Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   General Dodge Challenger Discussions (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/)
-   -   prices! (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/prices-361/)

tamihottes 07-09-2006 10:58 AM

prices!

Any idea what the price of the fastest Challeger will be?

orkork 07-09-2006 02:23 PM

RE: prices!

Fast? Challengers arnt about fast, its about a "today" car gone classic minds eye look! and besides, the fastest you can go is 70 on the freeway, so you will never really be able to see how fast it goes. and pricing hasnt been released yet, but its on a charger/300/magnum chassis, so a bit up from that. its all guesses now

GENX_HEMI9 07-09-2006 06:44 PM

ORIGINAL: orkork

Fast? Challengers arnt about fast, its about a "today" car gone classic minds eye look! and besides, the fastest you can go is 70 on the freeway, so you will never really be able to see how fast it goes. and pricing hasnt been released yet, but its on a charger/300/magnum chassis, so a bit up from that. its all guesses now

Ok what world do you live in? anyways the SRT8 models are around the high 30's to low 40's just look at the charger pricing you can expect it to be similar. LOL fastest you can go is 70 my corolla goes 110!!!

wallstreetman 07-10-2006 11:41 AM

Your Corolla goes 110 and my 1990 Corolla GTS has been to 130, I never tried to hit the speedos 150 yet. This car is stock!

wallstreetman 07-10-2006 11:42 AM

LOL

GENX_HEMI9 07-10-2006 05:00 PM

yeah mine is the 99 model the famliy slow a$$

orkork 07-14-2006 03:53 AM

ORIGINAL: tamihottes

Any idea what the price of the fastest Challeger will be?
I am just saying if he uses those terms it seams that he is only conserned with speed! yes the speed is nice, but i dont think that if that is the only reason you want a car that you should be getting it. If you are going to go to a track and race/test run responcibly, then i have no problem, but hey dont drive down the public road @ 110 mph and kill someone!

wallstreetman 07-14-2006 09:34 AM

Stick to your Slant Six and stay out of the way!

tony_c 07-17-2006 11:03 AM

Let's just hope that D/M does not do what Ford did. Fords new GT500 was Priced at around $40,000 but dealers marked it up an additional $20-25,000. All magazine reviews list the GT500 as a $40,000 car but is anyone really able to buy it at that price. I contacted Dr. Z and the reply was basically that Dodge dealers are independent owners and they can do pretty much what they want to do pricing wise. So, whatever Dodge says the MSRP is going to be----will WE be able to buy it for that much. That is the question.

TechmanBD 07-17-2006 12:26 PM

That is correct. The MSRP is what the Manufacturer says it should be. They can't tell the dealers to sell at that price, the dealer says what th price is. Just as Ford said the MSRP is 40k, but it is the dealers who jacked the price up, because of supply and demand.

RLSH700 07-18-2006 05:48 PM

I have already done my share of speculating on this matter and I really prefer not to get into another argument but I tend to agree that the 6.1L equipped Challenger will be priced around the Charger SRT-8 model. Some dealerships initially will add mark up like they did with the GT500 and other models cars such as the Prowler. I doubt that the 5.7L model will be marked up too highly though.

freehemi 07-19-2006 09:55 PM

5 Star Dodge dealers can only sell at MSRP (or something like no more than $500 above MSRP) or they'd lose their coveted 5 Star rating. At least that was how Vipers were sold a few years ago. I don't know if this still exists or applies to all models. Feel free to check it out. Thanks, Bill

BTW, Had 2 Vipers but have kids so Magnum RT in garage and sleeplessly awaiting Challenger.

RLSH700 07-20-2006 11:55 AM

Glad to have you on the site, freehemi. Which years and models of the Viper did you have?

freehemi 07-21-2006 01:10 PM

First Viper was '95 Emerald Green, I sold it in '98 after my son was born and didnt have much time but missed it and got a '96 White with Blue Stripes in '99 then sold in '03 after daughter was born. Luckily, I won a '05 Magnum RT in summer of '04. hence the 'freehemi.'

TechmanBD 07-21-2006 02:54 PM

I won a '05 Magnum RT in summer of '04. hence the 'freehemi.'
Awesome, congrats. Like a sore dik, can't beat it.

