dealerships, Dodge, friends who work at dealerships / Dodge / BAP .......name it. We have some VERY good inside information.

4500 Challengers in 2008 - maybe. Dodge never came out with any firm numbers publicly EXCEPT to say the number would be under 10,000. So anything from 4,500 to 9,999 is possible.
Up to MSRP + $40,000 = already discussed this too. Most are waiting until 2009 when production numbers are much higher, options are more plentiful, and the car can be bought at MSRP or less.
Options on the 2008 Challenger: also already discussed in here and available at dodge.com and redletterdodge.com, as well as pictures (spy shots - coutesy/controlled by Dodge) of the 2008 production car.

If you want to save yourself a lot of untold hours researching the Challenger, look in this forum, check out current and older threads, and you'll find out FAR more than ANY dealer can tell you about it.

SheriffTankStoner 01-16-2008 04:41 AM

I would wait at least 3 years to buy a 2008 model. I have a 2002 Chrysler Sebring LX Hardtop coupe that I'll be making payments on until at least 2010. I know the Challenger's base price is just above 40K USD. I have a feeling with subsequent model years the base price will go down some due to want of more buyers. By the time I trade my Sebring in the trade value will be no more than 2500 dollars. And I expect the Challenger will have a minimal depreciation rate which means that price used will be right around price new if not higher. I just wonder why it's so high in cost. 40k is just a little too much. If it were 30K or 35K I'd see more buyers. I hope with the existing base price dodge knows what they're doing.

Justinec101 01-16-2008 12:19 PM

That's the base price for the srt model. . . there will be an r/t and a v6 for under 30k. The actual price is 37,995 but there's a 2100 gas guzzler tax.

I think dodge needs to hurry up and say something about the other models because I keep seeing people think the 40k model is the ONLY model and it's probably turning people away.

SheriffTankStoner 01-16-2008 01:07 PM

In that case I hope to get an r/t model, black on black with 251hp 5spd Autostick. I think the Challenger will sell great in states like Hawaii, California (unless one lives in the Gearknob areas like Truckee), Texas, Florida and Arizona where there's a much warmer climate and with RWD it may not be all that good in the snow. But I'm glad there are Challenger models under 30K. When I trade in my Sebring, Challenger (used or new) is what I'll be looking into unless Chrysler come out with a retro Roadrunner in the vein of the 1971-72 models. Thanks for the info

cncpt2prod! 01-16-2008 03:22 PM

No need to pay above MSPR. They're popping up all over on the spy pics. I'm betting late summer will abound with al kinds of Challengers!

Justinec101 01-16-2008 07:35 PM

If all you want is 251hp that'd be the V6 model. The r/t is supposed to have 380.

thenatural 01-19-2008 08:28 PM

I dont know about what will happen in the near future with these cars since the new stupid government gas standards... say goodby to all the big blocks!

JJMPB 01-20-2008 04:30 AM

say goodbye to all the v8's and v6's all you will have is 4cylinder hybrids

73Cuda340 01-20-2008 07:46 AM

So I had to ask my cousin whether there would be any incentives through Family and Friends Program. He said for the 2008/2009 vehicles there would be nothing. He implied there may be something for the 2010 production year like there was in the third year of the Charger. I hope the screen capture come through. It was sooo disappointing. 8^)

[IMG]local://upfiles/675/B0D4BBDB43F640E59D5C02890B18EAB7.gif[/IMG]

Jonathan Paulk 01-22-2008 01:39 PM

I hope they build them atleast until 2010, order mine through AAFES in Germany when I pay off my wife's car. Order it just the way I want it; not many options, big motor and auto....thinking about a convertible in yellow, black top/interior....

awsure 01-22-2008 11:18 PM

Bummer...I have family in the car "dealer" business which, in this case, I think might help me. first he can pull strings just to get me one and hopefully at or damn near MSRP. The other thing I am debating is buying it thru my brothers equipment holding company that leases back to his sister company. He has it structured so he can buy tax free and if legit I am going to pursue that. I am no CPA so not sure if it is on the up & up but that would save me a few duckets!

