Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Production hood

Old 12-14-2007, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Production hood

I had heard that Ford's shaker was just a trim option. Actually has a small electric motor to make it vbibrate because today's engines are built so tight and well balanced.
Steve
Old 12-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

I hope that not true...next thing they'll be a 200 watt external sound system to simulate exhaust resonance!

Old 12-15-2007, 11:24 AM

200 watt? That's it? Ha ha. It wouldn't surprise me though. After all, any car after the 70s is just a wanna be because they can never be like the original due to the governments standards. That's both a good and a bad thing.

As for the butterly valves, functional or not, they are only good for show even if they do run down to the throttle body. Any extra air to the engine is a good thing, but being that it's such a small amount and it's not forced, I don't think that there will be much change in performance. Even with a full functioning hood scoop, you will run into the same problem. Air not being forced in fast enough unless you are going at a fair speed, say 100+ I believe. Even then doesn't it need to be sucked in? I'm not sure how the funny cars and drag cars work so maybe someone can explain this whole process to me.

Not does all of that matter to me? No. I don't care if it increases my performance or not, but I want it to work, I want it to at least go through the entire hood. The California Package on the Mustangs are pathetic for this reason, just like on previous Mustangs. There's a hood scoop on it that is just for show, doesn't go all the way through and I'm sure produces a nice amount of drag. No thank you, I'll pass.

Now another question, how much is it going to cost to produce this functionality and how much is it going to cost to fix it? Is it something simple or is it something complicated that adds to the price? Either way, I thought those vavles were pretty cool to see on the video and in all reality a nice change from these fake scoops out these days.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:49 PM

funny cars have a blower. and as with a deck spoiler it is 60 mph. under that just for show. on the challanger if they run it functional the scoops would work as a cool air intake. Over 30 mph the amount the engine would have to work to take air in will be greatly reduced. The flaps work as fine tuners for air flow changes in exelarating and drop in rpm's for a daily driver they would be more for show but heck i hope they have it i'll take it, shows off true true scoops. Unlike all the stick on and fakes out there like prevease post stated.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

I am not into putting on performance parts that just look good because then they should not be called performance parts.....they better doing something to increase performance.

Having outside cool air is going to help with more denser air going into the combustion chambers. Like I mentioned before, having them elevated is better,
but having cooler air is 2nd best, it is just not forced in as hard.

Many cars make a wooshing sound with functional hood scoops as the air is being forced in but with the flaps closed it will be quieter as a daily driver....until you punch it.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Jeremiah, amen brother. That was one of the things that really didn't sit well with me for the 69.5 SuperBee with the faux air intakes in front of the back tires...I don't like non functional visual props on anything, especially cars.

Rats...had to edit this.....OK...one small exception......(the rule is proven to be a rule by the existence of the exception, right?) I do like the "ports" in all things Buik. Ray Earl? That guy hadl some chops!