RLSH700 07-21-2006 03:47 PM

Sweet! Which one was your favorite? Can you feel the 15 hp & 8ft-lbs of tq boost between the 1995 & 1996 model? So if you were able to get a Viper right after getting rid of the first one, why did you get rid of it in the first place?

freehemi 07-21-2006 08:23 PM

The White/blu stripes by far my favorite. Could definitely feel more power, especially since it also had Borla exhaust and K&N air filter. I didnt drive the green Viper after my son was born so I sold it in the fall. Following spring got warm again and I got the itch and a white/blue Viper-which is my favorite color combo-became available near me so once I saw it, it was as good as sold...As for the Magnum RT, simply amazing. SUV room, sports car power, Mercedes E-class comfort and ride. Highly recommend it to replace minivans and SUVS.

RLSH700 07-25-2006 10:39 AM

I hope my parents will consider one of these to replace their 02 Caravan. They need to consider something new for a change. I still can't believe they are contend with staying with the late 80s vehicle stereotype. Dodge Caravan and Ford Taurus. Oh well at least the Caravan is reliable unlike the latter.

BootCamp 07-28-2006 03:53 PM

Hope this doesn't burst anyone's bubble, but I was curious, so I sent in another question to Ask Dr Z:

Regarding the 2008 Challenger, can you verify rhumors about a DCX policy that
5-star dealerships are not allowed to mark prices above MSRP. There are
great concerns that the Challenger will be "priced out of range"
of the ordinary buyer by dealers, much like what's happened to the
Ford Shelby Mustang. Thanks in advance!
Just got this reply from "Ask Dr Z":

The Dodge Challenger concept was shown in January 2006. The all-new
Dodge Challenger will make its debut as a 2008 model, in calendar-year
2008. True to both its historical and modern concept car roots, the
2008 Dodge Challenger will be offered as a two-door, HEMI V-8 powered,
manual-transmission, and rear-drive coupe. DaimlerChrysler has not
released detailed pricing or ordering information at this time.
Because all DaimlerChrysler dealerships (including Five Star
dealerships) are independently owned and operated, dealers have the
ability to set their own prices and incentives. Therefore prices and
incentives will vary from one dealership to another. Please contact your
local Dodge dealerships for local pricing information once it becomes
available.

If you would like me to provide you with the contact information for a
dealer, or if you have further questions, please feel free to use the
reply link below. You may also call us on our toll-free number at
1-800-964-0600. When you call, I can connect you directly to your local
dealership, providing your call is during the dealer's hours of
operation.

Vielen Dank for your "Z"mail.

Sincerely,

Kristina B
Senior Staff Representative
Dr.Z's Product Information Team

Hmmmm............:eek:

awsure 07-28-2006 06:50 PM

Translation - Your friendly local dealer will provide (for a nominal fee) a tub of lube for you. Get ready to pay...

BootCamp 07-29-2006 09:56 AM

Exactly.
I think a lot of it is going to have to do with your relationship with your dealer/salesperson, and obviously, demand for the car.

A firend has a Ford that he needed to get serviced. When I took him to the dealership, they had a Shelby sitting in the showroom. The salesman said it had been there for several weeks. I asked if the prices had come down yet. He smiled and said "the price hasn't changed". I laughed and asked him how much OVER the sticker they were pricing the car. He looked at me kinda funny and I told him I didn't just fall off of the turnip truck. I knew they were pricing a car with an MSRP of about $41,000.00 at $53,195.00 (the price he gave me), and that they could let it rot in the showroom before I paid $12K over sticker. Maybe a LOT of folks feel that way, now that they've been available for a bit, and are willing to wait until they're not going to get raped on the price. He didn't follow me out to my car, BUT he didn't argue either.

I think that the longer we wait for the Challenger (after it's available), the more money we'll put in our pockets - more time for potential price gouging to abate, and more time to save a few extra $$$ to put down on the car.
Obviously, the Challenger production numbers should be well higher than the Shelby Mustang production numbers, so the initial price "should" be lower as well.
In the same vein, Dodge can't keep the Caliber in the showroom, yet the prices haven't skyrocketed. Yeah, Caliber production numbers are substantial, so it's hard to comapre the Caliber to the upcoming Challenger on that basis alone. Additionally, we have "Employee Pricing" now, so the Caliber can be had for less than if that program weren't running.
I realize I'm comparing apples and oranges, but it's all speculation anyway.
We'll just have to wait and see.

RLSH700 08-04-2006 05:03 PM

I hate it when companies talk in that stupid language that dances around the issue and doesn't answer your question directly. I don't care what they say, that ticks me off more than a straight answer does.

but it's all speculation anyway. We'll just have to wait and see.
That is what I've been saying all along. We are just going to have to wait and see what happens.