Justice 04-01-2008 04:04 PM

MSRP or less... Not a dime over. Invoice for the 08 srt8 is slightly shy of 38k. So there you go...

I went to the stealership today to inquire about a white r/t with 6 speed manual. They did not have any information other than the website (they did have a neat 2009 folder which I got), but they did tell me the mark-up above sticker would be 5-15k for the regular 2009's, and I even heard a whopping 25k for the 2008 limted edition srt8's. And the bad thing is people are paying that just to be the first on the block. People sure are stupid, but if 25k extra didn't phase me I would be just as stupid. It's all about who has the cash and who doesn't. The have-nots will always be screwed. And like all have-nots I complain about it too...

RRUNNER 04-01-2008 04:11 PM

Don't forget about the $2100 gas guzzler tax, bringing the total to $40095.

1971cuda convert 04-01-2008 06:23 PM

I understand the money does have alot to do with it .But I have waited years and wont have to wait much longer .I had to pay alittle over 10% over sticker but I will really enjoy the summer just geting out to the shows talking to people and relaxing .In todays age its not often we get to do things we wait years far so if it cost alittle more to me thats ok .I understand its not for everyone and there are budgets and things to look at .But I think the sales are going to be strong for awhile and Im not willing to wait another year personaly .

DK challenger 04-04-2008 07:16 AM

I will have to wait until MSRP to be able to afford the Beast.:(

capital classic cars 04-06-2008 04:42 PM

I can certainly understand not wanting to pay MSRP or above, but realistically we all need to understand that since the 2008 challenger is a limited production car, as well as the first year back in production, they will all fetch a "hefty" sale price. As far as the 09's go they will be no where near as "collectable" as an 08 is, because there will be three version available which will mean huge production numbers. In addition, the Hemi Orange is not an option for the 09's according to Dodge. It is an 08 color only. Face the facts, first year back, low production,and a one year color, means "COLLECTABLE" which never means cheap. Thats why 1970 and 1971 "HEMI" Cuda's bring huge dollars and 1972 up Cuda's are a dime a dozen in comparison because the Hemi's were never available after 1971, again rare cars bring huge dollars because of the collectability. No way to get around the facts................Supply and Demand, as always.

Jeremiah 29:11 04-06-2008 05:30 PM

I can certainly understand not wanting to pay MSRP or above, but realistically we all need to understand that since the 2008 challenger is a limited production car, as well as the first year back in production, they will all fetch a "hefty" sale price. As far as the 09's go they will be no where near as "collectable" as an 08 is, because there will be three version available which will mean huge production numbers. In addition, the Hemi Orange is not an option for the 09's according to Dodge. It is an 08 color only. Face the facts, first year back, low production,and a one year color, means "COLLECTABLE" which never means cheap. Thats why 1970 and 1971 "HEMI" Cuda's bring huge dollars and 1972 up Cuda's are a dime a dozen in comparison because the Hemi's were never available after 1971, again rare cars bring huge dollars because of the collectability. No way to get around the facts................Supply and Demand, as always.
Tell us something that other dealers on this forum haven't said already. You think you are the first. That is an insult to our intelligence on your post #1.
Your post sounds like marketing 101 class for selling cars . :D

Sorry but I do not like dealers coming to our forum trying to tell us about what is a collectable or not (shear gambling) and then try to support why you sell way above MSRP.

Beside we knew this already. Most on this forum that are getting the 2008 have had theirs on order for a while. The others are waiting for the 2009/2010 models.