Jeremiah 29:11 08-04-2006 08:07 PM

For me, all of this discussion regarding pricing is non-productive unless we hear something official.....otherwise we might discouraged when we do hear the prices.

About the best we can do is give DCX feedback via official means. I like using energy on things we can control versus things we cannot.....but that is just me.

RLSH700 08-04-2006 08:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

For me, all of this discussion regarding pricing is non-productive unless we hear something official.....otherwise we might discouraged when we do hear the prices.

About the best we can do is give DCX feedback via official means. I like using energy on things we can control versus things we cannot.....but that is just me.
My thinking exactly. In truth, we really don't know. I suggest we find new things to talk about.

awsure 08-04-2006 10:15 PM

C'mon, he reason you have discussion forums is to discuss & speculate...

Jeremiah 29:11 08-04-2006 10:26 PM

Well, we can discuss pricing until we are blue in the face. The problem is these days companies are in such a competitive global market
that they have to have a competitive product with a competitive price and at the same time make a profit with a certain percentage of margin.

Profit and margins are something you and I cannot control so why bother about something we cannot control.

Oh, sure you can ask for a product without certain features and options to reduce price but DCX already has in its mind what it needs to
do to be profitable with a certain percent of margin for the type of car it is and what the market commands for the first year.

Ford and GM are having problems for numerous reasons and I don't think DCX wants to fall in the same trap.

Those are my thoughts.

joeyr 08-09-2006 05:01 PM

ORIGINAL: orkork

I am just saying if he uses those terms it seams that he is only conserned with speed! yes the speed is nice, but i dont think that if that is the only reason you want a car that you should be getting it. If you are going to go to a track and race/test run responcibly, then i have no problem, but hey dont drive down the public road @ 110 mph and kill someone!

I wish more people had your attitude. I live in a neighborhood where young kids drive fast up and down the street and even younger kids play in them. Sooner or later I fear someone will be hurt or worse. And since Katrina, the accidents have increased in my state. so I agree IF YOU CAN'T SAFE DONT DRIVE AT ALL.

RLSH700 08-13-2006 09:54 PM

ORIGINAL: awsure

C'mon, he reason you have discussion forums is to discuss & speculate...
Yeah but we have beaten this topic to death. I just would prefer if we could talk about something different that we have control over or have a foggy idea about.

RLSH700 08-13-2006 09:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

Well, we can discuss pricing until we are blue in the face. The problem is these days companies are in such a competitive global market
that they have to have a competitive product with a competitive price and at the same time make a profit with a certain percentage of margin.

Profit and margins are something you and I cannot control so why bother about something we cannot control.

Oh, sure you can ask for a product without certain features and options to reduce price but DCX already has in its mind what it needs to
do to be profitable with a certain percent of margin for the type of car it is and what the market commands for the first year.

Ford and GM are having problems for numerous reasons and I don't think DCX wants to fall in the same trap.

Those are my thoughts.
Exactly we only have an outside perspective, we don't really know how much the car is really going to cost for them to build. The last thing I would do if I were DCX would be to follow Ford's and GM's way of doing things. DCX has to do what is best for DCX. They are probably going to build the Challenger $2000-3000 more than the Mustang, I really doubt they will completely charge off the wall for it.

joeyr 08-24-2006 01:11 AM

according to Allpar.com

"Chrysler announced that the Dodge Challenger will be produced as a coupe, to arrive in dealerships in 2008 (as a 2008 model year car), and to be built on the same line as the 300, Charger, and Magnum. Chrysler assures us that the production car will be practically indistinguishable from the concept. We have been told to expect a price of about $31,000"...."Chrysler announced a manual transmission will be available along with an automatic, each having five speeds; an SRT-8 version will have the 6.1 Hemi while the stock Challenger will have the 5.7 Hemi (no, they will not have the new crate Hemi, nor did we expect them to). At this point we believe there will be a first-year run of about 50,000 Hemi equipped Challengers, possibly with automatics, followed by a smaller run of Hemi Challenger SRT-8 cars with manual transmissions[/b]. Rumors are flying about a 6.6 liter Hemi, but we believe that is speculation at this point. "

I am happy with the price but not thrilled with a lack of a V6 or a five speed with the 6.1, hopefully that will at least get a six, either way this info is something to think about :eek:

1 Bad Mirada 08-24-2006 10:12 AM

i should again point out that allpar isnt any sort of "official source"...their DCX sources are usually line workers in the plants, hardly people who have REAL insight into things like price. many of their "writers" (one of which i know, and hes a wind bag who rehashes what he reads elsewhere and publishes it as his own) are only taking facts, and adding their opinion, then allpar posts it and calls it fact.

plum crazy 08-24-2006 02:42 PM

In regards to Bootcamps mention of "employee pricing...My brother called me last week from a Dodge dealership and told me he was offered employee pricing on a new Dakota. The salesman claimed everyone gets employee pricing for a limited time and he did not need my employee pricing "EC" number. I talked to the sales man over the phone and told him to price it anyway using MY employee "EC" pricing. Saved my brother a little over a grand!

Guess there must be some fine print they forgot to show him!!!

Buyers beware!

Turbofire 08-24-2006 05:42 PM

Thats true and my dealer was honest about it if you have a number you get an additional amount off of "employee price".

Jeremiah 29:11 08-24-2006 05:45 PM

Who or what is allpar? Okay, I'll be nice. Why is it that everybody likes to quote them? Like 1BadMirada said, they are not an official source.

The $31K price everybody is quoting is probably coming from the contest rules from the Chrysler car contest.

joeyr 08-24-2006 08:42 PM

It was one of the first sites that had challenger info that I knew about. Even before this car, I often went to their site for the dodge srt-4 when it was a concept and production vehicle and I guess many others had a simliar experience. If you google dodge challenger concept, the allpar website will on the first search page.

Jeremiah 29:11 08-24-2006 10:55 PM

We constantly put stuff on the Challenger in the Press section before they post the information. All they do is get it from news sources, but the problem is sometimes they post it like they have insider information or like it was their original idea. This makes it look like they are a DCX source. As such people read this as gospel. This forum does not do that, at least not intentionally. We are more like reporters here.

1 Bad Mirada 08-24-2006 11:08 PM

the reason that people quote them is because they have a collection of line workers who like to spread rumors...and they turn those rumors into fact...or, they just post what everyone already knows...allpar is a FORUM...with a bunch of wannabe car and driver editors...:D i will say that they do have a great deal of information on past models, but when it comes to upcoming stuff, they are no more a source than this site is.

as for that employee pricing...when they say "employee pricing, they are implying that walk in customers get the same price as the employees, but that is seldom the case.

joeyr 08-25-2006 03:15 PM

I apogolize if you felt like I said that this site was as uncapable of reporting automotive news, the thing is when if you "google" Dodge Challenger Concept, allpar's website is the first website to appear, making them seem as the an "authority" on information pertaining to the dodge challenger. I do thank you guys (jeremiah and mirada) for telling me about their secondhand opinionated information.

1 Bad Mirada 08-25-2006 03:58 PM

allpar comes up first for alot of reasons...but the way that google works, it that is searches for the most common usages of the word for which you are searching. for instance, if you search "challenger"...it goes through the net and finds where the word challenger appears the most per page. since allpar has articles about the challenger, plus the reviews that people do...plus stuff about old challengers, the word "challenger" appears the most on their site. im sure that we are a very close second in info..if not higher, but google also ranks by age. say that you could put together the most comprehensive collection of challenger info...everything from owner testimonials to first person reviews, and stats...with quotes from the original designers. although you had the most info, if it was a brand new site, it still wouldnt rank very high since it was a brand new site. if you look around the home page, i have compiled a TON of info, and i have had people with alot more muscle car experience than myself review it to verifiy the info as being correct...however, we are still only the 10th listing on google right now..however, that has come up in the last few weeks..we were 12th.

there is alot more than just age of the site, and key words which go into the google search engine, but that is a brief overview of how it works. i dont know that anyone shy of the google owners know exactly everything that goes into it...but regardless of how it works, i try very hard to provide as much proven factual information as possible, and when i do speculate on things, i make sure that people dont think that things are fact...i dont mean to trash talk allpar, but it really pisses me off that they come across as though they have dr z posting articles, when in fact they only post rumors and pass them off as fact.

when you google dodge challenger, or dodge challenget concept, you may notice that alot of the top ten entries are magazines and such...they have very little content compared to this site, or even allpar, it makes me wonder if they dont pay to be ranked higher...

Jeremiah 29:11 08-25-2006 04:52 PM

Gosh, no need to apologize......we were just trying to make sure you knew the situation. Have fun and keep posting.

If I knew all of the answers I would look like this guy......

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/A18B49D9D537404BBF7204608A65FD1E.jpg[/IMG]

No that was Dr Zaius.......I mean this guy.......

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/A1CF508699AB41958301082325FE8B1A.jpg[/IMG]