BTW- Please do not advertise your products without being in contact with our administrator 1BadMirada.

tupperware 04-06-2008 07:26 PM

ORIGINAL: capital classic cars
they will all fetch a "hefty" sale price.
I can not speak for the other 6,399, but I know of one '08 that is being sold at MSRP....

birddog 04-07-2008 09:37 AM

I'm paying 2500 over MSRP. I can understand a dealer wanting to make a little over MSRP, but not at the expense of a returning customer. I have purchased 3 cars from them in the last 18 months not counting the Challenger.

Billionaire 04-07-2008 11:47 AM

What were the 3 cars?

capital classic cars 04-07-2008 10:36 PM

First off I am "NOT" a dealer, I am an individual who collects cars. Something you must know nothing about. Get a grip ! ! You can quote all the scriptures you want till the cows come home, and you will impress KNOW ONE here. Go thump your bible somewhere else "Oh yee of little faith" the 6400 08's went to those that could AFFORD them..................not to the dreamers like you. See you in church...................NOT!

DSkippy 04-08-2008 10:28 AM

Capital Classic Cars, maybe some librium is in order? Why all the vitriol? How can you come into a place as a noob and begin espousing what will impress or not impress anyone here?

I'm a casual Christian. I believe in the tenets, but don't live the life I should as much I should. With that said, I take no offense to a good message.

If I were an atheist, I'd still not have the anger evident with you after two posts? Relax, chief. Play nice.

We're friends here who are allowed to disagree. As for Jeremiah's observation, your first post, honestly was kind of a stale declaration that is long in the tooth and addressed a while back. You're entitled to make it still, we should all be peers here, but a it is a bit of a re-hash.

For the record, the last time we discussed this at length (and the numerous re-visitations to the subject), I took your position.

The fair price for any commodity is exactly (not less, not more) than the lowest price ANYONE is willing to pay for it. While this is rudimentary Economics 101, it is the beauty and one of the mainstays this country's legacy is founded on. Free speech, free religion, and free trade.

I think only time will tell if this is a collector, I think all things point to it. First year production, first model of the last wave of a dieing breed, I think anyone would be hard pressed to argue there will be more people willing to pay more than MSRP as the lowest price.

This doesn't upset me or make me happy, just an observation. I'll get mine, they'll make enough. The 08 appeals to me nada (not National Auto Dealers Association or Kelly's Blue Book for that fact either), no stick...no love...no 08. :-)

Justice 04-11-2008 08:24 AM

ORIGINAL: capital classic cars

First off I am "NOT" a dealer, I am an individual who collects cars. Something you must know nothing about. Get a grip ! ! You can quote all the scriptures you want till the cows come home, and you will impress KNOW ONE here. Go thump your bible somewhere else "Oh yee of little faith" the 6400 08's went to those that could AFFORD them..................not to the dreamers like you. See you in church...................NOT!
It's rich pricks like you that make life when it comes to buying cars misrable. Paying because you can doesn't mean you should. But then again, if I had money to burn I would do the exact same thing. Screw the poor guy, I get what I want. ;)

capital classic cars 04-11-2008 05:30 PM

Whers's the love Bro........................I see your point, and we'll just have to agree to disagee, that's what makes this a free country. And while being wealthy makes a person no "better" than someone else, it also makes us no "worse" than someone else. Did you hear that JUSTICE FOR ALL ? ? ?

BILLBRASKY 04-12-2008 11:16 AM

Nice high horse?

BILLBRASKY 04-12-2008 11:17 AM

Tell us something that other dealers on this forum haven't said already. You think you are the first. That is an insult to our intelligence on your post #1.
Your post sounds like marketing 101 class for selling cars . :D

Sorry but I do not like dealers coming to our forum trying to tell us about what is a collectable or not (shear gambling) and then try to support why you sell way above MSRP.

Beside we knew this already. Most on this forum that are getting the 2008 have had theirs on order for a while. The others are waiting for the 2009/2010 models.

BTW- Please do not advertise your products without being in contact with our administrator 1BadMirada.

Under your religion why would you post such a thing shouldnt you be more understanding ?
So typical!

Nice high horse?